Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] taking z to the car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I wash my car myself. But because of the cold weather I am forced to bring my Z to a hand car wash place.

The beauty of it is after speaking to the owner of a hand wash/detail shop by me he lets me bring my own soap, towels, Zaino products, shammy etc. None of their towels, etc. ever touch my car. It works out great, the shop still makes money and I get to use all my detail products.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drew, your posts and responses have always seemed reasonable and rational. Sooo...how long have you been off of your meds? Is someone forcing you to post this query? Did you eat one too many "magic" mushrooms? Did you have a recent nasty fall? Can someone go visit Drew and make sure he is alright? Something is definitely amiss...
Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
MAGDANA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is a friend with a driveway and a hose hooked up to water. You do the rest. Be sure to wind up the hose when you are finished and leave a brewski on the door step.

Joe Johnson
www.MAGDANA.com
Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 PM
eurotrashkicker
Racer

is it me or are these cars super easy to wash. Maybe it's the body lines but I can wash my car in about 15 mins, the detailing take another 45, but in about an hour the car looks perfect. I like washing mine myself. As I wash her i can do a very careful inspection for any flaws and take care of em before they breed.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage Runner
Drew, your posts and responses have always seemed reasonable and rational. Sooo...how long have you been off of your meds? Is someone forcing you to post this query? Did you eat one too many "magic" mushrooms? Did you have a recent nasty fall? Can someone go visit Drew and make sure he is alright? Something is definitely amiss...
i must be off my meds to think that someone else could actually wash the car! i asked a simple question about if the z would fit on that conveyor track thing and people are flying off the handle. you guys do realize that the z is painted the very same way every other car on the planet is painted and all the other cars "survive" car washes. now i would not take any of my cars through the brush kind but if there is a human being there with a wash mitt, what is the difference from doing it myself. you guys also must have missed the part where it is winter here and all outdoor water needs to be shut off. so this only pertains to 2-3 washes through the winter as i don't drive the car all that much this time of year. once april comes around i do it my self all summer long.

Last edited by jerseydrew; 01-04-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by miwung
self service high pressure wash station or wash at home.....

say no way to auto washes man!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
do you guys take the z to the car wash. i have a local place that does hand washing but has an automated track to move the car down. will the z fit on these type tracks?
Tracks???

I've never seen them except in car washes that include turn/twist/scratch brushes. Yikes.

Here is BC we have true touchless car washes. If you have one available in your area (internet search), I'd recommend that over any rail-type system (I'm not certain the Z could even fit-I would refrain from doing so). The touchless system is great to get most of the dirt off-the touchless system I've referred to.

Red Cell.

Last edited by Red Cell; 01-04-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: No Reason
Old 01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Cell
Tracks???

I've never seen them except in car washes that include turn/twist/scratch brushes. Yikes.

Here is BC we have true touchless car washes. If you have one available in your area (internet search), I'd recommend that over any rail-type system (I'm not certain the Z could even fit-I would refrain from doing so). The touchless system is great to get most of the dirt off-the touchless system I've referred to.

Red Cell.
the local wash here (the only one i would use) has the tracks to push the car through the building. but in the building are a bunch of actual people with wash mitts and water and soap sprayers. so it is a real hand wash but the car moves down on a conveyor system.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
BenThere
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
the local wash here (the only one i would use) has the tracks to push the car through the building. but in the building are a bunch of actual people with wash mitts and water and soap sprayers. so it is a real hand wash but the car moves down on a conveyor system.
I dunno, still sounds like ther could be some risk of damage to the wheels.

Just a suggestion FWIW, if you do decide to go there, you could consider asking the guys for fresh mitts and to change the water in the bucket if they use them.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

We have the same kind of hand car wash here in CT. The cars go through the car wash on a conveyor belt (no rails) and is hand washed by actual people. I went to check the place out first before I gave it a try with my Z. The owner said that they take every precaution they can and they use clean towels to dry each car. You can watch the car during the whole process. They also vacuum the car, clean the windows and dash, and detail the tires. I tired it once and they did a great job and I was able to spend more time driving my car then cleaning it.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I wash mine in the garage. I use detail spray and a couple microfiber towels.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Maui
I wash mine in the garage. I use detail spray and a couple microfiber towels.
Well gheepers...living in Hawaii you probably celebrate a wash job as an annual event

Quick Reply: [Z06] taking z to the car wash?