C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eforce vs Maggie TVS 2300

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Of ALL the hoods I've seen (in photos) this one is my favorite...IMHO it flows the best with the stock (non-widebody) nose.

I really like this one too.

I kind of wish I waited, got this hood and the Whipple. That said, it remains to be seen if the bigger Whipple heat exchanger does a good job controlling the IAT's. It would also be interesting to see if IAT's on an E-Force would be lowered with a little airflow around the top of the blower.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyj
I really like this one too.

I kind of wish I waited, got this hood and the Whipple. That said, it remains to be seen if the bigger Whipple heat exchanger does a good job controlling the IAT's. It would also be interesting to see if IAT's on an E-Force would be lowered with a little airflow around the top of the blower.
That Whipple ain't gonna fit under that hood...unless you bring along a chainsaw!! I haven't seen any photos of the Whipple taken from fender to fender but it has to be standing tall...very tall.

If you want to improve your E-Force IATs....run Water Wetter and distilled water only in the supercharger cooling loop...no antifreeze, trim the radiator baffle to let air in, isolate the air filter from the underhood heat (BeeHive), and run a 160 thermostat. If that doesn't get you wher you want to be then you need to step up to a larger heat exchanger. I found a guy who is willing to build em' but I think he may be too pricey (still working this) and you should consider a higher capacity cooling pump. The Bosch pump moves 5gpm...Mezeire makes one that moves 20gpm.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,880 Likes on 2,098 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

$1,200 for the hood plus shipping, painting, & installation. 2K? It sure does look sweet!.

Elmer
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 972 Posts

That Whipple ain't gonna fit under that hood...unless you bring along a chainsaw!! I haven't seen any photos of the Whipple taken from fender to fender but it has to be standing tall...very tall.

If you want to improve your E-Force IATs....run Water Wetter and distilled water only in the supercharger cooling loop...no antifreeze, trim the radiator baffle to let air in, isolate the air filter from the underhood heat (BeeHive), and run a 160 thermostat. If that doesn't get you wher you want to be then you need to step up to a larger heat exchanger. I found a guy who is willing to build em' but I think he may be too pricey (still working this) and you should consider a higher capacity cooling pump. The Bosch pump moves 5gpm...Mezeire makes one that moves 20gpm.
I've heard, on the truck forums, that a bigger h/e and more flow don't necessarily equate to lower IAT's. The intercooler is the bottle neck at least on the Maggie. It helps a little, but not enough to justify all the trouble and expense. A thick insulating gasket between the blower and lower manifold seems to work. Fly in that ointment is the limited space available vertically on our c6's. I'm good at mid 600's for power. I'll leave the big #'s to those with bigger wallets. I'm still suffeciently thrilled where I am power wise. More power = more broken parts.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

I was wondering wonder how tall the Whipple is, but have not seen any measurements or recommended hoods.

I already have the 160 thermostat / DeWitts rad / fan speed adjustment and have the baffle trimmed. The beehive is not on at the moment, but it will be on soon. I'm already at 70/30 distilled water to A/F. I've used water wetter before in 2 different cars with no measurable improvement. Can't see any of these things making more than a marginal improvement, but I'm hoping the beehive shows some. I might insulate the bottom of it before I put it on.

I have uncoated headers which is probably making it worse.

The overall system water capacity is probably too low, and pumping the hot water around faster probably won't help. I'm starting to think the intercooler end is also too small, particularly with the top of the blower just about against the hood. I do wonder if a higher hood allowing some airflow would help. Maybe I'll take my hood off one day and drive around.

I'd love to have a bigger H/E & bigger tank, but I'd like to see it work before I spent the coin. Same with the chiller setup. I'm not looking to make a pile more power, I just want it to handle what it has better. I would be interested in meth too, but just for safety. I saw on one post that Engand Green may have done an after blower setup for E-Force but have not contacted them yet.

It has not even gotten really hot here yet and I'm seeing sky high numbers just driving home from work and hitting a little traffic with no dipping into the boost.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I was wondering wonder how tall the Whipple is, but have not seen any measurements or recommended hoods.

I already have the 160 thermostat / DeWitts rad / fan speed adjustment and have the baffle trimmed. The beehive is not on at the moment, but it will be on soon. I'm already at 70/30 distilled water to A/F. I've used water wetter before in 2 different cars with no measurable improvement. Can't see any of these things making more than a marginal improvement, but I'm hoping the beehive shows some. I might insulate the bottom of it before I put it on.

I have uncoated headers which is probably making it worse.

The overall system water capacity is probably too low, and pumping the hot water around faster probably won't help. I'm starting to think the intercooler end is also too small, particularly with the top of the blower just about against the hood. I do wonder if a higher hood allowing some airflow would help. Maybe I'll take my hood off one day and drive around.

I'd love to have a bigger H/E & bigger tank, but I'd like to see it work before I spent the coin. Same with the chiller setup. I'm not looking to make a pile more power, I just want it to handle what it has better. I would be interested in meth too, but just for safety. I saw on one post that Engand Green may have done an after blower setup for E-Force but have not contacted them yet.

It has not even gotten really hot here yet and I'm seeing sky high numbers just driving home from work and hitting a little traffic with no dipping into the boost.
At the moment you are drawing hot underhood air to feed the engine. No single one of the items I mentioned above is the "Eureka" answer but the combination of all of them is working for me. The Beehive plus the trimmed shroud will make a difference. You effectively create a CAI system with those two changes. The reality of a supercharged car is at low speeds you simply are not moving much if any air across the heat exchanger/intercooler. This is true of both PD and centri cars. In a perfect world you'd have a heat exchanger with fans to pull air across at low speeds like the Mustang guys are using.

I don't think a vented hood will make much difference....it just looks cool.

Methanol would not help your temps in "off-boost" driving

If you really want a shocker...measure IATs on a bone stock car in traffic or sit still for 5 minutes with a fully warmed up centri on a hot day with the hood shut!

Tell me a little about your daily drive and what temps you are seeing. Are you in stop and go traffic or ???
Old 05-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
They appear to be nearly the same in general design (except that the E-force has longer runners. I'm curious if there's a notable performance difference between the two.
Don't forget you have to spend another $2000 for a finished hood and one extra hood to carry in your Garage if you go Maggie.

If you going with new hood, then go with Whipple, best PD S/C.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
If you going with new hood, then go with Whipple, best PD S/C.
...sorta premature to make that claim isn't it seeing how they haven't even released a C6 kit? Maybe I missed the release info?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 972 Posts

...sorta premature to make that claim isn't it seeing how they haven't even released a C6 kit? Maybe I missed the release info?
It does "look" good though. I wonder how it will look under an a/m hood. Looks to be taller than a Maggie TVS. That means the hoods that will work with the Maggie won't work with the Whipple. Then you get into the "how much is enough" debate. These days folks scoff at 600 wheel like it's a walk in the park to own and maintain. It ain't. The Maggie or EForce can make enough power to shatter most any stock short LS2 or 3. Despite what you read here, not everyone wants 800+ p/d rwhp for their daily driver. Sounds good when you say it real fast though.

Believe it or not, bigger is not necessarily better when you're talking p/d blowers. A 2.3L blower spinning fast enough to make 8psi will out perform a bigger blower spinning slow enough to "only" make 8psi. Sure the bigger blower is capable of numbers that mean you have to upgrade everything from the front bumper to the rear licence plate. For those guys, you have my attention and admiration. I love to read about your exploits, but have no desire to play along.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by old motorhead
It does "look" good though. I wonder how it will look under an a/m hood. Looks to be taller than a Maggie TVS. That means the hoods that will work with the Maggie won't work with the Whipple. Then you get into the "how much is enough" debate. These days folks scoff at 600 wheel like it's a walk in the park to own and maintain. It ain't. The Maggie or EForce can make enough power to shatter most any stock short LS2 or 3. Despite what you read here, not everyone wants 800+ p/d rwhp for their daily driver. Sounds good when you say it real fast though.

Believe it or not, bigger is not necessarily better when you're talking p/d blowers. A 2.3L blower spinning fast enough to make 8psi will out perform a bigger blower spinning slow enough to "only" make 8psi. Sure the bigger blower is capable of numbers that mean you have to upgrade everything from the front bumper to the rear licence plate. For those guys, you have my attention and admiration. I love to read about your exploits, but have no desire to play along.
Yep..it will be interesting
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Justin pretty much did say, that unit is very much like the Camaro unit and I've been watching the success of the Camaro version from day one. Every customer has been super happy. That's my gauge of measuring the Corvette version. Secondly, knowing background of Whipple, I know they release top quality product. They're waiting for some paper work to finalize.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 632 Likes on 347 Posts

Of ALL the hoods I've seen (in photos) this one is my favorite...IMHO it flows the best with the stock (non-widebody) nose.

Originally Posted by old motorhead
That hood does look like it belongs. Is the scoop functional? Price?
That is the sexiest hood I've seen for a C6. Vent is functional.
The price is $1200 from supervettes.
http://www.supervettes.com/ss-vette-...nvertible.html

Wonder if it will fit the maggie.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
wallyj
Burning Brakes

At the moment you are drawing hot underhood air to feed the engine. No single one of the items I mentioned above is the "Eureka" answer but the combination of all of them is working for me. The Beehive plus the trimmed shroud will make a difference. You effectively create a CAI system with those two changes. The reality of a supercharged car is at low speeds you simply are not moving much if any air across the heat exchanger/intercooler. This is true of both PD and centri cars. In a perfect world you'd have a heat exchanger with fans to pull air across at low speeds like the Mustang guys are using.

I don't think a vented hood will make much difference....it just looks cool.

Methanol would not help your temps in "off-boost" driving

If you really want a shocker...measure IATs on a bone stock car in traffic or sit still for 5 minutes with a fully warmed up centri on a hot day with the hood shut!

Tell me a little about your daily drive and what temps you are seeing. Are you in stop and go traffic or ???
Ken, I'll take this to another thread I'll start about IAT's

To the OP, sorry for the hijack!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 632 Likes on 347 Posts

NO worries, I'd be interested to see the IAT thread. With the cooling lines of the E-force kit, i'm curious if one could run this to an additional radiator. It can get pretty hot here in Houston and I like to play
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
NO worries, I'd be interested to see the IAT thread. With the cooling lines of the E-force kit, i'm curious if one could run this to an additional radiator. It can get pretty hot here in Houston and I like to play
I have approached kincaid performance about doing a "killer chiller" setup for the C5/C6 platform, hopefully they will take it up with all the new found PD blower interest in the corvette community and the fact is, they need it. cooling IAT's 50 degrees on the vette systems would be great.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

rgr that. I already have a question for you.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh, yeh... that ZR1 Extreme Hood looks great. Not sure how it would look on a Z06/ZR1/GS with the stock air inlet. Might be too much.

I also like this SV4 hood from Lingenfelter...

Get notified of new replies

To Eforce vs Maggie TVS 2300

Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Oh, yeh... that ZR1 Extreme Hood looks great. Not sure how it would look on a Z06/ZR1/GS with the stock air inlet. Might be too much.

I also like this SV4 hood from Lingenfelter...

SV4 is nice but is not vented at the rear/cowl

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 05-05-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Mike,

When you start that thread please post up your "IAT sensor cal" info.

ken
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

SV4 is nice but is not vented at the rear/cowl

I'm finding out if the MFG would install a large vent in the rear of the hood. I would think it's a pretty easy job and if done right would not compromise structural integrity... If they would then this hood would be about perfect for exhausting hot air while looking pretty sexy!!

Quick Reply: Eforce vs Maggie TVS 2300