Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stock ZR1 Eclipses Z06 Drag Strip Times

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE385
Thats what I want to see. I'm so sick of this 1/4 talk about how the ZR1 isn't that much faster then a Z06. Lets see a roll on. The street doesn't stop after a 1/4 mile. I'm talking closed course, stock Z06 vs stock ZR1. Even a tuned ZR1 againest a tuned Z06, what ever just apples vs apples. One has more power and aggressive gearing and the other is lighter. I'm not promoting street racing.
Don't forget better suspension, better brakes, and better aerodynamics.

The ZR1 is a better car stock for stock. Period. End of story.

Of course, it also costs quite a bit more. But you get a warranty with all of that performance. Start modding your Z06 and kiss that warranty goodbye.

I'd still rather have the Z06 due to the 427 and the lighter weight...

Last edited by JustinStrife; 10-15-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
L82PC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Don't forget better suspension, better brakes, and better aerodynamics.

The ZR1 is a better car stock for stock. Period. End of story.

Of course, it also costs quite a bit more. But you get a warranty with all of that performance. Start modding your Z06 and kiss that warranty goodbye.

I'd still rather have the Z06 due to the 427 and the lighter weight...
Don't forget that the Z is much more affordable for most of us...

You and everybody on this thread including me know that "if" the ZR1 was "easily" in our radar of affordability we would be lining up to buy one......especially now with some seriously impressive numbers in.

SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
It wouldn't be pretty...
Talk to Carlos "My Hardtop" about this. He did some interesting tests of both cars (stock and non-stock) in some run-on races. The results were quite surprising.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Hoping in my lifetime to one day see that kind of negative DA when I'm at MIR.

Too much overlooked is the core issue of driving skill. What tends to happen at some tracks, MIR, Atco, Englishtown, for example, is development of a group of racers who work together to improve technique. They do rentals together and race days together, routinely mentoring and coaching one another.

It's the same principle at work as why some gyms consistently produce good fighters or certain neighborhood playgrounds produce good basketball players. Competition. Peer coaching. Both go a long way in embedding solid skills.

Just a thought.

Ranger

Ranger,
You are giving away secrets now.
BTW- Congrats to both racerns and you. I'm sure your times will continue to drop.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Bobs 07 ZO6
Intermediate

Too much overlooked is the core issue of driving skill. What tends to happen at some tracks, MIR, Atco, Englishtown, for example, is development of a group of racers who work together to improve technique. They do rentals together and race days together, routinely mentoring and coaching one another.

It's the same principle at work as why some gyms consistently produce good fighters or certain neighborhood playgrounds produce good basketball players. Competition. Peer coaching. Both go a long way in embedding solid skills.

Just a thought.

Ranger

I think it is great when car enthusiast come together and demonstrate great camaraderie and have a good time, but the MAJOR principle working here is physics. Don't get me wrong driving skill is indeed a factor, but there are plenty of Z06 owners who can drive, a lot of them just don't have access to the fastest drag strips in the country.

A good example is the C6Z06 fastest list. Furman and you had virtually identical 60's yet he back doored you by a tenth and a half and almost two mph. Driver mod?? or the fact you were truly racing a sea level and he was closer to the Marianas trench ~(-1100' DA). LS7 VE's being equall, better air = more HP.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobs 07 ZO6
I think it is great when car enthusiast come together and demonstrate great camaraderie and have a good time, but the MAJOR principle working here is physics. Don't get me wrong driving skill is indeed a factor, but there are plenty of Z06 owners who can drive, a lot of them just don't have access to the fastest drag strips in the country.

A good example is the C6Z06 fastest list. Furman and you had virtually identical 60's yet he back doored you by a tenth and a half and almost two mph. Driver mod?? or the fact you were truly racing a sea level and he was closer to the Marianas trench ~(-1100' DA). LS7 VE's being equall, better air = more HP.
Jamie's DA that day was negative 1600. An extremely rare number in MD; not even once per year. He still had to put together essentially a perfect pass in 40 degree weather. That's not an easy task. Rare weather and great driving are classic combinations. But if you go to the track with guys like Jamie, you will find they run fast times most of the time.

I've run in the 10s stock on drag radials at four different tracks. Just one of them MIR. So to me, the main factor is the driver.

There are other near sea-level tracks in the country. Sacramento is one that gets some fabulous weather. There have been threads on this topic.

Good tracks get extra crowded on race days when the weather is most favorable. I've hit the track gate two-hours before they open on a cool fall or spring days and found 100 cars already on line.

Ranger
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 AM
stkjock
Racer

Ranger - just gotta make the trip up to Atco in Nov or Dec!! Guys around me are always setting up rentals that time of year. If you ever want in.........

superior car + superior driver = FAST
Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 AM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Jamie's DA that day was negative 1600. An extremely rare number in MD; not even once per year. He still had to put together essentially a perfect pass in 40 degree weather. That's not an easy task. Rare weather and great driving are classic combinations. But if you go to the track with guys like Jamie, you will find they run fast times most of the time.

I've run in the 10s stock on drag radials at four different tracks. Just one of them MIR. So to me, the main factor is the driver.

There are other near sea-level tracks in the country. Sacramento is one that gets some fabulous weather. There have been threads on this topic.

Good tracks get extra crowded on race days when the weather is most favorable. I've hit the track gate two-hours before they open on a cool fall or spring days and found 100 cars already on line.

Ranger
I have to agree. Even though good weather is a factor, I watched
Ranger jump in the ZR1 and put 2.5mph up over a very competent
driver. Same car, same track and same day. And from I have seen,
the Z06 is more critical of driver error than is the ZR1.
Very impressive.
Wayne
Old 10-17-2009, 11:39 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats on a great set of runs..and tell you what I live in Jacksonville FL but I would be game to drive to your next track rental (if you would have me and the timing was right ie day), just to have the opportunity to get some advice from the experiance you guys have would be worth the trip alone.

Now this would not be my first time racing (having a 2006 GTO that I race regularly) but I
am a beginer with the 6spd (having never piloted a 6 speed down the track before).

Damon
Old 10-17-2009, 02:27 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought.

Ranger

This is why you should never bet against Ranger. He replaces educated guessing and conjecture with testing, data collection and thoughtful analysis. The good old scientific process. The Wright brothers did the same thing to powered flight and that is why they surpassed everyone else.

Ranger
The track here in Seattle is under 200 foot elevation and we get a lot of dense, cool air. Top fuel record is 4.490/333.25. I wonder what you guys could do here?

I am a lowly "go in a circle track rat" and too scared to try to drag my car. Ranger, some day I need a right seat ride so you can school me!

Dean
Old 10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked_Z06
Humm... 3 mph for over 133 extra ponies?

I'm I missing something here? Please explain.
Is there not a situation of diminishing returns with respect to adding hp...that is once a certain level of performance is reached ( Z06 level ) it takes relatively more additional hp inputs to yield speed improvement?

In other words, the hp/speed relationship is not linear.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Bobs 07 ZO6
Intermediate

Ranger
That's why it's an extremely rare timeslip as well - the only bone stock 10 sec. C6Z06 pass.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 PM
crossfire7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to happen, despite the skeptics.

Member Racerns runs a 2009 ZR1 bone stock on stock tires 10.85 129.89.

Same day and track, the drag radial record fell too. 10.73 132.46.
Doesn't surprise me at all.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Is there not a situation of diminishing returns with respect to adding hp...that is once a certain level of performance is reached ( Z06 level ) it takes relatively more additional hp inputs to yield speed improvement?

In other words, the hp/speed relationship is not linear.
Yes - Trap MPH is proportional to the cube-root of the HP/Wt ratio.

You are welcome to play around with this in Excel -- I'm too busy watching college football right now...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 AM
gogetterZ06
Advanced

You might have a different view of if you were to try launching the ZR1 with its 2.29 first gear. And then launched the Z06 with its 2.66. The difference is quite noticeable.

I understand why GM made the choice it did in the design trade-off. But as a consequence of that choice, the ZR1 is not really faster than the Z06 in the first 330' at max acceleration. If you'd like to dispute that fact, please put up some time slips that provide discrete evidence. TIA.

Ranger
you done good guy, it's all about the driver as well, track conitions and outside air etc...
Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 AM
BioRxOkc@aol.com
Pro

Originally Posted by LT5 John
I for one don't care if the ZR1 is faster in the 1/4 mile times...IMHO the Z06 is NA, the ZR1 has a supercharger...Like comparing apples to oranges...Run a supercharged Z06 against a ZR1, then look at the times...
This is such a RICER statement...

Both cars are STOCK - that is apples to apples, one stock and one modified is apples to oranges.

Surely you didn't reread your post or you would have realized how silly you sound.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock ZR1 Eclipses Z06 Drag Strip Times