Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone know where to get harness slots put in stock seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
383ystrim
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone know where to get harness slots put in stock seats?

First of all, is it possible to get harness slots into the head rests of the stock seats? I know APSIS and Caravaggio use you stock seats to do their magic, but I am concerned that their seats are going to be too small/tight for me. As I have mentioned in a few other threads, I am 6'4.5" and 275lbs with a 38-39" waist. I am worried that if I spend $6k for seats, they won't fit and they would be uncomfortable.

I have a shark bar and I want to put harnesses in the car. I don't want them coming "around" the outside of the seats. Is what I am asking possible?

I have had racing seats in my car before and the side bolsters make it hard to get in and out of the car for a tall guy. I like the fit of my stock seats....
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

It is possible, forum member RichieRichZ06 has it done to his car. He just had a local upholstery do the work. You may want to PM him for more details.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
383ystrim
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you sir. I will try to PM RichieRich.

The help you get on the forum is amazing
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
jruben4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear what you find out as well. Would be nice to have a harness option without loosing the airbags.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jruben4
I'd like to hear what you find out as well. Would be nice to have a harness option without loosing the airbags.
same here , let us know.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,045 Likes on 5,389 Posts

A number of organizations will not let people run with moded stock seats. It is difficult to get the pass throughs in the proper place to allow the belt to pass directly from your shoulder to the harness bar. If the pass through deflects the belt either up or down then the seat becomes part of the harness. You also need to solve the problem of the sub belt. Unless you have a car that can make use of the DOT Legal 4 point tuner belts from Schroth you need to have sub belts. Even though you solve those issues the stock seat still will not provide sufficient lateral support. Your upper body will still move back and forth and you will still be using your legs and hands to help keep your body in place.

If you go with an aluminum race seat you can bend the seat side outward to make it easier to get in and out of the car. You would still need to sit on the side and drop your butt into the seat and then swing your legs in and when getting out pretty much do the reverse but it works. If you can get by with a 15 or 16 inch aluminum seat you could mount it quite close to the floor on Hardbar rails and potentially gain some headroom.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know where to get harness slots put in stock seats?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone know where to get harness slots put in stock seats?