Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] heads, cam, headers, intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default heads, cam, headers, intake?

I have a basically stock 08 Z ( has borla cat back) And I am going to add some goodies to it over the winter. I figured I would ask around about what the best combo to use, in your opinion, would be. I am not to concerned about smog stuff because we done have checks here in wisconsin.

I was going to go with a good set of aftermarket heads. Something like AFRs or LSAs but I have been reading alot of reviews on companies that offer stage 1-3 port jobs. I also have read mixed reviews about changing the exhaust valves out to SS valves.

As far as headers go, I am 99% sure I will be going with American racing Headers. I have them on my built 92 and I am very impressed with the quality.

As far as the intake goes, Does the Fast intake make that big of a difference over the stock LS7 intake? Is it worth the 700 or so bucks?

Last but not least, What cam should I go with? I know there is a huge range of cams out there and I want something that is going to sound wild, make good power but still retain my every day drivability.

I hope I can get some constructive answeres here! I would like to start ordering parts soon!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
lilredvette05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car in future..? Race/track/street or all. I would think long and hard how much hp is gonna be enough. Like do you ever plan on FI. This will save you a lot of $$...
AR good choice for headers, cam well I would try to find someone that has a cam so you could listen and drive to experience it but Katech has the torquer which a lot of people use. Or you can just have one custom grind from a reputable shop.

As far as heads WCCH, along with several others all do great work and can refresh ls7 heads.

The FAST intake is worth the money if your trying to squeeze every hp out of it on a N/A build. I gained 6hp & 21tq through entire curve but to a lot of people that's not worth the 1k or so. Hope this helps
Old 10-20-2013, 03:35 PM
darr3239
Instructor

Originally Posted by lilredvette05
The FAST intake is worth the money if your trying to squeeze every hp out of it on a N/A build. I gained 6hp & 21tq through entire curve but to a lot of people that's not worth the 1k or so. Hope this helps
How could 6hp possibly be worth $1000? Even if you actually race on a regular basis, isn't there something else to better spend the money on?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darr3239
How could 6hp possibly be worth $1000? Even if you actually race on a regular basis, isn't there something else to better spend the money on?

The 21 ft/lbs of torque that he gained is delivered throughout midrange RPM...and it definitely helps in acceleration.

But I agree with you, 6hp isn't necessarily worth the $1000. However, if you plan on further engine mods this will further enhance your power gains.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

The more mods you have, the higher the gains will be with the FAST.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

just do heads and cam forget the headers and fast intake.Bang for the buck heads and cam are the best mods .For the cam i recommend a custom grind from Arun at dasilva motorsports in Toronto.I ve seen the vettes that come out of that shop run and their owners all wear big smiles.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I have a basically stock 08 Z ( has borla cat back) And I am going to add some goodies to it over the winter. I figured I would ask around about what the best combo to use, in your opinion, would be. I am not to concerned about smog stuff because we done have checks here in wisconsin.

I was going to go with a good set of aftermarket heads. Something like AFRs or LSAs but I have been reading alot of reviews on companies that offer stage 1-3 port jobs. I also have read mixed reviews about changing the exhaust valves out to SS valves.

As far as headers go, I am 99% sure I will be going with American racing Headers. I have them on my built 92 and I am very impressed with the quality.

As far as the intake goes, Does the Fast intake make that big of a difference over the stock LS7 intake? Is it worth the 700 or so bucks?

Last but not least, What cam should I go with? I know there is a huge range of cams out there and I want something that is going to sound wild, make good power but still retain my every day drivability.

I hope I can get some constructive answeres here! I would like to start ordering parts soon!
Personally, I wouldn't even consider doing what you have planned and using anything other than solid stainless exhaust valves.

IMO, if you're going to go to the effort you are talking about, no need to leave a weak link like the stock hollow stemmed valves in the mix to break a valve head off and end up destroying the entire works.

No up side, and nobody is going to reimburse you for leaving a weak link in your build.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

I definitely dont need a broke valve stem.

I am debating leaving it n/a or throwing some large combustion chamber heads on to lower the CR and throwing a procharger on it.

I have a 1992 procharged LT4 383 now and love the feel when she is under boost. Its actually way faster than my Z. I cant imagine what the Z would feel like with a F1a on it...

Ones got to ask, is there ever a limit to to much hp?
I think not lol.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Originally Posted by darr3239
There's always better ways to spend money on, but he asked about the FAST so I gave my opinion.... The key phrase was " every little hp out of it ". Sure I didn't gain much top gains but under the curve is what counts. At the end of the day it all adds up .
How fast you wanna go depends on how much $$ u wanna spend
Old 10-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,131 Likes on 599 Posts

I definitely dont need a broke valve stem.

I am debating leaving it n/a or throwing some large combustion chamber heads on to lower the CR and throwing a procharger on it.

I have a 1992 procharged LT4 383 now and love the feel when she is under boost. Its actually way faster than my Z. I cant imagine what the Z would feel like with a F1a on it...

Ones got to ask, is there ever a limit to to much hp?
I think not lol.
I believe your thinking about aftermarket head availability for the other "LS" motors. The LS7 head is only produced by a handful of MFR's, none of which you've mentioned. Large combustion chambers (to my knowledge) are not on the market, meaning if you want a lower CR for boosted applications you'll have to do it with different pistons.

WCCH does top-notch work and will get you're existing heads flowing like gang busters. Other MFRs are; MAST, PRC, Procomp, All Pro, Brodix and RHS.

I would suggest you do a few more searches before you make the leap.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:06 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

I wasn't sure if a larger combustion chamber is available but I dont see why they wouldnt have one.

There are a few aftermarket ls7 heads available. I wasn't sure if afr had some or not.

I do plan on doing more research, hence this post asking for peoples input. Im not planning on just ordering parts without knowing what I am getting. Im kind of a methodical person. I just finished the build on my 92 and figured I would do the Z over the winter.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone.

Last edited by smooth1990; 10-21-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:15 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

WCCH and prob a few others that work on LS7 heads will work on the combustion chambers. Frankenstein racing heads ported/opened mine up to 72cc or so for a lower than 11:1
Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Lilredvette, what do you all have done?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Headers, heads, FAST intake, cam, A&A blower kit with all supporting. A few more goodies but nothing major
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Any dyno numbers?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Any dyno numbers?
Yeah I made 660/613 tuned pretty conservative on 91. I'm going to be adding a Dallas performance dual nozzle meth kit and complete tune on 93 in next couple weeks or so
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Nice! How much boost? Stock pistons?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 AM
lilredvette05
Racer

Thanks, right at 6lbs just a hair under. Yea stock pistons

Get notified of new replies

To heads, cam, headers, intake?

Quick Reply: [Z06] heads, cam, headers, intake?