Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] *****Gear shift knob removal on 2008*****

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
batmanforever
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default *****Gear shift **** removal on 2008*****

How do I remove my gear shift **** on my 2008?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

twist plastic ring, slide down to expose screw. use phillips screwdriver. done.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 AM
96LT1Conn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRx
twist plastic ring, slide down to expose screw. use phillips screwdriver. done.
Wow, I only wish my 08Z was that easy to remove. A search through the forum will find several people, myself included, who had a very difficult time removing the screw. Depending upon when your car was built, you may have a Phillips head screw or a Torx T20 screw (which I had, and an allen wrench might work in the torx screw head) that holds the **** in place. Be forewarned that there may be some locktite on that screw making it almost impossible to remove without applying a good deal of heat first. I just ran into this problem on my 08Z when installing a new shiftboot. If the screw does not loosen right away, don't force it and round out the screw hole. Take a hair dryer and apply some heat, get it good and hot and then go to work on the screw. I found by rotating the screw in both a clockwise and a counterclockwise direction, I was able to break the loctite free and then was able to remove the screw. Then the rest of your install should be easy. Again, don't force it and round out the screw hole (like I did), then you will be relegated to using a visegrips, and even with heat, I was barely able to get the screw out. Luckily, short of needing to replace the screw, I caused no damage and the boot looks great. If I hadn't found out about the presence of locktite, on this forum, I would have given up and left the original boot in place.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

actually i replaced my 07 shift **** (torx screw) and boot with an 08 **** (phillips screw) and boot. use the right tools new screw came with locktite already on it, forget which color. just like exhaust bolts, warm it up a little and it will break free.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 96LT1Conn
Wow, I only wish my 08Z was that easy to remove. A search through the forum will find several people, myself included, who had a very difficult time removing the screw. Depending upon when your car was built, you may have a Phillips head screw or a Torx T20 screw (which I had, and an allen wrench might work in the torx screw head) that holds the **** in place. Be forewarned that there may be some locktite on that screw making it almost impossible to remove without applying a good deal of heat first. I just ran into this problem on my 08Z when installing a new shiftboot. If the screw does not loosen right away, don't force it and round out the screw hole. Take a hair dryer and apply some heat, get it good and hot and then go to work on the screw. I found by rotating the screw in both a clockwise and a counterclockwise direction, I was able to break the loctite free and then was able to remove the screw. Then the rest of your install should be easy. Again, don't force it and round out the screw hole (like I did), then you will be relegated to using a visegrips, and even with heat, I was barely able to get the screw out. Luckily, short of needing to replace the screw, I caused no damage and the boot looks great. If I hadn't found out about the presence of locktite, on this forum, I would have given up and left the original boot in place.

I can't seem to SEE the screw AT ALL.... I, too, am replacing the shift boot to a leather boot from Mid-America.

Here's my problem....
I pushed DOWN the existing boot on the shifter to expose the shifter itself... I was following the instructions and got my #20 Torx driver...BUT COULD NEVER FIND THE SCREW itself...

All I see is a chrome type bezel around the shifter (where the pleather boot wrapped around). I WAS able to lift up / pop out the plastic retaining ring that "SEATS" the bottom of the boot around the console... BUT NO LUCK with finding ANY SCREW !! I was wondering if it just doesn't twist off (like cars of yesteryear).... but, again the directions for new boot speaks of #20 torx bit.

HELP PLEASE....
thanks - Robert
Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the chrome bezel is attached to the fake leather shift boot. Twist the bezel and it will drop exposing the screw hole. I replaced my shifter with a MGW and new leather shift boot from Redline. Trying to remember exactly how I did it, but I'm old.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
I believe the chrome bezel is attached to the fake leather shift boot. Twist the bezel and it will drop exposing the screw hole. I replaced my shifter with a MGW and new leather shift boot from Redline. Trying to remember exactly how I did it, but I'm old.
OOOHHHHH ok... I'll try that. So, the set screw is beneath (hidden) under the chrome type bezel? OK... I DID notice that the bottom of that bezel (the thing that has the 'ridge' for the top of the boot to fit in), has two flat sides on it. Maybe I could twist that with an adjustable wrench to allow it to drop... Otherwise, it's on there pretty tight.

What do you think? (and thanks for the quick reply, also)

- Robert
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you need to twist the bezel and it will drop. Maybe 1/3 turn or so. Either clockwise or counter clock wise. Dont remember. Just looked at the old boot and the bezel is a little over 1/2 inch high. It has 2 opposing posts inside which ride in a spiral groove on the shifter ****. It hides the screw that you're looking for.
Good luck.

Last edited by RUBYREDVET; 02-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
Yes you need to twist the bezel and it will drop. Maybe 1/3 turn or so. Either clockwise or counter clock wise. Dont remember. Just looked at the old boot and the bezel is a little over 1/2 inch high. It has 2 opposing posts inside which ride in a spiral groove on the shifter ****. It hides the screw that you're looking for.
Good luck.
THANKS VERY MUCH !!! The directions for this new boot does not say anything like that ! I appreciate it ! I will post a (hopefully) successful reply soon.

- Robert
(you GOT to love these forums... people helping out !!! THANKS)
Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a T-25 just below the shift **** on the drivers side. Up down the shift boot and you'll see it. I just did a new shifter install today and that's how it's done.

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
It's a T-25 just below the shift **** on the drivers side. Up down the shift boot and you'll see it. I just did a new shifter install today and that's how it's done.

Tom
Thanks Tom... what did you mean saying "UP DOWN" the shift boot?
Hey do you concur with the other posts here about the bezel dropping down (with twisting) to THEN be able to see the set screw?

Thanks for the help...
- Robert
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Oil Rig Pilot
Thanks Tom... what did you mean saying "UP DOWN" the shift boot?
Hey do you concur with the other posts here about the bezel dropping down (with twisting) to THEN be able to see the set screw?

Thanks for the help...
- Robert
My bad I have a DSV boot and it doesn't have the trim ring. I do believe you have to twist it then the boot can be pulled down to expose the T-25 screw.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

Thats ok...I am learning all of this anyway. (My first vette)...so nice meeting you...and thanks for your input.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Oil Rig Pilot
Thats ok...I am learning all of this anyway. (My first vette)...so nice meeting you...and thanks for your input.
Check this out
http://www.101corvetteprojects.com/2...ts-shift-****/

They say T-20 but I used a T-25.

Tom
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

WOW....OK !!! THANKS SO MUCH ! that thread helps...(with pics too) hahah... Thank you both for your effort and input ! I shall complete this project with the input shared with me here...

Thanks guys !
Old 02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Oil Rig Pilot
Intermediate

Ok guys... project complete... GREAT INFO !!! chrome ring twisted down...exposed screw... easy boot replacement. THANKS !
Old 04-09-2011, 02:19 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

twist the bezel exposint the torx head screw got it. Thanks everyone I was in the middle of an MGW install and was stumped
Old 07-29-2015, 11:37 AM
jsc62006
Advanced

Default Shift **** and boot

Originally Posted by MarkRx
actually i replaced my 07 shift **** (torx screw) and boot with an 08 **** (phillips screw) and boot. use the right tools new screw came with locktite already on it, forget which color. just like exhaust bolts, warm it up a little and it will break free.
Hi how did you actually screw on,the 2008 shift **** on your 2007? i tried that too and the holes don't line up. Did you also replace the shifter itself??

Thanks

Last edited by jsc62006; 07-31-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To *****Gear shift knob removal on 2008*****

Quick Reply: [Z06] *****Gear shift knob removal on 2008*****