Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] New Front Lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
Regarding the ACR front splitter downforce, please check the magazine articles again as well as the dodge ACR video on the Viper Forum. I will as well when I get a chance.
From Autoweek: 4Feb08 Issue

That decision was understandable, but it's responsible for the ACR's curiously split personality. Visually, the car is pure ALMS racer, with a big, scimitar-shaped rear wing, a two-element front splitter/diffuser and a pair of dive planes under the headlights, all made of carbon fiber. Together, these generate a claimed 1000 pounds of downforce at 150 mph, 10 times more than the '08 base car claims.

The big rear wing contributes two-thirds of the increase. It can be adjusted through seven positions, but as delivered, it will be riveted at a rather low-downforce angle. SRT personnel recommend that owners become as fast as Archer--who helped develop the ACR--before they drill out the rivets and possibly upset balance.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Katech
Here is a little leak for you guys. We are working on a front splitter that should be available Summer 08.
-Unique design
-More features
-High quality
-Attractive price
PM sent...

Dean
Old 02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KB Aero Biscuit
From Autoweek: 4Feb08 Issue

That decision was understandable, but it's responsible for the ACR's curiously split personality. Visually, the car is pure ALMS racer, with a big, scimitar-shaped rear wing, a two-element front splitter/diffuser and a pair of dive planes under the headlights, all made of carbon fiber. Together, these generate a claimed 1000 pounds of downforce at 150 mph, 10 times more than the '08 base car claims.

The big rear wing contributes two-thirds of the increase. It can be adjusted through seven positions, but as delivered, it will be riveted at a rather low-downforce angle. SRT personnel recommend that owners become as fast as Archer--who helped develop the ACR--before they drill out the rivets and possibly upset balance.

Absolutely correct! I just checked the same article.

This is fine for me as I am NOT adding the rear wing and AM adding the APR splitter and DO have the full-body-width GM spoiler. Hopefully, this will be approximately balanced and approximate the ZR1 setup.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

It seems I am in the minority here, but I hate the look of the lips that stick out too far. I think it's one of the ugliest features on the ZR1.
Yes, I know it's there for a reason- but why wouldn't GM incorporate it's function into a front-end that didn't need the sep lip at all? As with Ferraris, Lambos, etc...
It's obviously nice to have something that protects the painted areas and can be easily replaced, but it looks odd to me. I look at the front of the ZR1 and I'm immediately drawn to the unattractiveness of that lip. CF or not, it looks silly.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Originally Posted by greenshirt77
It seems I am in the minority here, but I hate the look of the lips that stick out too far. I think it's one of the ugliest features on the ZR1.
Yes, I know it's there for a reason- but why wouldn't GM incorporate it's function into a front-end that didn't need the sep lip at all? As with Ferraris, Lambos, etc...
It's obviously nice to have something that protects the painted areas and can be easily replaced, but it looks odd to me. I look at the front of the ZR1 and I'm immediately drawn to the unattractiveness of that lip. CF or not, it looks silly.
Silly? Is functional silly to you? It makes the cars generate front downforce which helps them to be much faster on the track or during aggressive driving. Splitters also improve braking performance. Take a look at ALMS, Grand Am Rolex, Speed World Challenge GT, DTM, Australian Super Cars etc etc etc!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Silly? Is functional silly to you?
Yes, I know it's there for a reason- but why wouldn't GM incorporate it's function into a front-end that didn't need the sep lip at all?
Did you completely skip over this part of my post?

Thanks for the downforce lesson, but I'm aware of what the function is. I just don't like the way it's incorporated into the design on the front end. There are a plethora of super-fast cars with front-end designs that direct air where it needs to go for max downforce and aerodynamic purposes, many of these w/o the need for a lip that sticks out and (IMO) looks silly.
Does that make more sense?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Did you completely skip over this part of my post?

Thanks for the downforce lesson, but I'm aware of what the function is. I just don't like the way it's incorporated into the design on the front end. There are a plethora of super-fast cars with front-end designs that direct air where it needs to go for max downforce and aerodynamic purposes, many of these w/o the need for a lip that sticks out and (IMO) looks silly.
Does that make more sense?
Didnt skip it and no it doesnt make sense. There are no cars making "max downforce" without a front splitter or wing.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Silly? Is functional silly to you? It makes the cars generate front downforce which helps them to be much faster on the track or during aggressive driving. Splitters also improve braking performance. Take a look at ALMS, Grand Am Rolex, Speed World Challenge GT, DTM, Australian Super Cars etc etc etc!
100%

Go to any race track and look at the cars. I do not have a problem with a little carbon fiber bling and the splitter does not protrude out far and can be kept at stock ride height. It also retains the 3 piece flexible rub strips under the splitter. Of course, I must reserve judgment on the APR product until I actually see it and get it on the car.

The great thing about our cars is that we can each mod or not mod as we prefer. What is great for one person does not have to be great for another. We just agree to disagree.

If you look at the various APR photos you will see that this is a large piece and made of carbon fiber with what appears to be a nice finish. Given the stock piece price of around $75 (?), and how large this new splitter piece is, I doubt any aftermarket piece will be less than $300-$400. If this piece was made of plastic like the stock piece, it would be more durable, but I doubt it would look very nice. Furthermore, I am just guessing that the ZR1 carbon fiber piece will be substantially more than $650.

Time will tell on all of this!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:29 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Didnt skip it and no it doesnt make sense. There are no cars making "max downforce" without a front splitter or wing.
Not to drag this out into an unnecessary pissing match, but I'll attempt this one more time:
I FULLY REALIZE the function of a front spoiler/splitter/lip, etc., and why it exists on sportscars/racecars. The comment I made in my orig post was in regards to the DESIGN and how it's incorporated into the look of the ZR1. It sticks WAY out and looks a little odd to me.
I never commented in regards to it's function.
I own a C6Z, and I don't mind the lip, but it doesn't stick out as far as on the ZR1. That said, I'm not crazy about it on the ZO6 either.
I can't help but feel like GM is attempting to cash in on the success of the Z (in conjunction with the so called "HP wars" that have picked up steam recently) by taking what they have already developed and either making minor (i.e. easy to incorporate) tweaks, or tacking on slightly diff parts. (i.e. the front lip, the hood, and the rear spoiler) Add a few extra badges and some new wheels, and voila! New car!
Yes, I realize that the power plant is another animal altogether, but I'm strictly talking about outside appearance. For those that don't care, that's great. But considering what the ZR1 is going to cost, I think many are disappointed with the fact that it looks like a modded ZO6 and nothing more.
IMO, GM should have shelled out the extra dough to completely redesign the front fascia into something that is much more visually appealing, while obviously being functional for the task at hand in controlling all that power.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:18 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Not to drag this out into an unnecessary pissing match, but I'll attempt this one more time:
I FULLY REALIZE the function of a front spoiler/splitter/lip, etc., and why it exists on sportscars/racecars. The comment I made in my orig post was in regards to the DESIGN and how it's incorporated into the look of the ZR1. It sticks WAY out and looks a little odd to me.
I own a C6Z, and I don't mind the lip, but it doesn't stick out as far as on the ZR1. That said, I'm not crazy about it on the ZO6 either.
I can't help but feel like GM is attempting to cash in on the success of the Z (in conjunction with the so called "HP wars" that have picked up steam recently) by taking what they have already developed and either making minor (i.e. easy to incorporate) tweaks, or tacking on slightly diff parts. (i.e. the front lip, the hood, and the rear spoiler) Add a few extra badges and some new wheels, and voila! New car!
Yes, I realize that the power plant is another animal altogether, but I'm strictly talking about outside appearance. For those that don't care, that's great. But considering what the ZR1 is going to cost, I think many are disappointed with the fact that it looks like a modded ZO6 and nothing more.
IMO, GM should have shelled out the extra dough to completely redesign the front fascia into something that is much more visually appealing, while obviously being functional for the task at hand in controlling all that power.
From the FAQ:
Some aerodynamic info on your Z06.

From: "The Chevrolet Corvette: New Vehicle Engineering and Technical History" published by Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. It's a collection of SAE and other papers.

2005-01-1943 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 Aerodynamic Development pages 328-333.

"...develop the 2006 Z06 to provide it with improved high speed stability, increased cooling capability and equivalent drag compared to the 2004 C5 Z06."

"...improve front brake flow by 400%." "...200% of the previous flow rate to cool the rear brakes."

Breakdown of lift reduction @ 300 kph

Total 138 kg
Splitter 92 kg 66.7 % of total
Front wheel opening leading edge extensions 10 kg 7.4 % of total
CHMSL spoiler 36 kg 25.9 % of total

CD is the same as the C5 Z06 at .342

and the thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...2&forum_id=100
Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

faster car needs more downforce I think it looks great! My splitter is out 4"
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
KB Aero Biscuit
Racer

Your comment was that somehow GM could make a "max downforce" car without having a front splitter and that the splitter looks silly. I have yet to see a race car in a series that allows splitters to not have one and come up with something more effective. I would think the vast majority of people appreciate the driving dynamics of the ZR1 over any appearance issues. I could be wrong though!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J HEBERT
Half of that works for me though....maybe a two-fer?
AMEN!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,415 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
From the FAQ:
Some aerodynamic info on your Z06.

From: "The Chevrolet Corvette: New Vehicle Engineering and Technical History" published by Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. It's a collection of SAE and other papers.

2005-01-1943 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 Aerodynamic Development pages 328-333.

"...develop the 2006 Z06 to provide it with improved high speed stability, increased cooling capability and equivalent drag compared to the 2004 C5 Z06."

"...improve front brake flow by 400%." "...200% of the previous flow rate to cool the rear brakes."

Breakdown of lift reduction @ 300 kph

Total 138 kg
Splitter 92 kg 66.7 % of total
Front wheel opening leading edge extensions 10 kg 7.4 % of total
CHMSL spoiler 36 kg 25.9 % of total

CD is the same as the C5 Z06 at .342

and the thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...2&forum_id=100
Is anyone watching for an equivalent SAE paper on the new ZR1? Then we can determine how much added downforce (or lift reduction) comes from the new aero bits.

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Front Lip spoiler