Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Monster clutch SC twin disc failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 12:51 PM
reagandhughes
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Monster clutch SC twin disc failure

~600 RWHP at most on the Z06. Monster clutch SC twin disc outer spring failed after about 20-30k miles. Took these pictures with a bore scope (Teslon from Amazon $80). Unsure if the pieces are still all in the bell housing or if some of it fell out. The loose piece hanging dug into the bell housing and making a loud clicking/tapping with each RPM as it hits a certain high spot in the bell housing. I street the car, previous owner did several passes at the drag strip. From the looks of it the thickness of that metal spring is just not thick enough. That whole piece seems way to thin, not enough rivets, and when it comes down to it seems to be an over-complicated way to apply a bit more pressure on those areas, seems like a poor design. All of the Monster Clutch lineups appear to have this. Seems with heat, flexing, and shock the metal just sheared. There could have been something else that impacted it but I think it is highly unlikely, I don't see anything else broken. I think one side broke and with high RPM and rapid ramp to peak RPMs is slung it out. I have a few options: cut a window in the bell housing to make enough room to cut the broken piece out and go easy on it due to the damage of the bell housing and lack of integrity due to the window cut. Replace the clutch, bell housing, and throwout bearings etc myself, or take it to a shop. Obviously I know it needs to be all replaced, but it will be a headache to do.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:37 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I was just about to order one of these for my heads/cam z06, dammit.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:17 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,316 Likes on 953 Posts

That is an oem C7 corvette GM clutch, monster doesn’t make them.

which master cyl are you running? That “spring” as you call it is not to apply more pressure - it’s to stop travel. I’m guessing you have a different master cyl vs stock and thus more travel which has now snapped it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Apocolipse:
drewz06 (10-27-2022), GMJim (10-27-2022), SebringZ06x (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 01:26 AM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,176 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
That is an oem C7 corvette GM clutch, monster doesn’t make them.

which master cyl are you running? That “spring” as you call it is not to apply more pressure - it’s to stop travel. I’m guessing you have a different master cyl vs stock and thus more travel which has now snapped it.
Oops.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:23 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 909 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
I was just about to order one of these for my heads/cam z06, dammit.
I wouldn't let this one failure stop you from buying this clutch. Lol

Run a clutch pedal stop.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Zed (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:00 PM
ky13
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That was going to be my question for the OP. Are you running a pedal stop?
Old 10-26-2022, 11:20 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I wouldn't let this one failure stop you from buying this clutch. Lol

Run a clutch pedal stop.
To clarify, is this truly the Monster Twin disc lt1-s clutch or did the OP mistake his clutch with another one?
One post says it's a c7 lt1 clutch which I'm told is exactly what the Monster lt1-s is but with upgraded clutch material...I'm still confused haha
Old 10-26-2022, 11:56 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 909 Likes on 696 Posts

This is a Monster clutch. They use the LT1 (hence the name) pressure plate.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:04 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by jayyyw
This is a Monster clutch. They use the LT1 (hence the name) pressure plate.
His clutch has 20-30k miles so that is pretty decent if used aggressively for that long. I'll probably do 20k miles over 5 years lol, I should be safe with this clutch.
The following users liked this post:
jayyyw (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 07:09 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,335 Likes on 904 Posts

If it is an LT1-S clutch, it should last well over 100K miles as it is indeed a stock GM clutch but with a one-peice flywheel to fit C6 Corvettes instead of the C7. Definitely a good idea to use a pedal stop so there is less stress on the return spring.

I have the LT1-S clutch in my C6 GS and I am pushing 650 HP at the flywheel. Its been on the car for almost 10K miles. But I did install a ECS clutch stop at the time of clutch install. I would estimate that the stop reduces clutch pedal travel by half which is significantly less stress on the pressure plate return spring.

Regardless that looks like pre-mature failure to me. I would contact Monster and see if there is anything they can do for you.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:27 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

for clarity....

Old 10-27-2022, 08:39 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
To clarify, is this truly the Monster Twin disc lt1-s clutch or did the OP mistake his clutch with another one?
One post says it's a c7 lt1 clutch which I'm told is exactly what the Monster lt1-s is but with upgraded clutch material...I'm still confused haha
Monster uses stock GM C7 pressure plates for their clutches (may as well) and depending on the type they are oem C7 clutch disks (or upgraded), then makes a custom flywheel so it fits a C6.

OP still hasn’t replied if they used a tick master or not which would hyper extend the pressure plate since more fluid is moved in the stroke vs stock.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:20 PM
Diavolo_Z
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

The springs on the monster are yellowish/green (can confirm they were this way on my LT1-sc, the springs in the picture are not.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

The clutch is made by Luk for oem. You can see the stickers and stamps.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:44 PM
reagandhughes
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. @Diavolo_Z I noticed that as well but... a lot of used clutches the paint color (including OEM) fades a lot and makes it very hard to tell. My questions exactly when I got this assembly out (pictures in next post): is this actually a monster clutch. It definitely isn't not the OEM Z06 clutch (see pictures below of OEM z06 clutch). As others have stated monster clutch does use GM pressure plate and a portion of their clutch for the S models from videos I have watched. I finally got the clutch out. It does not appear to be the 'SC' model as it does not have the ceramic clutch material, but I believe it is the 'S' twin disc monster clutch.

OEM Z06 clutch:

Old 11-19-2022, 01:56 PM
reagandhughes
Intermediate

Here is the pictures of the clutch I removed. From appearances it does seem to be the S series twin disc monster clutch. I also have a new looking GM hydraulic assembly. I reached out to the previous owner and he sent me the invoice for the clutch installed and what not. It included the billet throw out bearing support from monster which is definitely not actually on the car.. Seems like whoever put this in might have not actually installed what they said they did.. I still need to take off the fly wheel and see if it is a monster clutch. Also making a 2 hour really detailed video of this process...

Chewed up bell housing

Closer damage

GM hydraulic

No billet monster support bearing

I believe there is the first clutch plate inside of here

GM logo on pressure plate

second clutch plate
Old 11-19-2022, 11:41 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by reagandhughes
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. @Diavolo_Z I noticed that as well but... a lot of used clutches the paint color (including OEM) fades a lot and makes it very hard to tell. My questions exactly when I got this assembly out (pictures in next post): is this actually a monster clutch. It definitely isn't not the OEM Z06 clutch (see pictures below of OEM z06 clutch). As others have stated monster clutch does use GM pressure plate and a portion of their clutch for the S models from videos I have watched. I finally got the clutch out. It does not appear to be the 'SC' model as it does not have the ceramic clutch material, but I believe it is the 'S' twin disc monster clutch.

OEM Z06 clutch:
Thats because this is a picture for a C6. We are talking about the GM C7 clutch - which is what your car has - and is what Monster uses.

Get notified of new replies

To Monster clutch SC twin disc failure

Old 11-20-2022, 08:53 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 364 Posts

Replace the bellhousing and it looks like the input shaft needs replacing also.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:37 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Also OP - which master cyl is in your car?
Old 11-20-2022, 06:31 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Thats because this is a picture for a C6. We are talking about the GM C7 clutch - which is what your car has - and is what Monster uses.
Holy ****! I can't be the only one confused here trying to follow all this. OP unsure what he has, others saying he has this or that, still no conclusions.

Quick Reply: Monster clutch SC twin disc failure