Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

My CNC'd head ports finished by hand!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 10:34 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 107 Posts

One more comment and one more question: From the dyno graph it appears that the wheel torque is reduced below 4100 RPM, so the claim that power is increased everywhere is at odds with the dyno results.

From the beautiful photos that OP has provided, it appears that the lower end of the valve guides have been machined. I wonder if this is a great idea for our LS7 engines which are plagued with excessive valve guide wear as well as lateral forces on the top of the valves due to high rocker ratio and geometry. I can see contouring the exposed end of the valve guides to minimize flow reduction, but not cutting them off entirely. If anything, I would prefer longer valve guides if I cannot have roller-tipped rocker arms. Seeking comments from our cylinder head gurus.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:10 PM
Tundraguy
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06
One more comment and one more question: From the dyno graph it appears that the wheel torque is reduced below 4100 RPM, so the claim that power is increased everywhere is at odds with the dyno results.

From the beautiful photos that OP has provided, it appears that the lower end of the valve guides have been machined. I wonder if this is a great idea for our LS7 engines which are plagued with excessive valve guide wear as well as lateral forces on the top of the valves due to high rocker ratio and geometry. I can see contouring the exposed end of the valve guides to minimize flow reduction, but not cutting them off entirely. If anything, I would prefer longer valve guides if I cannot have roller-tipped rocker arms. Seeking comments from our cylinder head gurus.

The torque loss is minimal below 4100rpm and honestly that amount of loss could be from Dyno pull to Dyno pull.

And I do have roller tip rockers. When I received my heads from Wilkes performance the valve guides were already cut for better air flow. I do understand that concern. And it's something that I'll check periodically.

Quick Reply: My CNC'd head ports finished by hand!