Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Le Mans, Paddle Shifting ZR1, N-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:21 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Thanks. So a clutch pedal is used to start and stop the car, but not for shifting?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Same tranny, just controlled differently.

The paddle shift system is new technology for us, and our engineers have worked very hard on the communication system that links the new engine management system and the shift system. We've also adopted a new power control system that automatically performs many of the functions that used to be done manually, such as turning on the reserve fuel pump and switching the batteries during pit stops.

"The paddle shift is a big plus, particularly in the braking zones," said Gavin. "You can get hard on the brakes, then downshift really quickly. Going up through the gears, the shifts are smooth and solid. In terms of consistency and reliability, the system is a really good step forward."
Originally Posted by DarkKnightZ
About an hour before Gavin was interviewed and said the rear end was 'nervous, but we are managing'. I think the nervous rear end coupled by the quick off there in the Porsche curves combined did it. Jan lost a lot of grip going over that curbing. They had driven a heck of a race with that #74 and shown the way around for almost all of the race, was gutted watching it live early this morning.

I think they did some excellent testing yesterday and today...
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Tonycan
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Hopefully, this technology will manifest itself into production models as a dual-clutch system and skip over the sequential gear box. DC a lot faster. I've driven both, and you think the SGB is fast until you use the dual-clutch system. Pretty awesome and one less thing to think about on the track.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 134 Likes on 70 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...rd-others.html

some would do good to read this.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy
Does that mean no attacks on personal attacks? That's the point I was trying to make, albeit sarcastically.

Last edited by JDRacing; 06-13-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Sure!

Originally Posted by Racer
Here is a picture of the paddleshift I just took from my TV.

Your post got extremely lame when you had to bring up the Enzo remark , technology almost ten years old, what the ZR1 did was impressive enough and it didn't need this ridiculous comment to give it validation......
The Mclaren F1 did a 7:11 at the Ring 20 years ago with a STICK SHIFT!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeSSS
The fastest road legal production Ferrari times at the Ring are (in order of speed) Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 458 Italia (twice), Ferrari 430 Scuderia, and Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. The 599XX isn't street legal. The 599 GTO has never been at the Ring. Maybe I shouldn't mention Ferrari at all.
Trust me when I tell you this is a rough crowd. It really does not matter what you say to find someone or a few of their friends criticizing your post. I own and enjoy Ferrari's and see nothing wrong with your projections and reflections. The fact is the ZR1 which just did a 7.19 with Michelen's at the ring, when equipped with a dual clutch paddle or automatic, will truly be one of if not the fastest cars around the ring. I still don't want a ZR1 for the street, but for those who like to brag or track their cars, things will get even better. As for me, the ZR1 is not a fun car, just fast. Incidentally, you can see by the crashes, including the Corvette, how, even the best drivers get in over their head. Bests own
Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by RBK
Trust me when I tell you this is a rough crowd. It really does not matter what you say to find someone or a few of their friends criticizing your post. I own and enjoy Ferrari's and see nothing wrong with your projections and reflections. The fact is the ZR1 which just did a 7.19 with Michelen's at the ring, when equipped with a dual clutch paddle or automatic, will truly be one of if not the fastest cars around the ring. I still don't want a ZR1 for the street, but for those who like to brag or track their cars, things will get even better. As for me, the ZR1 is not a fun car, just fast. Incidentally, you can see by the crashes, including the Corvette, how, even the best drivers get in over their head. Bests own
Well, if you think bragging about beating the "million dollar" Enzo (Georges stated price is about $350,00 high) that was built with technology that was about ten years ago and tires that are not in the same league as todays tires (remember how many seconds this ZR1 just knocked off it's old time with the new tires), then you are as bias or uneducated as George is.
As for the newer Ferraris being compared, I think only Notch and Guibo are arguing those points.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RBK
"Not fun"....you're kidding , right?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05dsom
"Not fun"....you're kidding , right?
I agree

If not then go get a look-alike GS and try having as much fun minus the missing 200 HP the stock ZR1 has

Same goes for the much vaunted Porsche cars with much less power, (and I happen to like Porsches) however mega power and manual transmissions translated into everyday language spells FUN !

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default But!

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I
Same goes for the much vaunted Porsche cars with much less power, (and I happen to like Porsches) however mega power and manual transmissions translated into everyday language spells FUN !
I think the Porsche turbo S being able to instantly lay down 450rwhp to 42mph on street tires is a kind of fun the ZR1 could use!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-15-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Street gear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wondering if we will ever see a dual clutch paddle shifter. To me that would be the best power adder for both the Z06 and ZR1 without really adding more power. 1/4 times for the ZR1 would drop to 10's consistently and for the Z06 low 11's all without trying...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,289 Likes on 941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Le Mans, Paddle Shifting ZR1, N-Ring