Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch Pedal Stuck to Floor!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
9sec383
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Stuck to Floor!!

Hey guys,
I was doin some spirited driving and on my 3rd to 4th shift the pedal stuck to the floor and rendered the clutch useless (at only 14,000 miles)...I synchonized my down shifts and upshifts with the rpms to shift clutchless and get the car home safely...pain in the ****! My question is "is there a way to make it work again without taking it to the dealer because i plan on getting a new LS9 clutch conversion done on it soon and dont wanna go through the trouble of dealers screwin up my car.....Ive done the ranger method of changin fluid but the pedal is still not building pressure...Has anyone overcome this problem at home without taking the car apart?? are there any tricks you can do to make it work?? Any help is appreciated...BTW My car is in Memphis and not sure if I trust any dealers in the area...if you know of any please post up! Thanks Guys
David
Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

I have not had this problem but many others have and from what I understand sometimes you can pull the pedal up by hand. Worth a try
Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,458 Likes on 833 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Don't go here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ship-woes.html

You might try another post like "Help needed in Memphis".
Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 PM
9sec383
Racer

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Don't go here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ship-woes.html

You might try another post like "Help needed in Memphis".
Damn..What a nightmare! That sux for him....Thanks for the input!
David
Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
9sec383
Racer

Originally Posted by slolane
I have not had this problem but many others have and from what I understand sometimes you can pull the pedal up by hand. Worth a try
Yea I tried that while i changed the fluid....it still doesnt build pressure...but it does transfer the dirty fluid to the reservoir....well it looks like i might have to trailer it back to Texas....
Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 PM
IANIL8
Racer

Man I feel ya... I have changed the fluid several times through the month... Works for a few days then BAM...Pedal will suck to the floor...I gave up...Ordered a BC2 Carbon Clutch... It's over kill but I am done with clutch problems...Good luck
Old 10-13-2010, 10:49 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 120 Posts

i have only experienced it on 1-2 shift...usually at the start line...both my c6z's have done it...can usually get the pedal off the floor with my foot and then it works properly...i have found it to be more of an operator error problem than anything else....have done about 15 hard starts the past couple weeks on tracks....with street and race rubber..had it stay down once and i am sure it was me slipping clutch to much..

i started a thread in zr1 section to see if anyone there has experienced it so far 1 has...[ been thinking of zr1 clutch]...these sure do like quick pedal release...no high revs and slipping clutch to control wheel spin...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
9sec383
Racer

Originally Posted by IANIL8
Man I feel ya... I have changed the fluid several times through the month... Works for a few days then BAM...Pedal will suck to the floor...I gave up...Ordered a BC2 Carbon Clutch... It's over kill but I am done with clutch problems...Good luck
is that better than the LS9 clutch from katech?? If so whats the price and where did you order it?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 06.

I tried everything including a new OEM clutch and a 2 new slaves.
I couldn't drive hard thru 3ed gear without the clutch peddle going to the floor. I tried everything. I had a similar problem with the C5. Now some will say I don't know how to drive, but just doing traffic at 65 MPH and trying to pass a truck, my peddle stuck to the floor with dot 7 fluid.

I didn't want to sell my Z, as I really love the car.

I finely changed changed clutches. Expensive but worth it.

I have tested it in HOT LAPS the drags and no more problems, same as my C5

I think there is a small group of Zs with this problem, and maybe you are one.

Good Luck and I feel your pain.
Oregon
Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 PM
IANIL8
Racer

Depends on what your looking for... If your looking for stock pedal feel the LS9 is the way to go...They are holding 700 plus rear wheel from reports on this forum I don't know for how long...I went with the BC2 Carbon for weight loss and it's been what seems to be the top clutch everyone runs from my research...The factory clutch and the LS9 weigh 54 pounds or so and the carbon BC2 is in the low to mind 30's... I believe the carbon clutch will hold up longer then the organic LS9 clutch... Both are great choices....Anthony @ LG motorsports and or Adam @ RSI will give ya the skinny...

Last edited by IANIL8; 10-13-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 AM
george454
Cruising

Default my new zo6 pedal went to floor and stayed there

I bought my 2010 zo6 a month ago and its been at the dealer the whole time. first there was a real bad noise when you step on it hard ,not to the floor but hard bad noise up front.so i left it with them. so first they breaks and broke a torque head in the front break caliber, then when i went there they test drove the car and drove it through wet road paint plus broke the exhaust on driver side. So i was going out of town and could leave the car so i talked to sales man I bought the car from a nice guy. He said we will get it fixed and we will zylon the car for half price for you waiting. Now i come home and go to get my car and nothing is done and there waiting for exhaust and paint is still there plus no zylon on the car.With this i was pissed. So I get the sales men and told him how up set i was and that i had wanted to go on a weekend trip with my wife and was up set that the car was still there and not done.. He then promises me he will get everything done when the exhaust parts come in. And to take the car use it for the weekend and when the parts come in he will call and get everthing done .
now we take the car home . we pack some things and go away for the weekend well ( 73) miles from home the clutch gos to the floor and dont come up . So i sit on the side of the road checking fluid ,it was just about empty and black as tar, while im there trying to figure out what to do i decide to check oil because they did an oil change , well guess what was a quart low. at this point im about to blow up. and a good guy stops to check on us he then gives me a ride to a part store i buy dot 4/and syn/oil, and a vac to pull the burned fluid out or what there is of it. I get to car change fluid still no clutch, i get the car in gear and get going shiftting with rpms we went slow and made the trip to the dealer were i left the car.
Now this is a C.P.O. car its been a head ache we have not been able to put a 100 miles with out it haven a problem.
I traded in a 2011 6.7 f250 that i paid $45,000.00 down on i only owed 12grand to pay it off we gave them my truck that they gave me what i had in it plus i put another 5000 down in cash so this car is almost paid off. what are my legal rights . Its clear this one owner car was traded in for a reasone and at this point i think i would be better with another car. What can i do. It has been almost a month now and the car has been at the dealer all but 4 days. Thanks George
Old 04-08-2013, 12:39 AM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Centerforce DYAD (Twin disc) feels exactly like a stock clutch and its rated to over 1000hp. It doesn't have an on of switch and its easy to street drive, or race with. It's not noisy by comparison to other twins I've had and it works great.. It's 12lbs lighter than factory too.
Best clutch for $1500... IMO.
If money wasn't an object, Tilton, carbon triple gets my vote.

Last edited by jnv255; 04-08-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by george454
I bought my 2010 zo6 a month ago and its been at the dealer the whole time. first there was a real bad noise when you step on it hard ,not to the floor but hard bad noise up front.so i left it with them. so first they breaks and broke a torque head in the front break caliber, then when i went there they test drove the car and drove it through wet road paint plus broke the exhaust on driver side. So i was going out of town and could leave the car so i talked to sales man I bought the car from a nice guy. He said we will get it fixed and we will zylon the car for half price for you waiting. Now i come home and go to get my car and nothing is done and there waiting for exhaust and paint is still there plus no zylon on the car.With this i was pissed. So I get the sales men and told him how up set i was and that i had wanted to go on a weekend trip with my wife and was up set that the car was still there and not done.. He then promises me he will get everything done when the exhaust parts come in. And to take the car use it for the weekend and when the parts come in he will call and get everthing done .
now we take the car home . we pack some things and go away for the weekend well ( 73) miles from home the clutch gos to the floor and dont come up . So i sit on the side of the road checking fluid ,it was just about empty and black as tar, while im there trying to figure out what to do i decide to check oil because they did an oil change , well guess what was a quart low. at this point im about to blow up. and a good guy stops to check on us he then gives me a ride to a part store i buy dot 4/and syn/oil, and a vac to pull the burned fluid out or what there is of it. I get to car change fluid still no clutch, i get the car in gear and get going shiftting with rpms we went slow and made the trip to the dealer were i left the car.
Now this is a C.P.O. car its been a head ache we have not been able to put a 100 miles with out it haven a problem.
I traded in a 2011 6.7 f250 that i paid $45,000.00 down on i only owed 12grand to pay it off we gave them my truck that they gave me what i had in it plus i put another 5000 down in cash so this car is almost paid off. what are my legal rights . Its clear this one owner car was traded in for a reasone and at this point i think i would be better with another car. What can i do. It has been almost a month now and the car has been at the dealer all but 4 days. Thanks George
George, for starters, I'd start a new thread since this one is 3 years old.

Good luck with your car!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I bought a new 2010 and my clutch pedal went to floor at 3k miles (while doing the Ranger clutch fluid change....pumping the pedal).

It had to be flatbed to dealer where they changed out the the actuator (in GM lingo....slave to rest) AND the master cylinder was changed.

The slave was found to have a leak and the pedal was mushy after the change so the m.c. was changed as well. Was back to normal after that.

Add: dam, jus noticed the dead has arisen

Last edited by tim414; 04-08-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sec383
Hey guys,
I was doin some spirited driving and on my 3rd to 4th shift the pedal stuck to the floor and rendered the clutch useless (at only 14,000 miles)...I synchonized my down shifts and upshifts with the rpms to shift clutchless and get the car home safely...pain in the ****! My question is "is there a way to make it work again without taking it to the dealer because i plan on getting a new LS9 clutch conversion done on it soon and dont wanna go through the trouble of dealers screwin up my car.....Ive done the ranger method of changin fluid but the pedal is still not building pressure...Has anyone overcome this problem at home without taking the car apart?? are there any tricks you can do to make it work?? Any help is appreciated...BTW My car is in Memphis and not sure if I trust any dealers in the area...if you know of any please post up! Thanks Guys
David
Clutch master cylinder fail had it happen on my 09 z06. That's the one that holds the fluid you are changing out.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
george454
Cruising

Default pedal on the floor

Sorry about the thred just going on like that.
Its was 1:30 am and i just got home from being stuck on the road with a car i just bought and i never looked at how old the thred was.
Im waiting to hear from the dealer as i post this.Im very strongly thinking i need a lawyer for this car and these problems.
Anyone that knows how the law works please feel free to give your opinion it would be appreciated. George
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by george454
Sorry about the thred just going on like that.
Its was 1:30 am and i just got home from being stuck on the road with a car i just bought and i never looked at how old the thred was.
Im waiting to hear from the dealer as i post this.Im very strongly thinking i need a lawyer for this car and these problems.
Anyone that knows how the law works please feel free to give your opinion it would be appreciated. George
It sounds like part of the issue is what the dealer did to it. They can fix the clutch.....

But, question? Whose dime is fixing the clutch?

I always changed my clutch fluid when the oil was changed. I ceased doing the clutch pumping however. You'll notice w/these cars the clutch fluid get dirty and mirky easily. Clutch dust travels back up the hydraulic line causing it. Some will say it does not cause any issue.

But, what I can say is that I "used" to do the Ranger clutch fluid changes which involved alot of clutch pumping which caused mine to show up early on.....I'll never know.

But, what is sure, is that I bought the new 2010 and this also happened to me at around 3k miles.

The question which needs answered is whose dime it's gonna be. And which part it is. If it's the slave that's a lot of labor time. I would have both done so all the hydraulic portion is replaced while it's down.

Add: Sorry for your headache. These are really neat/awesome cars though.

Last edited by tim414; 04-08-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Stuck to Floor!!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IANIL8
.I gave up...Ordered a BC2 Carbon Clutch... It's over kill but I am done with clutch problems...Good luck
.... I went with an Exedy GT04XD but either way a new BETTER clutch eliminated all clutch problems for me.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Slave went out. Just happened to me and it sucks.

The ranger method really only keeps the fluid in the reservoir clean - that's it!

I changed out the fluid in the reservoir about once a week since I got the car.

Pulled off the old slave and all the fluid was dark like burnt coffee and thicker than new.
I was a little surprised seeing what an effort I made to keep the reservoir fresh.

IMO the only way to go is using a speed bleeder and flushing out all the fluid for new periodically.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

I have a C5 Z06. Our club (BRCC) ran at MSR Cresson last weekend. I changed my fluid (Motul RBF600) just before the event. I ran the first session using 3rd gear only. At the checker, I shifted to 4th gear for the cooldown, and my clutch stuck to the floor. After I pulled it up (and the car cooled down) I had no more problems with it. However, during the next session I used both 3rd and 4th gear. Although I expected clutch pedal problems, I experienced none. My clutch worked perfectly during and after the entire day. My friend with a C5 Z06 also changed his fluid, used both 3rd and 4th gear, but only made about 4 laps before his clutch stuck to the floor. I know WHY this happens, I just don't understand why the problem is not consistent?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch Pedal Stuck to Floor!!