Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Kooks header problem 07 Z-06

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Z06pack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks header problem 07 Z-06

For all of you that want to install your own headers and H pipe in your garage on jack stands.....take my word for it.....it is no picnic.
Anyhow, after 8 hours and two bloody stumps for hands, the job was done and the sound and performance is fabulous HOWEVER.....the H pipe appears to be cut too long and I now have a very anoying rattle of the right muffler banging the body of the car. I have tryed to adjust it, but it appears that welding and cutting will be required.
Anyone else with a similar issue?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 967 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Z06pack
For all of you that want to install your own headers and H pipe in your garage on jack stands.....take my word for it.....it is no picnic.
Anyhow, after 8 hours and two bloody stumps for hands, the job was done and the sound and performance is fabulous HOWEVER.....the H pipe appears to be cut too long and I now have a very anoying rattle of the right muffler banging the body of the car. I have tryed to adjust it, but it appears that welding and cutting will be required.
No cutting is required. The exhaust system just needs to be adjusted. When we install these systems we put it back up on the hoist after it has been chassis dyno tested and heat cycled. We then adjust the exhaust again and tack weld the joints so they don't move.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Z06pack
Instructor

I have had it back up on the rack and was not able to find enough play. There is really no adjustment as far as I can see. If it is tight and the inserts are fully seated, what else can be done?
Thank you for the reply
Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Katech_Zach

I have had it back up on the rack and was not able to find enough play. There is really no adjustment as far as I can see. If it is tight and the inserts are fully seated, what else can be done?
Thank you for the reply

Pry the over-the-axle pipe away from the chassis with a prybar and tighten the clamp on the x pipe at the same time.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Z06pack
Instructor

Do you mean away as in "down" towards the ground or away as in "sideways" away from the trans.
Thank you once again
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM
0MR Z
Former Vendor

I had the same problem. Like Jason says it just needs some adjustment. You really have to loosen everything a little and then start adjusting from there. Don't unbolt it all..Just loosen. It took me and a friend to get it just right.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:55 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a big honking hammer and start to work..........................or not............!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Katech_Zach

Do you mean away as in "down" towards the ground or away as in "sideways" away from the trans.
Thank you once again
The over the axle pipe is probably touching the chassis. If so, pry it toward the center of the car.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:10 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 03Z, I could not get the tailpipes aligned for nothing after installing Kooks 1-3/4, catless X. So, what do I do? I use a new set on my 02Z. This time with catted X pipe. They lined up great. I wonder if the XPipe is the problem? I did hear a minor amount of clanking though that I want to look for and stop but oinly at idle.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 PM
VetteRobbie
Instructor

Default Yep - Katech is right

Katech is right. Don't get frustrated. You can adjust the pipes. I had similar issues, but if you work at the alignment you can get the pipes to fit (no problemo). I used some old country boy tricks, which I would probably get a lot of ribbing from the members on the forum that talk a big game but don't really wrench. You know, of all the parts on a car, I hate the exhaust system, that is everything but the headers. Don't cut the pipes, just work with what you've got.

If you have to, tie the pipes to the position you want. Drive the car. The heat will cause the pipes to "relax" to the tied up position. That's only if you just can't get the alignment. I know you said you don't have a rack, but it's much easier on a car lift. I know that doesn't help you, but if you could get access to one it might make the job easier. Good luck and don't give up.

VetteRobbie
www.robs427.com
check out my install on the site.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:47 AM
thumperZ06
Great State of Utah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by vegasdude
I would get a big honking hammer and start to work..........................or not............!

ThumperZ06
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Okay, found your thread. DIY definitely can have its challenges. I did a lot of my own work on my Trans Am back in the day. But if I do this, it would most definitely get done by a reputable shop and have a full wideband tune.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Been there.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
No cutting is required. The exhaust system just needs to be adjusted. When we install these systems we put it back up on the hoist after it has been chassis dyno tested and heat cycled. We then adjust the exhaust again and tack weld the joints so they don't move.

Color me impressed.......and I'm not being a smarta$$....most shops shoo you out the door the second the cars off the lift & they have your money.

You guys need to open a shop in the southeast
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 PM
camaross621
Pro

weird.. I did my Kooks 1 7/8 in 3 hours start to finish no problems. Was a little but of a B*tch getting the cats off but nothing a propane tourch and breaker bar couldnt handle with ease.. the rest was cake.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 332 Likes on 193 Posts

Jason is right on, once the system is hot for the first time, it might need to be re-adjusted. Same on any of the systems out there. We have never had any fit issues what so ever with any of the Kooks products.

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks header problem 07 Z-06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Kooks header problem 07 Z-06