Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Why I don't miss Removable Roofs, Verts and Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teking
Dude ...... I live in Florida and it hot as hell here in the summer.
Isn't all that cool here in Texas in the summer either. I'd rather be enclosed with the AC on than lathering on the UV protection just to go for a drive.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatdude
Isn't all that cool here in Texas in the summer either. I'd rather be enclosed with the AC on than lathering on the UV protection just to go for a drive.
haha good one and i certainly agree. most of the summer, its hotter in texas than in FL anyways
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Poor car. you should have just bought a regular C5 instead.
Hahahaha... guess you guys can't appreciate custom DIY work I've done every modification to this car myself with the help of a few great buddies. The only thing I've ever paid a shop to do was press in my poly bushings, tune the car after I put the cam in, and do my allignments.
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I am really hoping that Cobra4b doesn't end up with water leaks during a hard downpour or excessive wind noise from his windows not forming a tight seal, as a result of this project.
There won't be, GBVette has done it and I'm following his guidance... it uses oem coupe parts. The C5Z chassis is the same as the coupe chassis other than the extra crossbar where the trunk lid mounts/hinges, so the B-pillar rollbar has all the holes for the coupe hardware pre-drilled and pre-threaded. The location of the rib we molded in is dictated by the frame and the holes for the screws for the eventual trim... there's really no way to mess it up. But of course, if you've never done custom work like that I can see how you'd assume.

Oh... and if you liked my car... here's my buddy Mike's Z06 (illmac77)... another vettebarn creation

Before
Note the lack of door handles and molded rocker scoops... no shop, all owner done.

After

Some pics of the work:

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Z06 RB
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Quicksilver. I have had verts and removable roofs and I don't miss them at all. As for me, if i want the open air feeling, I will ride one of my Harleys.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Z BEACH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gannet
I read that one before. The general points he makes are true, but they only apply with caveats when we're talking about the C6Z06. The most important phrase in his post is "assuming identical stiffness properties". But they aren't the same. Can an aluminum frame be built as stiff as a steel frame? Sure. Is the C6Z06 aluminum frame as stiff as the C6 steel frame? No.

"The final Z06 frame including the magnesium roof structure
is 97% as stiff (frequencies not force per unit displacement or moment per unit
angular rotation) as the steel C6 frame.", from post #18 in this thread.

Changing the frame of the Z06 to steel would result in improvements in some aspects of performance, and degradations in others. And the same would be true for adding a targa or vert, even putting frame material aside.

None of that is the point, imo. Customers who choose a targa or vert for their high-performance street car know (or should know) the trade-offs they are making. Let them make that choice, and sell them the car. For those who want the benefit of the aluminum frame, let them buy that. I stongly suspect GM "forces" us to buy the aluminum frame on the Z06 because they know darn well that very few people would pay extra for it otherwise, and then production volumes would be too low to make it practical. They essentially "bribe" us to buy the AL frame with the 427. Why do they bother? Because they want to prove-out aluminum frame production technology with their vendors.

That's now done, and as of July 14th the Z06 will no longer be King. So we'll see what happens next year, and the year after.

Hands up, every current Z06 owner who would consider trading up to a targa or vert C6Z06 if the factory offered one, even if it had a steel frame?

I would.
I've had a bunch of hot rods in my day, I think a lot of the technology in the c6's (I had a coupe and own a 06Z). I think the 06Z is a landmark automobile for all time, both foreign and domestic. I have 2 verts, both of them have Harley-Davidson written on them
Old 05-13-2008, 03:28 AM
sickblackvert
Instructor

to quicksilver i say go rent a 2008 vert for just one day, put the top down and you will probably be trading your z06 in

the car is faster with the top up, but sometimes on the street you just want to cruise open air style, come on everyone loves a sunroof, its an upgrade on almost every car.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sickblackvert
to quicksilver i say go rent a 2008 vert for just one day, put the top down and you will probably be trading your z06 in

the car is faster with the top up, but sometimes on the street you just want to cruise open air style, come on everyone loves a sunroof, its an upgrade on almost every car.
Reading is fundamental. He's owned corvette convertables. He doesnt miss them.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Reading is fundamental. He's owned corvette convertables. He doesnt miss them.
Thank you.

i have personally owned verts and coupes and now the Z06. I don't miss the vert at all.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you.

i have personally owned verts and coupes and now the Z06. I don't miss the vert at all.
I was parked next to a last generation GT Mustang convertible today at Albertsons and walking back to the car, the owner of the GT was behind me and said she'd trade me. I told her no convertible for me thanks. I've taken the targa off less times than I have fingers on one hand. Complimented her on her car and went on my way.

Not to mention I'm not sure how well she could handle 550hp.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

If I could leave the targa top off I would. For as many people here who say they have only taken the top off once or twice, I do it whenever possible.

Anyway, this thread has started to sound like the "I hate your Corvette options" thread. Sad, really.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
sickblackvert
Instructor

Thank you.

YOU NEED TO RENT A 2008 LS3 VY VERT! its a different beast
Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
dschimp
Navigator

That was it with me, I rarely let the top down or removed the roof panel.

And when I did it was like ......OK....I don't see the big deal here other than the wind beating the crap out of my ears, loose items like gasoline receipts or any other loose paper I had in the car blowing around, the sun beating the crap out of my arms and legs if I was wearing shorts and short sleeves, and no trunk space for my golf clubs if the roof panel was off or the vert top down. .

When I get to where I'm going, I'm going to have to button everything back up and when I got ready to leave I rarely if ever bothered to lower or remove the tops for the return trip. ..... So it got to where I wouldn't bother for the trip out either. And I never left it in the garage with the top off.

But no, to reiterate, I don't miss a removable top on my Corvette at all.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up my '08 Coupe...but, having ridden in plenty of convertibles in the past, I was expecting a lot of wind noise and buffeting with the top off at speed. The day I got the car, my Dad and I were cruising on the highway at 65-70mph having a conversation with normal voices, no problem. There was a little wind, but it wasn't obnoxious or uncomfortable at all. Maybe others are more sensitive to it, but the wind doesn't bug me one single bit. I fell in love with the Z06 when I first saw it, but after owning my Coupe, I don't know that I could get into a Corvette that didn't have a removable roof...it's just so much more fun to drive with the top off on a nice day.

I'll take the roof off (takes about 30-40 seconds) just to go for a 5 minute drive, put the roof back on and go in the store and pop it off again for the 5 minute drive back home. I really don't think it's that inconvenient or a big deal at all; but it really does make driving the car so much more fun on a nice day...oh, and my girlfriend's hair (which is reasonably long) doesn't get messed up at all when riding shotgun. Maybe I have some kind of optional aero package or something

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why I don't miss Removable Roofs, Verts and Automatics