C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AliExpress / eBay Kaizen GT fake Morimoto tail lights: no brakes or turn signals!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 10:40 PM
BlacknBluC6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AliExpress / eBay Kaizen GT fake Morimoto tail lights: no brakes or turn signals!

I bought and installed the fake Morimoto taillights about a month ago, using the upgraded resistors as recommended in the other thread on these lights. They looked and operated fantastic for a few weeks, then out of nowhere I had a car pull up next to me in traffic to tell me my brake lights aren't working - that the spoiler light was illuminating but nothing was coming on from the four taillights.

When I got home I tried all the scenarios (brake on/right turn signal/left turn signal) and they didn't do anything, both with the lights off and then lights turned on manually. Something to note is the front turn signals and indicators in the dash are hyper flashing when selected. The tail lights do illuminate at running light intensity as they should when I had headlights turned on.

I'm at a loss. I don't think the usual "flip the connections 180 around" will do the trick in this case, they worked perfectly for three weeks and this came out of nowhere.

Anyone think they can help?

Picture for attention: fake Morimoto tails from Kaizen GT seller halfway installed.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:46 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,639 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Check the brake fuses. Having low intensity but not high means it's less likely that they're totally busted. I'd suspect the resistor box is the source of the issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
BlacknBluC6 (06-20-2024), NBVette_Canada (06-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 08:15 AM
BlacknBluC6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you talking about #8 and #15 in the passenger footwell?

Regarding your guess that the resistors are the culprit - what would you recommend for a best fix there then? I thought I did a full-proof job installing these, soldering in the suggested gold box resistors and ensuring wires were aligned at the connectors; testing them before buttoning everything up.

Thank you for the feedback here, truly appreciate it!
Old 06-20-2024, 10:12 AM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 1,053 Likes on 668 Posts

So you have running lights but no turn or brake. I would check fuses first, then bypass the resistors to see if the lights work properly. If neither of those the light could be the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by sramzzz:
BlacknBluC6 (06-20-2024), NBVette_Canada (06-21-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To AliExpress / eBay Kaizen GT fake Morimoto tail lights: no brakes or turn signals!

Quick Reply: AliExpress / eBay Kaizen GT fake Morimoto tail lights: no brakes or turn signals!