Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] On-Star letter, they check your car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

I simply pulled the fuse on my 08 and that shut it down. Don't want anything I do being monitored...it's NOTFB what I do with the car I PAID for.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
If you only knew what google has on you... (or maybe you do know )

Since they don't pull GPS info to convict us of speeding (that I know about!), maybe the data they collect is not such a big deal. Hypothetically speaking, maybe it could support your case and prove your innocence for <insert crime here>?

I like having oil change predictions, they tell roughtly what date I need to change my oil by. Pretty cool!
Don't need that from Onstar, as it's on the DIC anyway...next...
Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,204 Likes on 708 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Elevator man
I'm not a big conspiracy man but I do want my privacy.Why would you make something you can't disable.Were does it end.one thing leads to another.You have to take a stand at some point or just be the sheep that are told what to do and go!OK,I feel better.Going to garage to do some work!
do you honestly think OnStar gives a flying crap what you do if you don't call them? Really? Why would your car not start if you disabled it? If you buy a car and never activate it that is the same thing.

Here is some old data from http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/020608.html

On an average month in the third quarter of 2005, OnStar was involved in:

900 automatic airbag notifications
500 stolen vehicle location assists
15,000 emergency calls
44,000 remote door unlocks
340,000 route support calls
25,000 roadside assistance
5,500 Good Samaritan calls
32,000 remote diagnostics
12.6-million hands-free calls
And more.

so yeah....they really have time to monitor paranoid Corvette owners

I suspect the number is much higher now...
Old 03-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Worse than that, now THEY are DC that is monitoring your car

I dont think I'll buy a car w DC on board

What if you just ignore them ?
Correct.. how is that Hopey changey thang working out for all on this thread.. now that the Government and the left are in control.

HUH..? mmm... mmm... mmm.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,194 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by pewter99
Pewter, stop introducing facts into a hysteric-driven (and hysterical) conversation. How dare you, man?!

jas
Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

He he he he,......your engine computer also stores max rpm and other data....did you know that?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

lol...What the heck are you guys using your cars for that it is so absoutely imperative that no one finds out about it, moving kilos of blow or something?

If I make a mistake on the road and cause an accident I want everyone involved to get the medical attention they require asap. In a crash persons involved may be unconscious or disoriented and confused to the point that they are unable to even recognize the fact that they or others are seriously injured. Someone could die if no one finds you in time where onstar can send help immediately if you don't respond. IN THEORY...onstar could, just maybe, help give someone a chance at living to see another day.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Jorday
IN THEORY...onstar could, just maybe, help give someone a chance at living to see another day.
I strongly suspect most people (thankfully) haven't had to experience the very good side of OnStar. I have, and I'm glad they were there. They got Fire, Rescue, and Police to the scene of the accident MUCH quicker than a call to 911 could have. They do this by having direct lines to local groups vs. relying on a 911 switchboard.

Be thankful you folks haven't had to make use of it. But, it's nice to know it's there IF you need it.

jas
Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Craig3Q
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
... Be thankful you folks haven't had to make use of it. But, it's nice to know it's there IF you need it.

jas
I haven't had to use OnStar yet (or the equivalent service in another brand of car that I used to own), but I'm happy to know that it will work even when I don't have cell service.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxic Z
Correct.. how is that Hopey changey thang working out for all on this thread.. now that the Government and the left are in control.

HUH..? mmm... mmm... mmm.
Fantastic as you can see by my Avatar
Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig3Q
I haven't had to use OnStar yet (or the equivalent service in another brand of car that I used to own), but I'm happy to know that it will work even when I don't have cell service.
The car can't phone home if cellular service is not availbable.
GM has not integrated Satellite voice services into the platform.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:13 PM
mr.radon
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the day and age where everyone has cell phones, unless you crash on a deserted highway or fly off the road where no one can see you this is system is just junk.
So 911 gets the call from OnStar 10 seconds sooner. And in many cases the first responders are bystanders any how. I've done first aid for people in 4 accidents so far.

Yeah, people can be tracked by cell phones too so who should anyone care if they can also track my car. I'm not some conspiracy nut. I guess I would not have minded the system nearly as much if OnStar wouldn't have called me unannounced inside my car three times. The first two on the drive back from the NCM, the last time while I was driving home last November. Each time startling me and asking if I had an emergency.

Making the OnStar system standard (non-delete option) is dumb.
Read the privacy statement. If you do not agree there is nothing you can do about it unless you happen to read the instructions off a board like this on how to neuter the system.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:25 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 167 Posts

I agree it should be optional!

Having it as an option would:
1) save money
2) save weight
3) save space
4) make the privacy conscious happy

It came in handy for me to unlock my doors. I left the fob in there and the car locked itself. It was 6 AM in a grocery store parking lot, 30 degrees F and I was sweaty from the gym wearing shorts and a Tshirt. Not good timing. With onstar, it took 5 seconds to unlock from the time I found their phone number.

Also, while on a trip in the syskious mountain range, the engine light came on. Not good timing for that either. I called onstar (near highest point on I5) and they told me what the code was. I knew since it was for the catalyc(sp) converter I would be fine to make it to my destination, Thunderhill and back home (600 MI away) because the code had set before and I came here to investigate it. The probeme is resolved by a pcm reprogram.

So there are benefits, it just depends on your luck I guess.

Last edited by C5 Hardtop; 03-14-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a damn
Old 03-14-2010, 04:13 PM
TTBEAST
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jorday
lol...What the heck are you guys using your cars for that it is so absoutely imperative that no one finds out about it, moving kilos of blow or something?

If I make a mistake on the road and cause an accident I want everyone involved to get the medical attention they require asap. In a crash persons involved may be unconscious or disoriented and confused to the point that they are unable to even recognize the fact that they or others are seriously injured. Someone could die if no one finds you in time where onstar can send help immediately if you don't respond. IN THEORY...onstar could, just maybe, help give someone a chance at living to see another day.

I think on star should be in every car made, it has saved many lives and i highly doubt that they are using this tool to track or spy on us,
If you have nothing to hide i would not worry about it. If you a drug dealer, disconnect it
Old 03-14-2010, 04:46 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
GM has not integrated Satellite voice services into the platform.
If you call OnStar's emergency center, you're using SatVoice.

jas
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
ScottyBud
Instructor

It should be a choice each of us gets to make whether to enable or disable the output of YOUR PRIVATE information. It's that simple.

What bother's me the most are the posts that think it should be "required". In other words, "the law"...
Old 03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
do you honestly think OnStar gives a flying crap what you do if you don't call them? Really? Why would your car not start if you disabled it? If you buy a car and never activate it that is the same thing.

Here is some old data from http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/020608.html

On an average month in the third quarter of 2005, OnStar was involved in:

900 automatic airbag notifications
500 stolen vehicle location assists
15,000 emergency calls
44,000 remote door unlocks
340,000 route support calls
25,000 roadside assistance
5,500 Good Samaritan calls
32,000 remote diagnostics
12.6-million hands-free calls
And more.

I suspect the number is much higher now...
I have no problem with onstar. I actually like it. I have it subscribed in the vehicles that have it. You never know when it could come in handy. I also like the handsfree phone and voice dialing!

Get notified of new replies

To On-Star letter, they check your car!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.radon
In the day and age where everyone has cell phones, unless you crash on a deserted highway or fly off the road where no one can see you this is system is just junk.
So 911 gets the call from OnStar 10 seconds sooner.
Sure, someone driving by might call for help, but that's assuming they give enough of a crap to end the call they are currently on in order to call for help for you. Seems like a gamble to rely on others to make that call. Just because you would do it for them doesn't mean they would do it for you.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
KenH09Z06
Cruising

Among the thing that on star monitors: you vehicle health (checking for codes, tire pressure etc), your average speeds, number of miles driven per month. They sent me a letter just after buying my car detailing how you could sign a release and they would share this info with my insurance company and it may lower my insurance bill. I shredded the letter, based on my experience with insurance co. they will only find reason to raise your rates not lower them! I never activated my onstar, never wanted it, but the dealer did! I'm sure that onstar also reports to GM on the driving habits of the vehicles, so they can try to void warranty work!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
TTBEAST
Instructor

I personally have pulled a person out of a burning car that was flipped on its side on the side of the interstate with 2 of my buddies that were following me. This car must have been on fire for more than 5 min before we got there, he was knocked out, this guy did not know what even happened to him, We had to flip the car back on its wheels to get him out, one of the most scaryest incidents i have been involved in. Not one person stopped, everyone was slowing down to look but no one would stop, i could not belive this ... I truley believe that god had a plan for my freinds and i that night because we saved a life. My point is that people in general these days dont give a ****.....i would rather rely on Onstar than someone stopping to call 911 for me....

Quick Reply: [Z06] On-Star letter, they check your car!