C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood Head Unit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 07:04 PM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kenwood Head Unit Installation

While it’s helpful to watch youtube videos on head unit installations, there are some details that aren’t covered, which would take some of the guess work out. Generally documentation is lacking

Ready to install

What I installed

Fairly easy

Easy

Hard to push in and pull

Easy

I used a small screwdriver to pry and pull. Hard to see this without a flashlight

This is horizontal and very hard to pinch and pull.
on what is exactly being installed. Disconnecting the six console connectors on my 2012 was easy once I figured out how the connectors disconnected. The wiring usually looks a total mess, with a note that it can all be shoved to the right of the unit. I’m not saying Kenwood is the best, but I can say the wiring followed the instructions, and it totaled worked. No mention in the instructions about the three factory connectors that will not be used. The Kenwood includes the chime (sounds terrible), GPS, and mic. There are two USB cables that for me, ended up in the glove box. You lose the USB at the rear of the console. I’m sure there’s a way to reconnect it to one of the two USB’s provided. The backup camera, which is a Kenwood, plugs directly into the head unit. No cutting into the backup lights for power. Only the two large connectors from the GM11 plug into the existing factory cables. Yes, the steering wheel controls work fine. Bluetooth to the Iphone, no problem. Apple Car Play perfect. Backup camera too.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wayne Blaine:
jimmymack (07-28-2021), Mark333 (07-28-2021), Patsgarage (07-27-2021), sd45t2 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:14 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 566 Likes on 389 Posts

Thanks Wayne, helpful when folks share this kind of information so others learn from others experience. Gotta ask...is the sledge hammer used when the frustration mounts and no resolution is apparent? How often did you need to resort to that tool? LOL

Again thanks for sharing.

GD
The following users liked this post:
81VETTOM (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish this was out here when I did mine. I ended up having to buy a replacement Active Handling button.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:10 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Useful info, you should also post this in the audio section if you haven’t already.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:49 PM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

The hammer didn’t come out this time. I was prepared for a battle and took it pretty slow. Spent 3.5 hours on the install. Still have to mount the mic, and GPS.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:51 PM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by dmyers
I wish this was out here when I did mine. I ended up having to buy a replacement Active Handling button.
Yes. That connector is a bear. I almost had to stand on my head using a flashlight to see how that connector came off.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:52 PM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by NYC6
Useful info, you should also post this in the audio section if you haven’t already.
I was looking for a place to post this, but didn’t see the audio section. Thanks, I’ll try to post this there.
The following users liked this post:
NYC6 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:53 PM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdmoore01
Thanks Wayne, helpful when folks share this kind of information so others learn from others experience. Gotta ask...is the sledge hammer used when the frustration mounts and no resolution is apparent? How often did you need to resort to that tool? LOL

Again thanks for sharing.

GD
I have had so much help from this forum. I try to pay back when I can. Not much frustration on this one. Just took my time, and was very careful with the connections.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:42 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,206 Posts

The chime is actually part of the RP5-GM11 and not the Kenwood. If you had the stock navigation system and GPS antenna, you can reuse the stock GPS antenna, as it uses the same type of connecter as the Kenwood does, and plugs right into it, this'll save you from having to mount the GPS antenna that came with the Kenwood. And here's a link to the Audio/Electronics section of this forum. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/

Last edited by madsonp; 07-27-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:38 AM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by Wayne Blaine
There are two USB cables that for me, ended up in the glove box.
When I installed my DMX907S, I replaced the cigarette lighter with one of the below. The DMX907S has two USB ports and two cables - one specifically for Apple, the other for Android.

Great pictures!

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-28-2021, 09:45 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

If the chime is too loud for you, stick a small piece of electrical tape over the little hole, makes it much better.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:02 AM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXSTICK
If the chime is too loud for you, stick a small piece of electrical tape over the little hole, makes it much better.
I noticed that the chime has a volume control switch on it too. The volume is ok, just the tone sucks. Not as nice as the factory.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:07 AM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by madsonp
The chime is actually part of the RP5-GM11 and not the Kenwood. If you had the stock navigation system and GPS antenna, you can reuse the stock GPS antenna, as it uses the same type of connecter as the Kenwood does, and plugs right into it, this'll save you from having to mount the GPS antenna that came with the Kenwood. And here's a link to the Audio/Electronics section of this forum. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
Absolutely right about the chime being part of the GM11. I wish I knew about the GPS antenna being the same connection to the Kenwood. That’s another detail I never saw on install videos, or the connection instructions from Crutchfield. Thanks for you input.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

The hammer didn’t come out this time. I was prepared for a battle and took it pretty slow. Spent 3.5 hours on the install. Still have to mount the mic, and GPS.

for gps and mic i mounted them right at the rear view mirror.....

you can pull the a pillar cover no problem, and i just used my fingers to stuff the two wires into the headliner.....

if you want to go so far, grab a torx and remove the panel under the steering wheel.... and you can just pop out the gauge cluster surround with a trim tool (screwidriver wrapped with tape)....

the first time doing it sucks, but its super easy once you get the hang of where the trim pieces pop in....

glad to see people giving back to the community!!!
Old 07-28-2021, 10:16 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine is an older unit, no adjustment on the chime that I saw. I bought it used a few years ago.

Last edited by TXSTICK; 07-28-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Wayne Blaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by drewz06

for gps and mic i mounted them right at the rear view mirror.....

you can pull the a pillar cover no problem, and i just used my fingers to stuff the two wires into the headliner.....

if you want to go so far, grab a torx and remove the panel under the steering wheel.... and you can just pop out the gauge cluster surround with a trim tool (screwidriver wrapped with tape)....

the first time doing it sucks, but its super easy once you get the hang of where the trim pieces pop in....

glad to see people giving back to the community!!!

Thanks for the suggestion on the mic and GPS. I was going to run the mic cable up to the mirror. Now I’ll run both of them up there. I want the GPS to get a good signal.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:54 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

Yes. That connector is a bear. I almost had to stand on my head using a flashlight to see how that connector came off.
running the lines for my gauges under the dash....

The following 2 users liked this post by drewz06:
kanvasman (07-28-2021), unkled20 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:20 PM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 387 Likes on 240 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I noticed that the chime has a volume control switch on it too. The volume is ok, just the tone sucks. Not as nice as the factory.
Just removed (unplugged) it from the module..... Way too obnoxious for me.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:59 PM
unkled20
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by drewz06
running the lines for my gauges under the dash....
I've been in that same position more than once! I should have had my daughter take a picture of it! I was very happy to have a vert to have more head (leg) room while doing it! I'm 6'2" and needed the space.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood Head Unit Installation

Quick Reply: Kenwood Head Unit Installation