Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I bent a wheel stud... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 285 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Default I bent a wheel stud... Help!

In the process of switching wheels i bent a stud on the front. Can i hammer it out without removing the caliper or will i have to remove the rotor? 2012 non carbon brakes. I did a quick search and did not find anything specific to a C6 Z.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,046 Likes on 5,390 Posts

You can hammer it out but there isn't much room. On the side of the knuckle where the caliper mounts there is a small notch that provides just enough room to get a stock sized stud in and out of the hub. One really good whack with a BFH will knock the stud out and then you can wiggle it around until it slides out. To put in a new stud wiggle it in until you can get the stud into the hub hole and then using a washer with a lug nut put on backwards tighten the stud until it pulls completely through the hole and the knurled end is solidly holding the stud in the hole. If you can find a lug nut with the proper size threads and with both ends allowing you to put a socket over them then you use an impact wrench to pull the stud into place.

Bill
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks Bill... I was too pissed off to pull the wheel back off to look. New stud in hand from the Chebby dealer. Glad to hear that I don't have to pull the caliper.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Hope you get it sorted out. Can I ask how in the world did you bend the stud?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hope you get it sorted out. Can I ask how in the world did you bend the stud?
I'm not exactly sure... I'm not an expert mechanic, but I can certainly can handle a ratchet and torque wrench... Or so I thought. It has just enough of a slight bend in it to make it wobble the socket/extension while snuging it up.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
I'm not exactly sure... I'm not an expert mechanic, but I can certainly can handle a ratchet and torque wrench... Or so I thought. It has just enough of a slight bend in it to make it wobble the socket/extension while snuging it up.
Good luck.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 838 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
Thanks Bill...
Glad to hear that I don't have to pull the caliper.
Hmmmm.....I'm not sure Bill said that!?!?

I'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the caliper off to be able to get the stud in/out.

Butt...maybe you can figure out a way without moving the caliper out of the way.

The rotor will inhibit your ability to wiggle a bent stud to get it out. Once you pull the caliper off the rotor will just pull right off, then you'll have access to the stud and plenty of room to give it a good whack without damaging the rotor.

It is very easy to remove the caliper!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-20-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,046 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hmmmm.....I'm not sure Bill said that!?!?

I'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the caliper off to be able to get the stud in/out.

Butt...maybe you can figure out a way without moving the caliper out of the way.

The rotor will inhibit your ability to wiggle a bent stud to get it out. Once you pull the caliper off the rotor will just pull right off, then you'll have access to the stud and plenty of room to give it a good whack without damaging the rotor.

It is very easy to remove the caliper!

Bob
Yes, I did mean the caliper and rotor have to come off. Not hard to do. Two bolts hold the caliper on. Just spread the pads apart before trying to remove it and once you get the bolts out pull it off the rotor and tie it to the upper control arm with some baling twine or wire. Then pull the rotor and you are ready to work on the stud.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To I bent a wheel stud... Help!

Quick Reply: [Z06] I bent a wheel stud... Help!