Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Trying to get my heads fixed in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 05:57 AM
lmfpires
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to get my heads fixed in Europe

I bought a Z06 C6, but I have some (obvious) questions regarding the valve drop issue. Sorry for another post related to this

I bought a C6 Z06 in Europe with 65.000km (40.000 miles).

The car is from June 2007.

As far as I know, the engine had no issues up to date - by checking Carfax - and it might be completely stock without any head/valves intervention.

My questions are.

1st - is the ls7 from June 2007 also prone to the famous ls7 valve drop issue?

2nd - already contacted Chevrolet in my country to take the car for the valve inspection. What do you guys recommend? Replace the valves or put OEM valves?

3rd - Do you know any company in Europe that can sell me the heads or the bronzes to fix this issue? I'm asking this because one option is to send the heads to the US and get them done there, but i do not feel comfortable letting the car sit in the mechanic for 2-3 months. So, one option is to buy the heads and assemble them here in my country.

Kind regards
Old 07-01-2024, 06:03 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,930 Likes on 3,122 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There are hundreds of posts regarding the different head "fixes" here, all model years can be affected...my own personal suggestion is to go to an aftermarket design
Old 07-01-2024, 06:15 AM
lmfpires
6th Gear

I know, but im trying to find help in Europe...or Ebay, where I can buy the heads with the customs tax already included.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:38 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 466 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

well, i'm not in Europe, but I'm in Montreal Canada. Still pretty far and another country.
I bought AHP pkg 4 heads. Installation took 2 days at my local Porsche shop (I didn't know anyone else who would be competent at that point)
Then shipped my original cores back to AHP for credit (and claimed back taxes from gov't).
Like you, I didn't want down time.
As chance will have it, I learned afterwards that the originals were only slightly out of spec (10,000km), so maybe they would have lasted...but how long?
I now have 20,000km on the AHP heads and valve train is silent. So, I feel much better having done it and will have them checked again locally (wiggle test) and have the valve springs changed at 50,000km as I do track the car a little, so its normal to do a little maintenance.

Good luck with whatever direction you take
Tommy

PS I have the stock cam/valve train for reliability and longevity.
The following users liked this post:
American Heritage (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 09:41 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lmfpires
I bought a Z06 C6, but I have some (obvious) questions regarding the valve drop issue. Sorry for another post related to this

I bought a C6 Z06 in Europe with 65.000km (40.000 miles).

The car is from June 2007.

As far as I know, the engine had no issues up to date - by checking Carfax - and it might be completely stock without any head/valves intervention.

My questions are.

1st - is the ls7 from June 2007 also prone to the famous ls7 valve drop issue?

2nd - already contacted Chevrolet in my country to take the car for the valve inspection. What do you guys recommend? Replace the valves or put OEM valves?

3rd - Do you know any company in Europe that can sell me the heads or the bronzes to fix this issue? I'm asking this because one option is to send the heads to the US and get them done there, but i do not feel comfortable letting the car sit in the mechanic for 2-3 months. So, one option is to buy the heads and assemble them here in my country.

Kind regards
I would speak with w @Tony @ Mamo Motorsports to see what he could do to help you out bud. He is a wizard when it comes to the LS7
Old 07-01-2024, 10:04 AM
lmfpires
6th Gear

thanks a lot!

I want to keep the car stock. That's enough power and enough to take the car on track, etc...

I facing some difficulties in setting up the heads on the AHP website. What do you recommend to set as a guide, porting, springs, core, milling intake and exhaust valves?

I just want to be relaxed when it comes to the valve drop issue. I don't want more power.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:33 AM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 466 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I suggest you email Kohle hp@americanheritageperformance.com
and set up a time to discuss with him directly. Maybe even FaceTime or WhatsApp

If it were me, I'd probably go for the basic package but optioned with the new TiMo intake valves, Ferrea exhaust, PM guides and either new or tested stock beehive springs. But that's just me
Old 07-01-2024, 11:01 AM
GermanCorvetteGuy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello,

I am also located in Europe. Good corvette shops are kind of rare but I would contact the following sops:
  • coolchevy-raceparts in austria
  • corvettetotal in sitzerland
  • Dyno-Center GmbH in germany
  • callaway-competition in germany
  • appracingengines in netherlands
In my opinion coolchevy raceparts is the best source we have in Europe.

Hope that helps and good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by GermanCorvetteGuy:
Landru (07-01-2024), VerTigo456 (Yesterday)
Old 07-01-2024, 11:53 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 143 Posts

thanks a lot!

I want to keep the car stock. That's enough power and enough to take the car on track, etc...

I facing some difficulties in setting up the heads on the AHP website. What do you recommend to set as a guide, porting, springs, core, milling intake and exhaust valves?

I just want to be relaxed when it comes to the valve drop issue. I don't want more power.

I understand,

You dont need to do all of that other stuff if you dont want more power. The head “fix” fixes nothing,
it just gives you a false sense of security before the valve drops into the cylinder.

The only way to get away from the valve drop geometry issue is to get away from oem style heads all together.

The only company that does that is TFS trickflow specialties and Tony only uses their heads for his packages. If you’re looking for a dependable cylinder head. “Fixing” the OEM heads is not the way to go.

Take a look at these few threads …

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...z0hhhh6-5.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1606295331

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-is-a-lot.html

I know you have no reason to listen to whatever I have to say. And I have nothing to gain from giving you advice. Just those 3 posts above, will give you more than enough information about the valve drop issue.

You dont want to rush into anything that you will regret. Read up a lot more than you have been. And at least have a conversation with Tony. What do you have to lose other than a $15,000 engine by playing valve drop roulette with the crap heads that the OEM castings are.

ringram (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:21 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Where are you in Europe? Are you a member of BWICC-Europe? There are some good resources in that group.
Old 07-01-2024, 02:24 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,698 Likes on 2,619 Posts

My heads are on their way to Tony Mamo. It's not what he, or I really want to do. We both feel his reworked TFS Stage1 heads are a better long term solution. But going with his TFS setup isn't cheap, and entails rechecking PTV clearance and PR length, etc. Something I really don't want to do at this point in my life. So he's going to rework my LS7 heads, 3rd time. But this time with YT full roller rockers. I don't believe I'd ever run LS7 heads again unless I went full roller rockers. I agree with Dj that the only sure way to improve the situation is to go aftermarket. Ive had 2 of the top head "fixers" rework these heads now, and never gotten more than 25,000 miles out of any one fix. Tony's shop will be the 3rd shop, unless you count G.M., which makes Tony the 4th shop, in just over 50,000 miles!! I know, the definition of insanity!!!
Old 07-01-2024, 04:05 PM
lmfpires
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
Where are you in Europe? Are you a member of BWICC-Europe? There are some good resources in that group.
thanks!
Where can i access that group?
Old 07-01-2024, 04:08 PM
lmfpires
6th Gear

Im currently looking for some options to import to Portugal (my country)

On ebay I can find some fully assembled heads, but they are not AHP, Frankenstein, or any other brand that I know

Im waiting for AHP reply, so i understand what's better for me.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:28 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

thanks!
Where can i access that group?
What is your email. I can pass it to one of the guys to reach out.

its the WhatsApp group for the German American corvette club. In Baden-Württemberg Germany
Old 07-01-2024, 04:30 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

On ebay I can find some fully assembled heads, but they are not AHP, Frankenstein, or any other brand that I know

they will ship overseas:
https://www.proheads.com/Brodix_LS7.html

Old 07-01-2024, 04:46 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Sweden have many speedshops that can do this for you, but off course it would include sending heads by freight and then getting them back, if you can not find a solution otherwise this might be a option.
Market for US cars and support are huge in Sweden, Corvette club is the biggest chapter outside of US and i would say we have at least something like 3-4000 Vettes of all generations and many of them are highly optioned cars, often we have something like 300 cars for sale at any moment.
GermanCorvetteGuy (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 06:31 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,042 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
well, i'm not in Europe, but I'm in Montreal Canada. Still pretty far and another country.
I bought AHP pkg 4 heads. Installation took 2 days at my local Porsche shop (I didn't know anyone else who would be competent at that point)
Then shipped my original cores back to AHP for credit (and claimed back taxes from gov't).
Like you, I didn't want down time.
As chance will have it, I learned afterwards that the originals were only slightly out of spec (10,000km), so maybe they would have lasted...but how long?
I now have 20,000km on the AHP heads and valve train is silent. So, I feel much better having done it and will have them checked again locally (wiggle test) and have the valve springs changed at 50,000km as I do track the car a little, so its normal to do a little maintenance.

Good luck with whatever direction you take
Tommy

PS I have the stock cam/valve train for reliability and longevity.
Thank you for the feedback sir!
Good Stuff

thanks a lot!

Our basic package 4 is what your looking for
I tried to make the website as easy to order off of as possible but if you have any questions just shoot me an email
hp@americanheritageperformance.com

Originally Posted by tommyc6z06
I suggest you email Kohle hp@americanheritageperformance.com
and set up a time to discuss with him directly. Maybe even FaceTime or WhatsApp

If it were me, I'd probably go for the basic package but optioned with the new TiMo intake valves, Ferrea exhaust, PM guides and either new or tested stock beehive springs. But that's just me
Yes sir I am more than happy to discuse options with anyone that want to know.
Ti moly intakes is the way to go if you have the funds but not every one does so if not then reused gm LS7 ti should be fine for the application.

We ship worldwide and have sent heads to Portugal before so we have you covered there sir.
I just sent you an email reply
let me know if you have any questions

Thank You
Kohle

https://americanheritageperformance....cylinder-heads

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to get my heads fixed in Europe

Quick Reply: [Z06] Trying to get my heads fixed in Europe