Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Scratch in clear coat on carbon fiber roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Scratch in clear coat on carbon fiber roof

Can a small scratch in the clear coat on the carbon fiber roof be buffed out? It is very fine, but I am scared to doing anything that could hurt the underlying carbon fiber. But it is about five inches long.

I can live with it if necessary.

Thoughts?

Scott
Old 09-10-2011, 08:31 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what to tell you. If it was me, I would avoid buffing it myself in fear of making it worse. The clear coat GM uses is very expensive. Maybe someone on the Forum can help you, or take it to the Dealer and have them look it.

TRR
Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
Can a small scratch in the clear coat on the carbon fiber roof be buffed out? It is very fine, but I am scared to doing anything that could hurt the underlying carbon fiber. But it is about five inches long.

Thoughts?

Scott
Scott , I got a nice rock chip on my carbon fiber splitter and was thinking just like you but I found a awesome solution. It's called the Simoniz fix it pro. It is a marker style clear coat scratch repair filler and sealer. I used on my rock chip and it filled it right in and the chip is now non existent. You can use it anywhere on the car and it works with any color. Should be able to find it any auto parts store.

Regards,
Tim
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt

Thoughts?

Scott

if you have a porter cable and some megs 205 it will buff out if its superficial. I have done this with mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Scratch in clear coat on carbon fiber roof

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Scratch in clear coat on carbon fiber roof