Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] hoosiers end of life

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Nickvet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default hoosiers end of life

Hello everyone

Just wondering - what's the best way to estimate how much thread wear is left on a Hoosier A6 tire for HPDEs ? A friend of mine had the outer thread of his tire shear off during a HPDE, and the steel cords were showing. Needless to say he had to quit early . A friend once told me that the punched out (or in) marks on the tires are the gauge to go by, but they seem much too deep for the level of comfort that I want. I also see the wear bars, as typical on a regular tire, and these seem to be a more realistic gauge to go by. It is typical for me to find pieces of tire compound melted and stuck to the inside of my rim after a run at the track, and they are wearing faster on the outside corner of the fronts.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,625 Likes on 2,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickvet
Hello everyone

Just wondering - what's the best way to estimate how much thread wear is left on a Hoosier A6 tire for HPDEs ? A friend of mine had the outer thread of his tire shear off during a HPDE, and the steel cords were showing. Needless to say he had to quit early . A friend once told me that the punched out (or in) marks on the tires are the gauge to go by, but they seem much too deep for the level of comfort that I want. I also see the wear bars, as typical on a regular tire, and these seem to be a more realistic gauge to go by. It is typical for me to find pieces of tire compound melted and stuck to the inside of my rim after a run at the track, and they are wearing faster on the outside corner of the fronts.
I can't help on the A6 wear issue, but the pieces of tire on the inside of the rims is standard practice for tires that are tracked. I was at Willow Springs last Saturday with my NT-05's and the inside front rims were covered, the rears a little less so. NT-05s are 200 wear rated street tires that stand up well to track use for those of us that prefer not to run R-compound track tires.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe try my method, although quite by accident. Drive to/from track days on Hoosier R6's, so did some light tread grooving with an Ideal #125 hot iron to help a bit in rain travel. Easy to see when the outside shoulder is wearing down, and just have the tire store flip the fronts. Depends on your driving style and track, as if tail happy, the rears tend to cord all the way across first. If the track rubber chunks bother you, a heat gun and putty knife, get it off pretty quick.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM
01C5fan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually get mine flipped (inside out) after about 6 track days. I always run them down to the cords before replacement. If you ever get a chance, check out a set on a T1 car after a race. It's amazing that they still hold air! Lots of cord showing.

Get notified of new replies

To hoosiers end of life

Quick Reply: [Z06] hoosiers end of life