Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vs. Z51 (again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 AM
hgerhardt
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 vs. Z51 (again)

Hello all, first post here. I don't have a C6 yet, but help me make up my mind: These days, we can get a 2-year old Z06 for the same $$ as an '09 Z51 (about $45K). I've read the archives and seen the passionate prose about the Z06 mostly... and wondered:

1. The '09's (and '08's) have "better" steering feel due to a reworked steering gear with better bearings and stiffer intermediate shaft. Is the new stuff noticeably better? Can the new steering gear and shaft be retrofitted to the older cars easily enough?

2. The '08-up base cars have a new trans and shift mechanism for allegedly better shift action and more strength. The Z06 always had a different trans and shifter anyway... how does the older Z06 shift action compare to the '08-up base cars?

I drove an '06 Z06 around the block recently and loved the engine. The trans wasn't bad either, but the steering felt somewhat numb. Then again, I never went over 45 mph, so I really can't make a good judgement on that. One thing that struck me was how loud the exhaust was in the car. Didn't check if the butterflies were open all the time, though.

A week later, I drove an '09 convertible stick car around a different block and what struck me about that car was better steering feel on-center and an extremely light clutch. Could have pushed it down with my pinkie. Didn't like that and wished for a bit more pressure. Power was adequate, but not as impressive as the Z. Shift action seemed about the same as I remembered the Z. And the exhaust was quieter than the Z.

What to do...
Heinrich Gerhardt
95 Z28 6-spd, 66 GTO EFI, BMW R1150RT, RV-6
Old 03-15-2009, 01:08 AM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, you test drove them both.... it is really up to you and what you prefer. 2008 and newer do have the improved steering and if you can tell the difference, go with it. With some patience and some luck, I'm sure you will see some 08 Z06's in your price range.

Happy hunting!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:51 AM
SB60
Pro

What I have found is that every year they boast about something being better than last year. That is how they sell cars! I have an 07 Z06. It works just fine! Turns & shifts better than anything I have ever owned. Go with your gut! At least you're doing your research. When you finally get a car, it will be the right one!
Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,055 Likes on 827 Posts

Just traded my '06 Z51 car for a "new" (never titled) '08 Z06, today. There's really no comparison whatsoever, not insofar as performance goes.

What surprised me about the Z06 v.s the Z51?
How much better the Z06 shifts and how much lighter the clutch feels than the Z51.
But aside from the additional 105 HP, from behind the wheel to me the cars feel quite similar. Of course I'm no race driver, either.

Superior power notwithstanding, I will miss the removable roof panel.
That's an exceptionally nice feature of the reg C6 v.s. the Z06.
I'll get over it, though.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Just traded my '06 Z51 car for a "new" (never titled) '08 Z06, today. There's really no comparison whatsoever, not insofar as performance goes.

How much better the Z06 shifts and how much lighter the clutch feels than the Z51.
But aside from the additional 105 HP, from behind the wheel to me the cars feel quite similar. Of course I'm no race driver, either.

100% agree with this. The new steering is a little nicer on the 09, but there's no way I would pass on the Z06 to get that.

The big differences between these cars for me are the roof and the performance. Steering/brakes/clutch is a toss up, they are very minor improvements. The LS3 to LS7 and wide body upgrades aren't minor...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Cobra604
Advanced

Originally Posted by hgerhardt
Hello all, first post here. I don't have a C6 yet, but help me make up my mind: These days, we can get a 2-year old Z06 for the same $$ as an '09 Z51 (about $45K). I've read the archives and seen the passionate prose about the Z06 mostly... and wondered:

If you're financing, do not only look at the OTD numbers, pay attention to the '08s 0%. Total of payments is what you actually pay. Seriously, look at a new '08 with 0% financing. It's not a smart thing to do at all to pay cash for an '08 when it has 0% available, unless you just really think the extra $2,000 is for you. If you need info on a dealer that will get right with you on the price, I can help with that... PM me. Ten months ago, at 5.6% financing, my loan would have had me paying about $7,000 more dollars in financing charges. Remember total of payments, whether it's 1 or 60, is what you're really paying.

1. The '09's (and '08's) have "better" steering feel due to a reworked steering gear with better bearings and stiffer intermediate shaft. Is the new stuff noticeably better? Can the new steering gear and shaft be retrofitted to the older cars easily enough?

My trade in was an '08 C6, so I can't really comment here.

2. The '08-up base cars have a new trans and shift mechanism for allegedly better shift action and more strength. The Z06 always had a different trans and shifter anyway... how does the older Z06 shift action compare to the '08-up base cars?

Interesting, my C6 was definately "broke in" at 29K miles, but I think the C6 shifted easier than my Z06, ESPECIALLY after putting Poyal Purple in it.

I drove an '06 Z06 around the block recently and loved the engine. The trans wasn't bad either, but the steering felt somewhat numb. Then again, I never went over 45 mph, so I really can't make a good judgement on that. One thing that struck me was how loud the exhaust was in the car. Didn't check if the butterflies were open all the time, though.

I like the engine as well, however, I drive pretty slow and it does not like to be lugged down the way I did the C6. A difference in my Z06 is the "Enhanced Acoustic Package" which makes my Z06 quieter than my C6 on the inside. (C6 was a 2LT, my Z06 is a 3LZ.) With Mild2Wild "on" you can barely hear any exhaust at all.

A week later, I drove an '09 convertible stick car around a different block and what struck me about that car was better steering feel on-center and an extremely light clutch. Could have pushed it down with my pinkie. Didn't like that and wished for a bit more pressure. Power was adequate, but not as impressive as the Z. Shift action seemed about the same as I remembered the Z. And the exhaust was quieter than the Z.

I was actually looking for a convertible first (with automatic for my daughter) and I don't think my C6, or the convertible either one, track as well as the Z06, straight or winding. I suspect the exhaust noise in any of them would depend a lot on if it has the "Enhanced Acoustic Package" or not, in my experience. Many would rather it be louder anyway. These are the only two Corvette's I ever owned.

Something that you did not ask about, seats. I was informed here on this sight, that the seats have less support in the Z06 to save wieght. I believe this is true, as I don't think the seats are nearly as supportive, across the total seating area, in my Z06 as the C6 was. Not sure how I'm going to feel about that on long trips (I've only had the Z06 for two days) but we'll see. In the grand scheme of things, seat swapping (or rework) is minor stuff and would not have a bearing on my decision.

What to do...
Heinrich Gerhardt

The only fair comparison that I could give on ride is that the day I got out of the Z51 C6 it had 29K miles on it. I got in the Z06 with no miles and it rode so much better, I was truly suprised.

I am very glad that bought the Z06. I'm glad I bought an '08 with 0%. I love the car and everything it represents... Damn, I'm getting flamed on that statement.

Last edited by Cobra604; 03-15-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I've already owned four C6s. The last before the Z06 I have now was a 08 Z51. To address your questions, yes - the shifting is noticably better on the Z06, and the 08 was noticably better than the LS2's I had. I was surprised that the Z06 felt better than the 08 though - they have the same transmission but apparently there is a subtle difference in the shift mechanism.

The steering is different on the 09 (as was the 08 car). BUT, let me say this about it that nobody else seems to point out. The steering has a very nice roller bearing feel that turns with precision - but there is not great real steering feel. By this I'm talking about the feel of the road that German cars are so famous for.

They've made the mechanism feel nice and easy to turn and it feels like greased snot was used for lubrication. But they forgot about road feel. I personally think they have more work to do. It's not that it feels dangerous and you won't lose sleep over it - I just think its over rated.

Having said all that, I don't think any of the things you asked about would be deal breakers. These are incremental improvements - but small increments.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 AM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the best advice I could possibly give you. Choosing which car is right for you cannot happen on the computer. This is a situation where you MUST spend some time behind the wheel of both cars. Take a good long test ride (Not ten minutes around the block) and get a good feel for both. Then go home and think it over. Whichever car puts a smile on your face whenever you think about it is the one you should buy!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Hopefully you'll get over missing the removable roof. I have an 08Z that I've had since new for almost a year and a half & although it is a fabulous car, I'm likely going to replace it with a 2010 C6/F55 coupe with a see/thru removable roof/ manual tranny that I'll supercharge. I already have an 06 C6/F55/A6 LPE Maggie supercharged ride as my other daily driver & Imho it's a better all around daily driver street car.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Cobra604
Advanced

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Here's the best advice I could possibly give you. Choosing which car is right for you cannot happen on the computer. This is a situation where you MUST spend some time behind the wheel of both cars. Take a good long test ride (Not ten minutes around the block) and get a good feel for both. Then go home and think it over. Whichever car puts a smile on your face whenever you think about it is the one you should buy!
100%

But I value the feedback from my post ("Z51 or Z06") immensely. I knew some things to look for in my drives, and ultimately, my decision, that I didn't kow before asking.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 AM
MChicado
Racer

What to do...
Heinrich Gerhardt
I had a very good, and long time vette owner, sell his Z51 for a Z06 once he rode/drove my 07 Z06. He has never been happier!

My suggestion would be that if you truly love to drive (the experience of doing) verse just need transportation, then get the Z06 hands down. Z51 are fun and good; however, Z06 are exciting and special.... that is the difference to me my friend.

V/R,

MC
Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Cobra604
Advanced

Originally Posted by MChicado
My suggestion would be that if you truly love to drive (the experience of doing) verse just need transportation, then get the Z06 hands down. Z51 are fun and good; however, Z06 are exciting and special.... that is the difference to me my friend.

Very well put.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
hgerhardt
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
...Choosing which car is right for you cannot happen on the computer. This is a situation where you MUST spend some time behind the wheel of both cars. Take a good long test ride (Not ten minutes around the block) and get a good feel for both. ...
In an ideal world, that would be great. And would make my questions irrelevant. But I don't know anyone who's got a Z that I could borrow/rent for a weekend to test... I live in the South Bay area of LA... hint, hint... and have plenty of good German beer in my fridge...

Mt '66 GTO has around 700 HP when the horn button is pressed and 550 HP on the motor, so I'm no stranger to "too much" power... that's why I'm leaning toward the Z.

But seriously, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Heinrich
Old 03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Cobra604
Advanced

Mt '66 GTO has around 700 HP when the horn button is pressed and 550 HP on the motor, so I'm no stranger to "too much" power... that's why I'm leaning toward the Z.
Apparently I need a new horn button!!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM
hgerhardt
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jschindler
... BUT, let me say this about it that nobody else seems to point out. The steering has a very nice roller bearing feel that turns with precision - but there is not great real steering feel. By this I'm talking about the feel of the road that German cars are so famous for.

That's what I liked about the Boxster S I drove recently. Also the seats are great in the Boxster, especially compared to the floppy foamy things that pass for seats in all Corvettes. However, what I didn't like about the Boxster was the lack of power, the wimpy and weak exhaust note, and the fact that I simply don't fit (I'm 6'2").

Anyone tried to retrofit the Recaros out of the new CTS-V into a C6 yet?

Heinrich
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Hopefully you'll get over missing the removable roof.
Taking the ZCar out in a few minutes for the first one-on-one drive. I'll predict I won't think about that top one time meaning the process of forgetting has already begun.

I have an 08Z that I've had since new for almost a year and a half & although it is a fabulous car, I'm likely going to replace it with a 2010 C6/F55 coupe with a see/thru removable roof/ manual tranny that I'll supercharge.
You'll literally have the best of both worlds.

FWIW I fully understand the need for regidity in the Z06; hence, the FRC. However Chevrolet began offering a SC'd version vis vi the ZR1 because --I presume-- people were spending their money in the aftermarket to SC their motors, and, Chev wanted a piece of the action. Fair enough. So why not offer the Z06 with removable roof panel w/ extra stiffening to compensate?
I'd go for such a car in a NY minute.

I already have an 06 C6/F55/A6 LPE Maggie supercharged ride as my other daily driver & Imho it's a better all around daily driver street car.

Obviously unlike myself, you are a genuine race car driver.
Seriously the power of the LS7 scares the bejebbers outa me as it is having just come off the 400HP of the LS2.
The SC'd versions are beyond my ability to imagine.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Cobra604
Advanced

Anyone tried to retrofit the Recaros out of the new CTS-V into a C6 yet?
Well, not me. Everyone's body frame will want something different, but I loved the seats in my '08 C6.

Very interesting consideration though!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. Z51 (again)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flareside
100% agree with this. The new steering is a little nicer on the 09, but there's no way I would pass on the Z06 to get that.
Had the same choice: buy a 2009 Z51 car; or, a brand new never titled left over discounted $12,000.
Well for me it was a no-brainer because this was possibly the first and last chance I'd ever have to own the fabulous Z06.

The big differences between these cars for me are the roof and the performance.
Yup.

Steering/brakes/clutch is a toss up, they are very minor improvements. The LS3 to LS7 and wide body upgrades aren't minor...
Had you driven the 2006 models?
There's a definite, and quite positive IMO, improvement in those above 3 catagories in the '08 & '09s (be it Zs or reg C6).

Personally, I'm blown away by the improvement(s).
Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MChicado
I had a very good, and long time vette owner, sell his Z51 for a Z06 once he rode/drove my 07 Z06. He has never been happier!

V/R,

MC
Very well put.

Originally Posted by Cobra604
The only fair comparison that I could give on ride is that the day I got out of the Z51 C6 it had 29K miles on it. I got in the Z06 with no miles and it rode so much better, I was truly suprised.

I am very glad that bought the Z06. I'm glad I bought an '08 with 0%. I love the car and everything it represents... Damn, I'm getting flamed on that statement.
Yes, you are going to get hammered for that statement. But what the hey, you're driving a Z06.
.....Damn I'm going to get flamed for that statement.

FWIW I fully understand the need for regidity in the Z06; hence, the FRC. However Chevrolet began offering a SC'd version vis vi the ZR1 because --I presume-- people were spending their money in the aftermarket to SC their motors, and, Chev wanted a piece of the action. Fair enough. So why not offer the Z06 with removable roof panel w/ extra stiffening to compensate?
I'd go for such a car in a NY minute.

....:
Chevy supercharged the ZR1, not because people were buying aftermarket superchargers, but because they needed to make better than 600hp, (indeed 630hp) in a V8 for the ZR1, to compete with the Viper, and still keep the ZR1 50 states emissions legal. They would have had a helluva time doing that normally aspirated with a V8, and still keeping any street manners for the ZR1. So they built essentially an LS3 and supercharged it.

BTW congrats and enjoy your new Z06. It is one helluva car.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-15-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
jazc4
Instructor

Went from Z51 to Z06. No regrets whatsoever.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vs. Z51 (again)