C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Skid Plates/Radiator Support

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 06:36 PM
RobertCorvette
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Damn. You really have to hit something hard and heavy to break that thing.

In my C5, I smacked the pavement coming out of a very steep exit from a gas station on the front support. Really jarred the whole car but other than scrapped, the front support was fine.
Mine was already this way when I bought the car. Didn’t realize the extent of what happened at the time. I’ve only had it for two weeks now. Apparently, come to find out, the car was driven mostly by the guy‘s wife who was handicapped and parked in handicapped spots. There is blue and scrapes behind the curve of that part. Which means she ran past the blue concrete block that prevents your tires from going too far, and backed over it. Which of course popped that thing right away I’m sure. No other way on God’s green earth paint and scrapes could get in that spot like that. My wife is handicapped and I have been parking in those spots with her for years. That’s definitely the blue.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:41 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 875 Likes on 504 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here is the part on ebay....For 05-13 Corvette C6 Front Lower Radiator Core Support Skid Bar Plate 20939829
The following users liked this post:
RobertCorvette (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:26 PM
RobertCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by DrKrieger
Here is the part on ebay....For 05-13 Corvette C6 Front Lower Radiator Core Support Skid Bar Plate 20939829
just ordered one! Thanks!😁
Old 05-25-2022, 07:50 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I guess that's ok [if] you want a cheap / low quality Chinese replacement
I've gotten made in USA units from ebay. As long as the rivnuts are installed they are all the same.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:06 PM
RobertCorvette
Racer

I got the part you suggested here and ready to install it and I see there is no threaded inserts installed in this thing. So now I’m sitting here with my car all apart scratching my head and wondering if I should just have the original welded and put back. Should’ve went to a shop.…😔
Old 06-04-2022, 06:21 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertCorvette
I got the part you suggested here and ready to install it and I see there is no threaded inserts installed in this thing. So now I’m sitting here with my car all apart scratching my head and wondering if I should just have the original welded and put back. Should’ve went to a shop.…😔
You can insert the riv-nuts yourself, go get them at the autoparts store and I made a tool with some all thread/nuts/washers that worked like a charm when I did my first radiator support bracket change. I am now like a Nascar Pit crew member after replacing 4, running on #5 right now.....lol

Good Luck!!
BMF

Last edited by BMF_C6; 06-04-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:31 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Robert - if you can't find the riv-nuts, just put your car back together and just put the middle section of your air dam back in place after you can install the riv-nuts, If I am remembering correctly, the 3 riv-nuts were only for the 3 bolts that hold the middle section of the air dam in place. You can always put these in later if you can't get them this weekend.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I made what I want to call a bush tool that would tighten down and pull on the insert compression part of the riv-nut while holding it in the hole that sets it in place out of a long shanked bolt and some nuts and washers.

Good Luck
Old 06-04-2022, 06:41 PM
RobertCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by BMF_C6
You can insert the riv-nuts yourself, go get them at the autoparts store and I made a tool with some all thread/nuts/washers that worked like a charm when I did my first radiator support bracket change. I am now like a Nascar Pit crew member after replacing 4, running on #5 right now.....lol

Good Luck!!
BMF
Nobody local can even find one. They can’t find a part number to cross reference it or nothing. Couple of places I called didn’t know what the hell they were. So your auto parts store must be the ****. Because mine all suck.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:45 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Damn. You really have to hit something hard and heavy to break that thing.

In my C5, I smacked the pavement coming out of a very steep exit from a gas station on the front support. Really jarred the whole car but other than scrapped, the front support was fine.
I think there was a design change between the C5 & C6. From what I remember hearing, the C5 was made out of steel and the C6 changed to aluminum to reduce weight.

On my #3 radiator support change I made the decision to take it to a welding shop and have it heliarc welded which made it into a BEAST - this thing was solid, all the welds were beefed up and I was so proud that I wasn't going to have to change another bracket..........WRONG! Coming out of a parking lot at an angle, the passenger side caught into a square holed drain grate and instead of popping the welds which would have let everything kind of pop back into semi place, this thing bent like a pretzel and took out my radiator and held it into the HB.........I found out why this thing was made to pop the pisspore welds.....lol
Old 06-04-2022, 06:47 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Nobody local can even find one. They can’t find a part number to cross reference it or nothing. Couple of places I called didn’t know what the hell they were. So your auto parts store must be the ****. Because mine all suck.
I know you can order/get them from a Chevy dealer - if you have one close, call before the parts dept closes
RobertCorvette (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 06:55 PM
indyblue67
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BMF_C6
I know you can order/get them from a Chevy dealer - if you have one close, call before the parts dept closes
this is what I did. Then I inserted them myself by using a bolt a couple of washers and a couple of nuts.
BMF_C6 (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 06:58 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Old 06-04-2022, 06:59 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Robert see if they can cross reference the GM Part Number at the autoparts

Last edited by BMF_C6; 06-04-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:32 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 875 Likes on 504 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Robert.......the part that I received had the nuts installed, they must have changed the design for some reason. I totally apologize that it wasn't' the same.....
Old 06-05-2022, 12:28 AM
RobertCorvette
Racer

Robert.......the part that I received had the nuts installed, they must have changed the design for some reason. I totally apologize that it wasn't' the same.....
It’s all good. It’s DONE!! God what an ordeal. 😅
Found a way around the center splitter mounts. Buttoned up tight!

BMF_C6 (06-05-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 09:34 AM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 387 Likes on 240 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by blownbayou
If you buy Ebay... make sure they have the nuts installed!!!! I found one on Amazon (no clue about the one above) with nuts installed....... When I drive the vette (emphasis on WHEN), I make sure not to run up on any grades on the road. If a speed bump is near, I go the other way.
Seems like someone said to check that :-)

Glad you got it sorted out!!!! Only thing I would do differently was to paint it.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:27 AM
C3Angel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR15
Awhile ago I ran over something on the road and really damaged that plastic skid bumper as well as the skid plate. The plastic under-bumper pads came off completely on one side, along with a cracked skid plate (GM calls it radiator support?). Over time, what was just a crack in the skid plate turned into a large break.

I have no issues driving as of now, but I know this piece is broken. My questions:

1. How serious is this issue? I havnt noticed any issues driving. What does this piece do other than act as a skid plate? Is it really a radiator support?

2. how much am I looking at $ wise to fix it? And any suggestions on what path I take? (GM part, welder, body shop etc)

3. would my car pass a state safety/emission inspection with the skid plate looking like this? My tags recently expired and I’m unsure if I need to get this fixed before getting my next inspection.

Money is tight right now and I obviously am going to address this issue, I’d just like to know how quickly I should address it

thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kinda late here but I’m new on DIY wrenching but out of all my stuff I’ve done, this has got to be the most ABC type of thing I’ve done in a while. So definitely a simple fix. They are aluminum though so if you can get a really strong one and drive with care, I think you’ll be set. Got a new one for $120 with all the hardware/rivets installed so get to searching!

Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Skid Plates/Radiator Support

Old 06-08-2022, 12:45 AM
RobertCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by blownbayou
Seems like someone said to check that :-)

Glad you got it sorted out!!!! Only thing I would do differently was to paint it.
Well, I went on the recommendation of a fellow forum member, and the ad did say they were included. Supposedly. So I thought I had that covered. This is the ad.
As far as the color, I like the look of it and I can look up there and see it (if I needed to) better than if I had painted it black.

blownbayou (06-08-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 10:42 AM
powercorvette
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good morning everyone!
I have the same problem for my 2005. mine broke and is bent. I tried to see if GM has the part but they said they don't make that part anymore. There were two part numbers that were given #15824318 and #20939828.

My question is where do you all recommend buying a replacement without doing any modifications to the bracket?
I found OEM used ones on eBay in really good shape.
Would anyone suggests going this route of buying used since it's OEM or buy new?
Old 08-22-2022, 11:15 AM
C3Angel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by powercorvette
Good morning everyone!
I have the same problem for my 2005. mine broke and is bent. I tried to see if GM has the part but they said they don't make that part anymore. There were two part numbers that were given #15824318 and #20939828.

My question is where do you all recommend buying a replacement without doing any modifications to the bracket?
I found OEM used ones on eBay in really good shape.
Would anyone suggests going this route of buying used since it's OEM or buy new?
i purchased a CranesCorvettes rad support and it fits as good as OEM. Welds are solid and it’s not hollow in many parts of it. Of course, driving with care is the best remedy but still, it was a very simple fix.
here’s the link:

https://cranescorvettesupply.com/200...cket-skid-bar/

This is a picture of the old one, it was broken by the top where the screws are held in. Overall, a great product and Goodluck with your search!

powercorvette (08-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Broken Skid Plates/Radiator Support