Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] blown engine Zo6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't you think a better thread title would have been " another bad oil change with improper parts installed causes blown motor"
Old 10-08-2009, 07:34 PM
L82PC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine123
The word "PRIVATE" conversation can be interpreted in MANY different ways. Is a conversation in a PUBLIC auto dealer PRIVATE? Some judges may say NO... some may say YES. Most dealers are recording you!!! Did you consent?

This law is intended to protect INDIVIDUAL privacy while in the security of your HOME/Private Office..... Could go either way.

Do cops disclose they are recording you during a traffic stop? No. Is the recording admissible in court? Yes. Your not in your home.. THEREFORE --- NOT PRIVATE---.

Do stores tell you that your being recorded while shopping? NO. Is their recordings admissible? Yes. --NOT PRIVATE--

Get a good lawyer... it could fly. Except in California.... nothing "RATIONAL" goes on there.
No offense to the "people" of California but the more things I learn of it, the less I like it.

Maybe a nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
L82PC
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob09ZCG
Don't you think a better thread title would have been " another bad oil change with improper parts installed causes blown motor"
If Carmax did do the oil change they probably tried stuffing the oil down the faux oil fill on the valve cover.

OP...If you have the opportunity, check to see if the tabs have been broken on the fake oil fill cap. The way you can tell is if it unscrews as a normal one would (easy). If you have to apply force then the tabs are still in place. It usually takes a set of vice grips to force it off so if you see serrated marks on the cap it would indicate that this may have been attempted (probably successfully)...

Just curious...
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a good lawyer... it could fly. Except in California.... nothing "RATIONAL" goes on there.
But HE IS IN CALIFORNIA.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
blaine123
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
But HE IS IN CALIFORNIA.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by proteam
Well I dont know have many of you have been divorced but after shilling out nearly 200k to five different attorneys I learned an important lesson: Have a digital voice recorder handy for ALL important converstions I have them on recordings lying about the oil change issue and filter CHEERS!!
So are you going to pay out another 20 grand in legal fees to recover the 5 or 10K you lost? Seems like you paid enough in legal fees getting divorced. Why send the lawyers kids to college?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

I doubt an attorney would take the case, just your money. As far as loosing value, I dont think so. As long as it runs nice, makes no noises, it should be fine. And your a little wiser.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

The word "PRIVATE" conversation can be interpreted in MANY different ways. Is a conversation in a PUBLIC auto dealer PRIVATE? Some judges may say NO... some may say YES. Most dealers are recording you!!! Did you consent?

This law is intended to protect INDIVIDUAL privacy while in the security of your HOME/Private Office..... Could go either way.

Do cops disclose they are recording you during a traffic stop? No. Is the recording admissible in court? Yes. Your not in your home.. THEREFORE --- NOT PRIVATE---.

Do stores tell you that your being recorded while shopping? NO. Is their recordings admissible? Yes. --NOT PRIVATE--

If the engine was repaired he has no leg to stand on in any state. Are you judging California's based on personal experience or just hearsay? I have lived here for nearly 30 years. I have lived in the midwest, the northeast and the southeast. At this point in my life I can live just about anywhere and I think California is a great place to live.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
proteam
Cruising

I would rather live in CA or South beach Miami the rest of the South is a big stinkhole I have to live in Dallas Fortworth area for 3 years and it sucked *****
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by achilds
If the engine was repaired he has no leg to stand on in any state. Are you judging California's based on personal experience or just hearsay? I have lived here for nearly 30 years. I have lived in the midwest, the northeast and the southeast. At this point in my life I can live just about anywhere and I think California is a great place to live.
You probably haven't received your license renewal yet.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:25 AM
GregC6
Pro

carmax doesn't make oil filter
maybe carquest is what you wanted to say
Old 10-10-2009, 06:45 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can prove that the car was sold to you with the oil change as a condition of a sale AND oil change was not done, more power to you. you may also need to prove that missed (or incorrectly performed) oil change was the cause of damage.

i cannot think of how you can conclusively prove any of that, but maybe you know some really good lawyers and expert witnesses..

as far as I understand the issues around part replacement and warranty/liability, the brand of a filter is irrelevant as long as the filter conforms to GM specs for the car. if you could establish a precedent of going after someone for not replacing your oil filter with the exact brand that came with a car, dozens, if not hundreds of auto parts companies will be out of business the next day.

by the way, i am not sure what the carmax filter is. if you mean carquest, I used one several times, including a couple of HPDEs (hundreds of redline shifts at max oil pressure and high oil temps). it works no better or worse than any other filter. it's just a filter, not a most complicated or failure-prone part in your car...

good luck either way, I hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You broke 3 pistons but didn't crack a sleeve? So is the block is the original block?

Quick Reply: [Z06] blown engine Zo6