Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2011 Z06 Carbon Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
R & T are wrong on the weights.
Now there's a comment that makes sense...I was having a hard time understanding how when equally equipped (including blower) a Z06 would end up heavier than a ZR1. Of course if I'd given reasonable consideration to where the weight figures came from I'd have ended up being less confused

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jschindler
Once again, there is not enough information to determine the validity of R&T's statement. They could be comparing a fully loaded 3LZ Z06 with a stripped ZR1. I think a lot of people are over reacting to the R&T statement.
I am suprised less people have weighed their vehicles. I always took my stuff to the LA DOT scales and had them weight it on a day/at a time they weren't busy. They never declined to, and it gives you F/R weights if you ask them to let you pull half onto each scale. They are very accurate (obviously, as fines are based on this device) and when I was 185#, that was the exact difference in the weight of the vehicle with me in/out of it.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
I am suprised less people have weighed their vehicles. I always took my stuff to the LA DOT scales and had them weight it on a day/at a time they weren't busy. They never declined to, and it gives you F/R weights if you ask them to let you pull half onto each scale. They are very accurate (obviously, as fines are based on this device) and when I was 185#, that was the exact difference in the weight of the vehicle with me in/out of it.
I don't even weight myself very often. My theory is that if I'm happy with what I see in the mirror, what's the difference what number comes up on the scale. Same with cars.

I take my Z06 out on the backroads on Sunday mornings. I frequently take it up to about 4500 rpm in first or second gear - hold it there for a second then hammer the gas. When my vision returns to normal I'm not looking to see how much the car weighs
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
soulcoaxing
Acct suspended by request 21 Sept 2011

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I take my Z06 out on the backroads on Sunday mornings. I frequently take it up to about 4500 rpm in first or second gear - hold it there for a second then hammer the gas. When my vision returns to normal I'm not looking to see how much the car weighs
Equally hysterical and well stated.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at it this way, you can almost buy a Z06/Z07 AND a Camaro SS for the price of a ZR1.
I bought my '10 3ZR ZR1 for $104k. I guess you are referring to the 1 LZ Z06/Z07 and a stripper SS? I am not sure of their pricing so just asking.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
I bought my '10 3ZR ZR1 for $104k. I guess you are referring to the 1 LZ Z06/Z07 and a stripper SS? I am not sure of their pricing so just asking.
I'm comparing list prices to list prices. It gets a little complicated to try to figure out how it adds up with the deals that can be had on all of the combination's of all three cars. But the point stands that the difference in price between comparable Z06 and ZR1's is very substantial. In current 2011 list prices, your ZR1 would list for about $123K and a Z06/Z07 with all the good stuff is about $95k, give or take a little.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Great idea except, if I wasn't interested in one car that was slower than the ZR1, why would I want two

Knowing how easy it is to get the LS9 up 112hp (eg, $7,500 at Katech), means the LS7 has to imporve by 245 to catch up...the only way that is gunna happen is with FI, which is gunna make the Z06 heavier than the ZR1, go figure.

I guess I should have just said I'm not impressed with the weight of this new Z06.

Cheers, Paul.
this is my S/C Z06 vs the ZR1;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...iends-zr1.html

Last edited by webcarconnection; 12-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

I weigh myself twice a day, first thing in the morning, and then again whenever I finish training, which I do every day (tells me how much I need to rehydrate). What you see in the mirror can change ever so slightly every day and you'll never even notice...want to know the truth, ask someone who's brutally honest and hasn't seen you in a while, you might not like what they say

If it were as easy to weigh my car I'd do it more regularly.

If I take my car to 4500, hold it there and then stand on it, even in 3rd gear it often blows the tires away, for sure in 1st and 2nd it will. When I put a passenger in the car it will virtually always hook in 3rd and sometimes even in 2nd. Coincidently the amount of weight I've knocked off my car amounts to about the same as a passenger.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by QuickSilver-PR
My comparison wasn't to your Z06 but was to the Z06 R&T said weighed only 20 lbs (without a S/C) less than a ZR1...apparently R&T doesn't know what a Z06 actually weighs

Cheers, Paul.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol I guess not
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 216 Likes on 93 Posts

Given the weight of a blower it's shocking that the ZR1 is only 20 lbs heavier, to get 133hp...can't imagine why anyone would want the Z06

Cheers, Paul.
Some might not want the ZR1's hood and roof which seem to have been designed with a Hot Wheels car theme. Some might not want a furnace mounted on top of a mouse motor for both heat and center of gravity reasons. Some might not want a $115k + price tag. Some might not want....
Point is, we all have reasons for our preferences and GM offers us some nice choices.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I doubt it gets anything much for 2012. So far all that is sure is there is 1 new color, and no colors were deleted.

The C5/Z for 2004 got a carbon-fiber hood and some stickers.

The 1996 'vette got the LT4, I think. However, it had been around for a while before then. There isn't anything that GM is going to stuff in the C6/Z I don't think.

We might get MRC as an option for the Z06 like we do for the GS and base C6, that would be cool, but not earth-shattering.
The exhaust has already been updated for 2011, as was the transmission.

Might get a new interior color/color combo options or something.

I really think the Z06 has reached the pinnacle of what can be done with it with OEM reliability at this point. Not many more options can find their way into the car for "economical" (judging by the fact that GM has just been taking their ZR1 and puttings its nice-parts on the Z06, and the Z06 to the GS, etc. it seems that "economical" is the name of the game with the C6 platform).

No, I just don't really see anything special coming. Maybe a Recaro seat option if GM really wants to step up to the plate, but thats about the biggest thing I think they could/would do.
F55 is an option on the Z06. From the 2011 order sheet.....

"F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control for ultimate driver control and
comfort through the use of driver-selected Tour or Sport modes
1 - Included and only available with (Z07) Z06 Ultimate
Performance Package."

It's not available as a stand alone option but it is an option.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weights

My '08 3LZ Z06 weighed in at 3172 lbs with 4 gallons of fuel and no "owner junk" in the car. The scales had been recently calibrated. My '10 3ZR ZR1 weighs somewhere between 3325 and 3333 lbs for a real world difference between those two cars of approximately 161 lbs (worse case).

The '11 3LZ Z06 with Z07 options would weigh more than my '08 3LZ for the following reasons:

1. Larger ZR1 wheels and tires
2. MRC shock system is heavier than standard tube shocks
3. Larger oil capacity versus my '08.

The carbon fiber bits certainly offset some but not all of this weight. For example, the carbon fiber roof cover and bow is 6.6 lbs lighter than stock. The carbon fiber hood feels about 14-15 lbs lighter than the hood on my wife's standard coupe. The carbon ceramic brakes also reduce weight a bit, but not that much, because as you know, they and their calipers are huge.

So logically, the '11 3LZ Z06 with Z07 options (similar to the one tested in the Road & Track article) weighs somewhat more than my '08 3LZ Z06. I am guessing that the '11 3LZ Z06 with Z07 weighs about 3225 lbs, which is about 118 lbs more than my ZR1. It is certainly more than 20 lbs lighter than my ZR1 but also nowhere close to 200 lbs lighter. This would track closely with the only article I have that references the total weight of the blower system as approximately 100 lbs.

Weight distribution for the Z06: 50 - 50, for the ZR1 52 - 48.

At 10:30 tonight, the Speed channel is supposed to have a show featuring various C6 models, including testing them on a track. We may get some more information there.

Cheers...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

I weigh myself twice a day, first thing in the morning, and then again whenever I finish training, which I do every day (tells me how much I need to rehydrate). What you see in the mirror can change ever so slightly every day and you'll never even notice...want to know the truth, ask someone who's brutally honest and hasn't seen you in a while, you might not like what they say

If it were as easy to weigh my car I'd do it more regularly.

If I take my car to 4500, hold it there and then stand on it, even in 3rd gear it often blows the tires away, for sure in 1st and 2nd it will. When I put a passenger in the car it will virtually always hook in 3rd and sometimes even in 2nd. Coincidently the amount of weight I've knocked off my car amounts to about the same as a passenger.

Cheers, Paul.
What, you think I can't tell when my clothes no longer fit me? If it works for you, more power to you.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
F55 is an option on the Z06. From the 2011 order sheet.....

"F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control for ultimate driver control and
comfort through the use of driver-selected Tour or Sport modes
1 - Included and only available with (Z07) Z06 Ultimate
Performance Package."

It's not available as a stand alone option but it is an option.
Exactly, with the base C6 and the GS, It's about an $1800 option. With the Z06, it's about an $8K option. I.e. has traveled swiftly from the realm of "Sure, I'll check that box" to "Screw that."
Old 12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

What, you think I can't tell when my clothes no longer fit me? If it works for you, more power to you.
Eh, I can see about a 1-2% change in my composition in the mirror, but to truly get down to things, I get hydrostatically weighed when I am really worried about things. Composition > weight, any day, regarding where you are at physically.

As to the clothing, mirror helps you? I go by feel.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

....As to the clothing, mirror helps you? I go by feel.
Actually I go by feel sometimes as well. When my wife "feels" like I've put on too much weight, I eat better for a couple of weeks

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Z06 Carbon Road Test

Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of folks including R&T comparing this car to the ZR1 especially because of how expensive it is after all the options.

With that in mind, purley from a track perspective, I wonder how a base 1lZ...but with coil-overs, T1 sways, and the same Michelin tires would do minus the carbon brakes.

Theoretically, you could buy a base, upgrade the suspension, OEM Mich tires, but aftermarket brakes and probably be on par or ahead of the carbon in terms of lap times.

But you would definately have a harsher riding car, but it would probably save $20k
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Lots of folks including R&T comparing this car to the ZR1 especially because of how expensive it is after all the options.

With that in mind, purley from a track perspective, I wonder how a base 1lZ...but with coil-overs, T1 sways, and the same Michelin tires would do minus the carbon brakes.

Theoretically, you could buy a base, upgrade the suspension, OEM Mich tires, but aftermarket brakes and probably be on par or ahead of the carbon in terms of lap times.

But you would definately have a harsher riding car, but it would probably save $20k
A fair statement.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 477 Posts

Because you can get a 1LZ Z06 with the Carbon/Z07 option package for around 75K+TTL and you can't get a stripped-down ZR1 for anywhere near that. It appears that the Z07 was reviewed, and not the Z06 "Carbon" edition.
What I want is a base z06 with the supercharged 638hp engine. - leave off the carbon fiber bits, the busy looking wheels and the see through hood. - Prefrably a 1lz version. this could be called the ZR6.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2011 Z06 Carbon Road Test