Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] c7 vs c6Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledpassion
And the predecessor to such cars as the C7Z06, 5th gen Viper...I'd even say the Camaro ZL1 & Z/28 and thus, all of the competition in the pony arena as well. For a decade now every American automaker has been trying to build their version of a car that could take the Z out, lol. The way I see it, the C6Z ushered in a new standard of expectations for performance cars. It also brought forth the notion that middle class citizens could have a world-class American sports car at a fraction of the cost. Not only that, but it did so by huge margins which keeps this car still in the ranks today as something to not underestimate on the street or track.

It basically is to the American auto performance world what George Washington is to the foundation of this country.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,042 Likes on 5,386 Posts

It depends on the track. The C7 gives away 200 lbs that make it harder to accelerate, corner and stop. The LT1 has the same power and torque curve from idle to 4K rpm so on a short road course the only disadvantage may be the weight. However, the eLSD seems to help the car power off the corner's better. On a course where you don't get above 4K rpm all that often the LS7 can't get into its upper rpm range as much due to running out of track so the two cars are closer in performance than you would think just considering weight and peak power figures. The C7 seems to carry more speed through a corner and can launch off the corner better. If the cars are driven by two equally capable drivers at the same time on a 1.5 mile or less tight course the C7 may hand the C6Z's *** to it. However, get out on a course like the Glen with its long straights and high speed turns and that extra 2500 rpm where power keeps building at a faster rate than the LT1 can make the difference. It can be a very close race.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
tonypittman (02-24-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,515 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Between a C7 Stingray and a C6Z, I'd rather have the latter. Owned one for 5 1/2 years and love the look of them and the glorious sound of the LS7. Now, the C7Z06 is a different beast altogether and a blast to drive.

I still have and love my C6 ZR tho along with my C7Z06:

C6Z, C7Z and C6ZR - - - 3 best vettes ever made, IMO.

Last edited by OnPoint; 02-25-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B.
We really gotta get a beer sometime. We're on the same page of thought...
Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 AM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It depends on the track. The C7 gives away 200 lbs that make it harder to accelerate, corner and stop. The LT1 has the same power and torque curve from idle to 4K rpm so on a short road course the only disadvantage may be the weight. However, the eLSD seems to help the car power off the corner's better. On a course where you don't get above 4K rpm all that often the LS7 can't get into its upper rpm range as much due to running out of track so the two cars are closer in performance than you would think just considering weight and peak power figures. The C7 seems to carry more speed through a corner and can launch off the corner better. If the cars are driven by two equally capable drivers at the same time on a 1.5 mile or less tight course the C7 may hand the C6Z's *** to it. However, get out on a course like the Glen with its long straights and high speed turns and that extra 2500 rpm where power keeps building at a faster rate than the LT1 can make the difference. It can be a very close race.

Bill
Good input, but something that runs through my mind is what happens to that power curve of the LS7 when we put some proper long tubes/CAI/cam etc on it? With the right setup, these motors can make as much as 450wtq @ 3K rpms...I feel like the LS7 might be a bit more choked off from the factory, but I could be sorely wrong about that too.

Can an LT1 do that? (I'm being serious when I ask). My interest is not in figuring out which car is faster in stock form but rather which car has a better platform for performance. Sure, the C7 has all the tech goodies, but with coilovers, bigger brakes, better tires and a couple of tasteful engine mods, would the C6Z be a better track car at that point? I'm still viewing this in light of cost vs. performance. I think the C7 has a few years before it becomes a feasible alternative to the C6Z as far as cost-to-performance is concerned...

Last edited by fueledpassion; 02-25-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Bill

Isn't one of the purposes of a multi-geared transmission is being able to select a gear that keeps the engine in the RPM range you want. If I'm going into a turn where my RPM is going to drop below what I want to run, I downshift, keeping my RPM up. I don't want to come out a corner at 2,000-2,500 RPM, so I select a gear where I'm running 4,000-4,500 RPM and then run it to max before upshifting, or downshifting in a lower gear entering another corner.

Doesn't' matter if I'm on a short, tight course, or a long course with long straights, I use the transmission to keep the engine in the proper powerband.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-25-2016 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
furiousox (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Bill
I disagree based on my reading about the C7Z. It has way more power down low than an LS7. But it doesn't matter much, you can only put down so much power if you are actually using the entire track as you should.

Up top too the C7Z has a solid 110 rwhp advantage (more torque too) than the LS7. even on a short track you should be getting over 4K rpm. If you are not, downshift!

I've been on tracks enough to know it's mostly about set up: tires and alignment, brakes, dealing with heat.

Stock for stock, I'd take the C6Z for track work. It's lighter, it doesn't overheat, and it's pretty easy to get more power than you can ever really utilize. Also cost less if you hit a (literal) wall!

As others have pointed out, a stock base model C4 is more car than 90% will ever use anyways.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 AM
XLR8-R
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I disagree based on my reading about the C7Z. It has way more power down low than an LS7. But it doesn't matter much, you can only put down so much power if you are actually using the entire track as you should.

Up top too the C7Z has a solid 110 rwhp advantage (more torque too) than the LS7. even on a short track you should be getting over 4K rpm. If you are not, downshift!

I've been on tracks enough to know it's mostly about set up: tires and alignment, brakes, dealing with heat.

Stock for stock, I'd take the C6Z for track work. It's lighter, it doesn't overheat, and it's pretty easy to get more power than you can ever really utilize. Also cost less if you hit a (literal) wall!

As others have pointed out, a stock base model C4 is more car than 90% will ever use anyways.
Bill is referring to a base C7 Stingray which is what the original poster was inquiring about. I am sure Bill feels the C7Z is superior to the C6Z or he wouldn't have bought one. I would say with his track experience, his opinion holds more weight with me then most...But I will still take my C6Z!

Last edited by XLR8-R; 02-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 PM
olddragger
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

its the old saying --for road course racing--which is better lighter weight or more power?
With a few right mods (Nothing extreme) I think a c6z will hang with the c7z on a road course. It would be close. Remember the STOCK c7 Z is reported to have heat soak issues. Bill can probably give a personnel perspective concerning that.
Most track guys I know say that after about 500 rwhp--power benefits start diminishing?

c6z versus C7 oem versus oem--C6Z ftw

Last edited by olddragger; 02-25-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by olddragger
its the old saying --for road course racing--which is better lighter weight or more power?
With a few right mods (Nothing extreme) I think a c6z will hang with the c7z on a road course. It would be close. Remember the STOCK c7 Z is reported to have heat soak issues. Bill can probably give a personnel perspective concerning that.
Most track guys I know say that after about 500 rwhp--power benefits start diminishing?

c6z versus C7 oem versus oem--C6Z ftw
There is a video floating around of a C7 Z06/Z07 behind a C5 coupe(not a Z06). The C5 was lighter weight and had plenty of horsepower(supercharged). The C5 did not have a front splitter, running boards nor a huge rear spoiler or wing(just a small spoiler on the rear about the size of what was on a 1968 Camaro).

Even with all the "downforce" that the C7 Z06/Z07 owners like to brag about(and with 650bhp), it couldn't keep up with the C5 on a road course.

The C5 did have brake improvements(but not carbon ceramic like the C7 Z06) and suspension upgrades(but no electronic limit slip differential like the C7 Z06) and did have flared rear fenders with wider wheels/tires(that increased aero drag without increasing downforce).

It's easy to get more horsepower, but hard to shed weight. More horsepower in a C5 or C6 Z06 with their lighter weight, and it's a win-win. Mild mods will get you 550-575rwhp in a C6 Z06(without requiring a heavier supercharger). That puts you equal with a C7 Z06 in horsepower and you still have 350 pounds less weight than the C7 Z06.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-25-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:44 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

for the average drivers these cars' performance is close enough the nut behind the wheel will be the determining factor IMO

for the c6z it's a high RPM beast relative to the LT1, but while the LT1 matches the LS7's torque up to 4000rpm it also has 200+ lbs of extra weight to carry

The C7 did feel more agile and more eager at turn in but the c6z is also a complete monster
Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Do you have a video you would like to share of the C7 Z06/Z07 going around Nurburgring like this one showing the C6 Z06/Z07 and the C6 ZR1?

https://youtu.be/uFSkczD2i14

I might add that when GM did runs with the C6, the cars were set up with FACTORY trim heights and the FACTORY alignment. That means the cars GM tested were set to FACTORY specs, exactly as the cars roll off the assembly line at Bowling Green.

With the C7, GM changed that with the cars they tested, and handed over to the car magazines, etc for testing that were set at a NON-Factory alignment. 2 degrees of camber on the C7's is a non-stock alignment.

Additionally, the C7's tested are on a newer generation of Cup tires. Since the Cup2 tire is a street tire of the same size as the C6 Z06/Z07 and ZR1, it is perfectly okay to compare the C7 Z06/Z07 to a C6 with the same Cup2 tires. Do you have any track results of the C6 Z06/Z07 and the ZR1 with Cup2 tires and with 2 degrees of camber so we are comparing cars, and not comparing tires and non stock alignments. Difficult to compare track results when the two different generations were not set up with equal FACTORY alignment settings when they were tested.
C6Zo7 is one of the fastest Z's.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 572 Posts

This is kind of long but bear with me if you can.

About 2 years ago I had the opportunity to drive the C7 Z51 and the last C6 Z06 in the fleet at the Spring Mountain 3 day school. Most of my time was spent in the C6 Z06 but I had plenty of laps in the C7 also. This is an interesting discussion with good points made on both sides.

In any case, there was a lot of discussion between students and instructors about how the 2 cars compared. The instructors said that the best lap times for both cars were very close, at least on the east course which is fairly tight. They did not pick a winner, although some preferred the Z06 and some the C7. I suspect they were trying to dodge picking a clear winner to avoid fueling the debate. They did say that the C7 E diff was an advantage as were the newer design, stickier Michelins on that car- the C6 Z06 was wearing factory correct replacement tires from the end of the C6 run.

My personal experience was that the cars pulled about the same until midrange RPMs and then the Z06 simply walked away. I doubt that I could have caught up to the Z06 in a C7 even if the C7 did carry more speed through the corners. A more experienced track driver might make up the difference by utilizing the improved diff and better tires, but I think most of us mere mortals could run faster in the Z06.

An interesting opportunity took place during the 3rd day when we got to run solo at our own max pace and we were allowed to pass the slower cars on the 2 straightaways. There was a real nice guy from Canada who was consistently fast from day 1. In talking to him I learned that he had a lot of track experience racing motorcycles and some racing in cars. No wonder.

During one session I got caught up behind slower traffic, waiting for the next passing zone to come up. During that wait he caught up to me in the C7 he was in. I was very aware of that because I saw him coming in my mirror and nobody else could have closed on me at that rate. Once we hit the passing zone we went by the traffic and he remained on my tail with quite a bit of time left in the session. Much to my surprise I managed to stay ahead of him through the rest of the session. When we parked he told me that once we passed the slower traffic he couldn't gain an inch on me. He was clearly the best driver in the class so I took that as a huge compliment even if it was just that one session. Best memory of the entire experience and there were a lot of good ones.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I talked with a GM rep who was part of the testing of the C7 Z51 at VIR. He said the C7 was 1 to 1.5 seconds off the standard C6Z time lap on lap. As most know VIR is a very fast track with two long straights which lends itself to the LS-7's capabilities so it is understandable that it would consistently win on that track.
A shorter track with the ediff and similar torque characteristics of the C7 in the lower RPM range should make for a very close race.

I have argued before that putting the same type tires on the two cars and same suspension set ups that the C6Z would consistently win against a C7Z51. I have also suggested that same tires and suspension set ups with say a heads/cam/headers C6Z against a C7Z would also be a very close race.

Quick Reply: [Z06] c7 vs c6Z