Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any details on new Z06 dry sump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Paul330
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any details on new Z06 dry sump?

Is the only difference for the 2009 Z06 (& ZR1) dry sump system the larger capacity? Or are there other significant differences as well? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 123 Posts

1) The oil reservoir has a side tank grafted onto it for extra capacity. It's inside the fender toward the door hinges, hard to see. This setup was chosen instead of enlarging the main reservoir, to preserve the designed flow through the internal baffles, screens, etc.

2) There is a small oil cooler added to the left side of the oil pan just ahead of the oil filter, in addition to the main oil cooler.

Last edited by ZL-1; 06-05-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
1) The oil reservoir has a side tank grafted onto it for extra capacity. It's inside the fender toward the door hinges, hard to see. This setup was chosen instead of enlarging the main reservoir, to preserve the designed flow through the internal baffles, screens, etc.

2) There is a small oil cooler added to the left side of the oil pan just ahead of the oil filter, in addition to the main oil cooler.

I wonder if it will be an easy, affordable upgrade which if done by the dealer will preserve the waranntee .......

DH
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by ZL-1

With those changes the capacity has been increased from 8 quarts to 10.5 quarts.

Last edited by talon90; 06-05-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 PM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

sweet..hope this can be easily retrofitted to out 2006-2008 Z06s?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's Lingenfelter's $249 answer:

Under prolonged high cornering loads such as those found on a banked race track with a vehicle with racing slicks, some customers have reported low oil pressure on the 2006-2008 Z06 Corvettes. The Lingenfelter Performance Engineering modified oil tank design was developed to help eliminate this problem. Designed to fit in the stock dry sump oil tank location with no modifications to the vehicle, the Lingenfelter modified oil tank increases system capacity by roughly 3 quarts, bringing total capacity up from 8 quarts to 11 quarts and increasing the capacity of the tank alone from 6 quarts to 9 quarts (a 50% increase).

The added oil volume will also help reduce high oil temperature spikes under certain high engine load conditions by increasing the amount of fluid in circulation and the amount of time it takes to heat up that fluid. The added oil volume should also improve engine durability and reduce oil property degradation in road racing conditions. The factory oil dipstick will still function correctly and the same indicator mark is used to indicate the new “full” oil level.

Included with the modified oil tank are new seals for the oil lines as these should be replaced every time the lines are disconnected.

This oil tank is not recommended for vehicles that do not see road coarse use with full slicks as the added oil capacity should not be needed on these vehicles since they should not be able to achieve high enough cornering loads for long enough periods of time to experience the oil pressure drop off problem.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST

Under prolonged high cornering loads such as those found on a banked race track with a vehicle with racing slicks, some customers have reported low oil pressure on the 2006-2008 Z06 Corvettes. The Lingenfelter Performance Engineering modified oil tank design was developed to help eliminate this problem. Designed to fit in the stock dry sump oil tank location with no modifications to the vehicle, the Lingenfelter modified oil tank increases system capacity by roughly 3 quarts, bringing total capacity up from 8 quarts to 11 quarts and increasing the capacity of the tank alone from 6 quarts to 9 quarts (a 50% increase).

The added oil volume will also help reduce high oil temperature spikes under certain high engine load conditions by increasing the amount of fluid in circulation and the amount of time it takes to heat up that fluid. The added oil volume should also improve engine durability and reduce oil property degradation in road racing conditions. The factory oil dipstick will still function correctly and the same indicator mark is used to indicate the new “full” oil level.

Included with the modified oil tank are new seals for the oil lines as these should be replaced every time the lines are disconnected.

This oil tank is not recommended for vehicles that do not see road coarse use with full slicks as the added oil capacity should not be needed on these vehicles since they should not be able to achieve high enough cornering loads for long enough periods of time to experience the oil pressure drop off problem.
Now, that looks like a cheap and good upgrade!

Jim
Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I wonder how cold the oil will run during daily driving situations. My oil barely makes it to 150* after 30 minutes of driving to work.

Maybe its OK to run cold oil. After all GM is adding more capacity and an additional cooler on the 09

DH
Old 06-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Just how is increased oil tank capacity helping with sustaining oil pressure at high lateral "G's"? I understand the LS-9 needing the extra oil tank capacity for heat dissipation due to it being FI and the oil cooling of the pistons via the squirters. Is there an oil pickup problem in the LS7 oil system that was fixed in the LS9 system?

Found some info:

Oiling system: The LS9 uses a dry-sump oiling system that is similar in design to the LS7’s system, but features a higher-capacity pump to ensure adequate oil pressure at the higher cornering loads the ZR1 is capable of achieving. An oil-pan mounted oil cooler is integrated, too, along with piston-cooling oil squirters located in the cylinder block. The expanded performance envelope of the Corvette ZR1 required changes to the dry sump system also used in the Z06. System capacity is increased and scavenge performance improved to meet the demands of Chevrolet's highest-performance sportscar.

These changes will make a difference in maintaining oil pressure, but will be harder to add to the 06-08 models .

Last edited by Minkster; 06-06-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I wonder how cold the oil will run during daily driving situations. My oil barely makes it to 150* after 30 minutes of driving to work.

Maybe its OK to run cold oil. After all GM is adding more capacity and an additional cooler on the 09

DH

Actually, it's not OK to run cold oil. Oil needs to get to proper operating temp to burn off acids that cause premature break down of molecule chains in the oil. That's why larger capacity aftermarket oil tanks are not recommended for street cars. I'm sure the new '09 factory system is designed to let the oil get to proper temp with the extra capacity, probably by some sort of plumbing/valve arrangement by the looks of the picture above. That also might make it hard to add to early models as it might be PCM controlled.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Minkster
Actually, it's not OK to run cold oil. Oil needs to get to proper operating temp to burn off acids that cause premature break down of molecule chains in the oil. That's why larger capacity aftermarket oil tanks are not recommended for street cars. I'm sure the new '09 factory system is designed to let the oil get to proper temp with the extra capacity, probably by some sort of plumbing/valve arrangement by the looks of the picture above. That also might make it hard to add to early models as it might be PCM controlled.
Rich

Maybe they are putting in a themostat controll.

My temp never gets over 150 unless I purposely drive it hard in low gears or take it to the canyons. I even drove all the way from Camarillo to Longbeach today, with AC and stop and go fwy, and 85*, and my temps got up to a whopping 174 !!!!!!!!!

Are you in town this weekend??

DH
Old 06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Rich

Maybe they are putting in a themostat controll.

My temp never gets over 150 unless I purposely drive it hard in low gears or take it to the canyons. I even drove all the way from Camarillo to Longbeach today, with AC and stop and go fwy, and 85*, and my temps got up to a whopping 174 !!!!!!!!!

Are you in town this weekend??

DH
Thermostat control would be very complex and unnecessary since our oil is cooled by air, not engine coolant. This car has very efficient and effective oil cooling for street driving, and completely adequate for HPDE if the motor is in stock trim. Once you start modding, all bets are off. Although, I would like to have a Dewitts type radiator with metal tanks vice the plastic ones on the stock radiator.

Yeah, I'm here this weekend, what's up?

Rich
Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thermostat control would be very complex and unnecessary since our oil is cooled by air, not engine coolant. This car has very efficient and effective oil cooling for street driving, and completely adequate for HPDE if the motor is in stock trim. Once you start modding, all bets are off. Although, I would like to have a Dewitts type radiator with metal tanks vice the plastic ones on the stock radiator.

Rich
What is sufficient at an HPDE? I see 280's during HPDE's. Oil pressure at idle as low as 12.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rich
Actually a thermostatic control would be fairly easy to do in a Z or a ZR. You can install an aftermarket oil temp controller into the oil cooler lines. If the temp is below set point, the oil is bypassed around the cooler and directly back to the engine, if the temp is above the setpoint then oil is allowed to flow through the oil cooler and then back to the engine. It is a 4 way valve that includes a built in thermostat that will open and close with oil temperature. There are some available from the aftermarket suppliers such as Perma-Cool:

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by outnumbered
What is sufficient at an HPDE? I see 280's during HPDE's. Oil pressure at idle as low as 12.
From what I have read, as long as you're not over 300 deg sustained you're OK. That oil pressure sounds kinda low though, I would have it checked out. Here's a good thread :

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...light=oil+temp
Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
Actually a thermostatic control would be fairly easy to do in a Z or a ZR. You can install an aftermarket oil temp controller into the oil cooler lines. If the temp is below set point, the oil is bypassed around the cooler and directly back to the engine, if the temp is above the setpoint then oil is allowed to flow through the oil cooler and then back to the engine. It is a 4 way valve that includes a built in thermostat that will open and close with oil temperature. There are some available from the aftermarket suppliers such as Perma-Cool:

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html
I don't think I would want to be cutting oil lines to install this type if temp controller. Rather have it (valve switching) done in the block/tank and keep integrety of the lines. If the factory were to do it, I'm sure that's how it would be done IMO.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think I would want to be cutting oil lines to install this type if temp controller. Rather have it (valve switching) done in the block/tank and keep integrety of the lines. If the factory were to do it, I'm sure that's how it would be done IMO.
Personally I wouldn't mess with it. The system as it is from GM is adequate for most of the drivers that purchase the cars. In case of the avid road racers that track there cars on a regular basis, then there are several improvements that can be done to the system. The LPE tank mod for one and also a newly designed oil pan from www.drysump.com will cure the issues of oil starvation at sustained high G turns.

Get notified of new replies

To Any details on new Z06 dry sump?

Old 06-07-2008, 01:05 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

nice!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
Personally I wouldn't mess with it. The system as it is from GM is adequate for most of the drivers that purchase the cars. In case of the avid road racers that track there cars on a regular basis, then there are several improvements that can be done to the system. The LPE tank mod for one and also a newly designed oil pan from www.drysump.com will cure the issues of oil starvation at sustained high G turns.
I agree, the stock system is adequate. I still don't understand the suggestion that increased capacity will help prevent oil starvation unless there are places in the oil system where oil is being trapped during high lateral "G". As long as the pickup in the tank is covered, there will be oil supply to the pump. That is why the tank is tall and narrow, to ensure that there will be oil over the pickup at all times.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:25 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree, the stock system is adequate. I still don't understand the suggestion that increased capacity will help prevent oil starvation unless there are places in the oil system where oil is being trapped during high lateral "G". As long as the pickup in the tank is covered, there will be oil supply to the pump. That is why the tank is tall and narrow, to ensure that there will be oil over the pickup at all times.
I don't really know the dynamics of how it all works and why there is a starvation problem in these things either. But I can tell you that fluids will act in a manner unlike anything you can think of. The reason I say this is because I spent 20+ years in the pulp and paper industry as a EE specializing in process controls. In the paper machine dryer cans where the paper is dryed, which are heated by steam, which produces condensate as the paper cools the cans, the condensate (water) acts really strange in a dryer can that is rotating at over 500 to 1000 RPM. This dryer can be 60+ inches in diameter and over 25 feet long. Getting the steam condensate out can be a problem if the cans siphons are not designed correctly. I have seen video simulations of water in dryer cans at various speeds and its rather amazing as to what its doing inside a huge rotating drum such as a paper machine dryer can. Typical flow rates out of a dryer can on a large paper machine can be as high as 75 gpm, thats a LOT of steam that is being condensated back to water

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any details on new Z06 dry sump?