Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] [VIPER MEGA MERGER} C6 Z06 Ties 2008 Viper in MotorTrend....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Agreed...z06 A Complete Sportscar Package!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by shawn h.
It's not all about #'s.

I like the Viper, but it is too raw and is simply not the World Class car the Corvette is. IMO, the Z06 is more elegantly sexy w/a nicer interior and ergonomics.

I would love to rent the Viper for one day and abuse the hell out of it, but would never consider owning one....that's the kind of car I think it is(too me of course).
Z06 is a much better car PERIOD and no bias about it. I have owned and do own several sportscars. The Z06 does everything a Viper does accept being a RARE production car (who cares) and .1 or a second faster after a hundred more horses. Viper is a great car, the new GT2 is sweet, and maybe if hyped enough the almost 4,000 pound GTR might be faster with a paltry 480hp than a Z06. Really people the Z06 into its third year now is still THE BEST ALL around sportscar period. It would take 10's in the quarter, a fine interior, sweeter handling, finer lines, and a realistic price to knock the Z06 off the pedestal. NOT EVEN CLOSE PEOPLE....not even. I own a canyon carving twin turbo Rx7, and boosted/built 930 turbo which runs dead even with my Z to 135mph, and an STS turbo Trans Am 383 LT1 and did own a blown GTO Ls2....the Z06 put is ALLLLLLLLL together in one little PACKAGE FULL of whoop *** when needed...flip the VALVES closed for cruising, and a tender interior for the ladies who try not to look at our vettes wishing they were PINK. ARGUING and trying to convince us on our site into a VIPER which have CRAP INTERIOR, LOW *** ROOFLINE FOR MIDGETS, CRAP MILEAGE, CRAP RIDE, and NO TECH CHANGES WHATSOVER is not gonna happen. Z06 baby!!!!!!! AMERICAS CAR!!!!! and many happy forums owners as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
Z06 is a much better car PERIOD and no bias about it. I have owned and do own several sportscars. The Z06 does everything a Viper does accept being a RARE production car (who cares) and .1 or a second faster after a hundred more horses. Viper is a great car, the new GT2 is sweet, and maybe if hyped enough the almost 4,000 pound GTR might be faster with a paltry 480hp than a Z06. Really people the Z06 into its third year now is still THE BEST ALL around sportscar period. It would take 10's in the quarter, a fine interior, sweeter handling, finer lines, and a realistic price to knock the Z06 off the pedestal. NOT EVEN CLOSE PEOPLE....not even. I own a canyon carving twin turbo Rx7, and boosted/built 930 turbo which runs dead even with my Z to 135mph, and an STS turbo Trans Am 383 LT1 and did own a blown GTO Ls2....the Z06 put is ALLLLLLLLL together in one little PACKAGE FULL of whoop *** when needed...flip the VALVES closed for cruising, and a tender interior for the ladies who try not to look at our vettes wishing they were PINK. ARGUING and trying to convince us on our site into a VIPER which have CRAP INTERIOR, LOW *** ROOFLINE FOR MIDGETS, CRAP MILEAGE, CRAP RIDE, and NO TECH CHANGES WHATSOVER is not gonna happen. Z06 baby!!!!!!! AMERICAS CAR!!!!! and many happy forums owners as well.

I just wished the Z06(and regular C6's) were produced in lesser quantities. GM is really diluting this wonderful car by over-producing it.

I argue w/friends that the Corvette is the most under-priced car in the world, and then you see GMS pricings on all 08's(we're still in 07)....that's really embarassing!!!

It's a shame that the marketing of this wonderful car is being handled by GM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Dolph
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilddr805

Not flaming here but you act as if the cars you have owned or do own, with exception to the Z06, can compare to current production sportscars. Sorry but the ones you have listed are not even in the same league as a Viper,Z06, etc. Even if they are "built".....

Last edited by Dolph; 11-25-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM
TAILWAG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
VIPER:
0-60 3.5 sec top speed 202
1/4 mile 11.6 at 126

Z06:
0-60 3.7 top speed 198
1/4 mile 11.7 125 mph

And the '08 Viper costs $900 less than the same '06 car, thanks to 17% better fuel milage and a lower gas tax.

Sorry guys ... I have an '08 roadster (bright blue with white stripes) on-order at INVOICE, due in March (when that color is released). Loaded, with NAV, etc, it will be less than $84K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9brEj...related&search
you should feel sorry...but that is ok, people make mistakes...
Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 299 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jkypes
i sat in the green viper at the LA auto show...

the color is amazing in person. I wouldnt mind taking one out for a spin, I love the look of it. only issue in my opinion is cabin room... I am 6'6, and my hat was hitting the visor.
Being 6'6 , I could see that being a probelm in a Gen 3, before I bought my Gen 2, I made sure to look at all the gen's to make sure I was making the right choice, The Gen 3 has much less cabin room, I'm only 5'10 so my height wasnt an issue, but my back is extremely wide, and I didnt even fit in the Gen 3 seats, the ride in the Gen 3's of far superior to the ride in my ACR, but it was just to small inside felt much heavier and a tad slower. I agree no way with your height you would fit in a Gen 3, you might get away with it in a Gen 2, Ive seen some tall guys in them, but you are better off in a Vette.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:10 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

It's not all about #'s.

I like the Viper, but it is too raw and is simply not the World Class car the Corvette is. IMO, the Z06 is more elegantly sexy w/a nicer interior and ergonomics.

I would love to rent the Viper for one day and abuse the hell out of it, but would never consider owning one....that's the kind of car I think it is(too me of course).
Both cars are world class, the Viper is indeed much more raw, interior goes to the vette, creature comforts, everyday driving, and Gizmos, goes to the Corvette, but elegant and sexy? I guess that is a matter of opinion, but in my opinion(and most others who arent blinded by brand loyalty) , in the elegant and sexy department, they arent even in the same class, you cant compare a mass produced car, with a car that is border line exotic and doesnt even produce 2 tousand units/year, actually my insurance company classifies my Viper as and exotic, and my Corvette as a Sports Car

Last edited by NytmereZ; 11-25-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Sword
Intermediate

I wouldn't worry about a Z06 being better then a Viper is vise versa. I say if you like a Z06 buy one If you like a Viper buy one. I have a Z06 Viper and a Lamborghini. I like them all and don't worry about which one is better. They all give you a different driving experience and I enjoy them all. I wouldn't mind having a Porcshe Turbo as well as a few other sports cars too!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:32 PM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

I just wished the Z06(and regular C6's) were produced in lesser quantities. GM is really diluting this wonderful car by over-producing it.

I argue w/friends that the Corvette is the most under-priced car in the world, and then you see GMS pricings on all 08's(we're still in 07)....that's really embarassing!!!

It's a shame that the marketing of this wonderful car is being handled by GM.
When they were first coming out, many thought they were underproducing. I say GM make as many as you can and still make a profit and want to do the next generation.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:34 PM
98GMEater
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
I think it's time we give the poor Viper guys a break. These poor devils have been relagated to the back seat ever since the C6Z06 arrived on the scene. Think about it. They've been getting their butts handed to them for quite a while now.
Why don't we just let them bask in a bit of sunlight, even if it's only for a couple of months. Somehow their 600hp car is a tick faster than our 505hp car. Maybe the tires have something to do with it, maybe not. Who the heck really cares.
We all know it will be a mute point once January rolls around. Then it's back to the rear seat again.
So, Viper rules if only for a couple of months.
Last time I checked, the Viper whooped the Vette for more than a decade. So frankly its been you who have been getting the *** beatings.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=98GMEater;1563427041]Last time I checked, the Viper whooped the Vette for more than a decade. So frankly its been you who have been getting the *** beatings.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 AM
laron
Pro

the c6z06 was to much for the "old" 2003-2006 Vipers on a road course......ha ha ha ha ha...you guys crack me up with all this testing on differant days/differant drivers/differant weather crap...lol...how about some same day same tester reviews of real "head to head matches?????? Thank the C6Z06 always one around the slaloms/roadcourses...thank again....Ill post it up shortly..But be warned that the real results of the "lowly 2003-2006 verts/coupes vrs C6Z06's may surprise you
Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 AM
laron
Pro

HMMMMM...

http://www.motortrend.com/features/s...12_0306_spdint
2003 Motor trend speeding shoot out.
.03 SRT10 vert=11.7 at 123
VS 2003 Z06=12.4 at 116

dayum what a smoking

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4217681.html
2007 popular mechanics
SRT10 coupe=12.1 at 121.2 mph=lap=1.15.59
VS C6Z06=12.0 at 120.9 mph =lap=1.15.74

looks like the 1/4 mile was very close with the SRT10 trapping a lil higher and being a little faster on the road course

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s_pricing.html
2007 MotorTrend
SRT10 coupe=12.1 at 120.9 mph=Lap=24.4
VS C6Z06=11.7 at 125.2 mph=Lap=24.8

Looks like the C6Z06 dominated at the strip but again the Viper was a lil quicker around they're course

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...2&Profile=1008
Autoweek
SRT10 coupe=12.3 at 117 mph=Lap=46.8 mph
VS C6Z06=12.0 at 121 mph=Lap=45.6 mph

Again the C6Z06 beats the SRT10 handily at the strip but is a lil slower through the slalom

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...7/pageId=67637
Edmonds american exotics
SRT10 coupe=12.6 at 117 mph =Lap=133.30
VS C6Z06=12.0 at 123 mph=Lap=133.04

Man the C6Z06 just dusted the viper at the strip this time..But look at those track times. Pretty impressive that a car that was significantly slower at the strip was within 2 tenths of the Z06..Wonder wich one handles better?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...owersTrack.pdf

This time The C6Z06 barely edges out the SRT10 vert in the quarter mile with a 12.2 at 118 VS the Vipers 12.3 at 116 mph...But on the road course they both pull 1.19.5 second lap times..The review then says that they preferred lapping the SRT10 vert over the C6Z06 due to it track mannerisms

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...per/stats.html
Automobile
SRT10 coupe =12.4 at xxx mph=lap=1.33.95
VS C6Z06=12.0 at xxx mph=Lap=132.75

Finally the c6Z06 beats the SRT10 by 1.2 seconds around a road course...So out of the "HEAD2HEAD"reviews I could find..Viper3...Vette2...and 1 tie...So please just remember that the next time you wanna say how the "old" SRT10's cant handle...Well theve proven the be faster than your C6Z06 more than one half the time during head to head comparisons around the road course/slalom...

Last edited by laron; 01-02-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
98GMEater
5th Gear

Originally Posted by vegasdude

No crying here. I just dont understand how he can say "They've been getting their butts handed to them for quite a while now" when in reality the Viper has been on top since 92. Lets see 1992-2005 compared to 2006-2007, which timespan would you choose.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Originally Posted by 98GMEater
Last time I checked, the Viper whooped the Vette for more than a decade. So frankly its been you who have been getting the *** beatings.
Gee, we try to give your Viper a little face time and you strike back like this?
Well, your time is up! Good-by!!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
98GMEater
5th Gear

Gee, we try to give your Viper a little face time and you strike back like this?
Well, your time is up! Good-by!!
What do you mean "a little face time"? A "little face time" would be from 06-07 where the Z06 was king. You are either delusional or in role reversal . A "little face time" would be the Vette FINALLY catching up after 15 years. And I dont expect to be flamed, I only called out a guy in a deep delirious state.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No crying here. I just dont understand how he can say "They've been getting their butts handed to them for quite a while now" when in reality the Viper has been on top since 92. Lets see 1992-2005 compared to 2006-2007, which timespan would you choose.
I haven't said anything either way. I like both cars..............but my money is spent on the Z, Twice..............just my preference..........
Old 01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

What do you mean "a little face time"? A "little face time" would be from 06-07 where the Z06 was king. You are either delusional or in role reversal . A "little face time" would be the Vette FINALLY catching up after 15 years. And I dont expect to be flamed, I only called out a guy in a deep delirious state.
To have a somewhat intelligent discussion you need to stuff the name calling. That just makes you look like you're loosing the discussion.
Instead you should have come up with some concrete evidence to back your claim. Maybe the results of SCCA Nationals and/or Runoffs for the past 10 years. Where the Viper placed compared to the Corvette. That would be a good starting place.
But no, you instead concede defeat by attacking the poster.

Get notified of new replies

To [VIPER MEGA MERGER} C6 Z06 Ties 2008 Viper in MotorTrend....

Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

To have a somewhat intelligent discussion you need to stuff the name calling. That just makes you look like you're loosing the discussion.
Instead you should have come up with some concrete evidence to back your claim. Maybe the results of SCCA Nationals and/or Runoffs for the past 10 years. Where the Viper placed compared to the Corvette. That would be a good starting place.
He isnt loosing the disscussion, Vipers did beat the snot out of the Vette , until 06-07, now the Viper is back on top, I took many beating from Vipers in my Vettes, that is why I moddded the hell out of my Z06, shortly after I got it, I now have a Viper 99 ACR , very imppressive car, with gears and exhaust Ive beaten some cars that I didnt think I was suposed to beat on multiple occations, this includes the new C6Z06, 2 new lambos, a newer porsche TT, and some pretty stacked LS1 Vettes. I havent had an ecounter with a ferrari yet, but I can say Vipers are no joke. Especially 96 and up, my friend has an 04srt and I wax him at any speed, I really think having gears really inproves the car, going from a stock 3.07 to a 3.55 really makes a huge difference.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 AM
98GMEater
5th Gear

I never resorted to childish banter, I simply said that you are delusional . If you want concrete evidence read any car magazine test between the Viper and Corvette from 92 to now, I dont feel the need to provide sources. And please dont get the impression that I dont like Corvettes.

Thank you Nytmerz for understanding what I was saying
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 AM
Exit Speed
Heel & Toe

These cars are very close in performance. Problem is people who buy these cars either don't have the nerve or the skill to extract the performance. Peace.

Quick Reply: [Z06] [VIPER MEGA MERGER} C6 Z06 Ties 2008 Viper in MotorTrend....