C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablo Predator Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:27 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diablo Predator Programmer

Hello everyone. I'm new here and had a question. I will be purchasing an 06 C6 within the next week. I'm looking either for a MN6 or maybe considering the A6. I'm going to stay conservative with this car. I'm coming from a highly modded fwd turbo car that just became too powerfull to maintain daily driving reliability. I will not ne making the same mistake with this car. I'm looking at minor stuff like a CAI, 160* stat, and maybe an underdrive pulley for now. One thing I would like would be some sort of tuner or programmer that wont void the warranty and/or can be put back to stock for any service. I was looking at the Diablo Predator Programmer. Is this worth the money and will I have any problems with it? Is there a noticable power gain from this? I'll search around a little more but I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:26 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k0bun
Hello everyone. I'm new here and had a question. I will be purchasing an 06 C6 within the next week. I'm looking either for a MN6 or maybe considering the A6. I'm going to stay conservative with this car. I'm coming from a highly modded fwd turbo car that just became too powerfull to maintain daily driving reliability. I will not ne making the same mistake with this car. I'm looking at minor stuff like a CAI, 160* stat, and maybe an underdrive pulley for now. One thing I would like would be some sort of tuner or programmer that wont void the warranty and/or can be put back to stock for any service. I was looking at the Diablo Predator Programmer. Is this worth the money and will I have any problems with it? Is there a noticable power gain from this? I'll search around a little more but I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.
The Diablo Predator Programmer would be a good tuning tool, but Diablo's support of the programming is very limited, the documentation is poor, and tech support, while very good, is only available during normal working hours. Several forum members report after dyno'ing the Diablo Predator tune they either lost HP or stayed the same. My SOTP dyno meter supports this finding. I use the factory tune to adjust WOT, turn off GAGS, raise the rev limiter etc etc. Diablo has Private Tuners that will tune by email.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:50 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
The Diablo Predator Programmer would be a good tuning tool, but Diablo's support of the programming is very limited, the documentation is poor, and tech support, while very good, is only available during normal working hours. Several forum members report after dyno'ing the Diablo Predator tune they either lost HP or stayed the same. My SOTP dyno meter supports this finding. I use the factory tune to adjust WOT, turn off GAGS, raise the rev limiter etc etc. Diablo has Private Tuners that will tune by email.
Wow. Glad I asked. Is there a better programmer available? Something that will give me gains and allow me to return to stock if need be? Does Hypertech or Power/Superchips make anything? I know they're pretty popular in the truck community.

Mainly I'm looking to remove the CAGS and the TM. For $399 though I'd also like to say that I gained a few ponies with it not lost any.

What are good websites and vendors to take a look at?
Thanks

Last edited by k0bun; 05-22-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 AM
JohngC62005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All in all the Predator is not bad, if you know how to tune a car.
You CANNOT rely on thier performance tune. You must take there stock HP tune and after reviewing some of your real time data, make adjustment as needed. ie fuel and timing. The stock HP tune removes TM. Where you run into problems is not being able to fine tune fuel values, but you can get very close and yes make HP. When setting fuel there is no better way than wideband o2 sitting on a dyno, but the Predator is a good plan B again if you know basic tuning. There were many posts in the tune section going over the do's and don'ts, a must read if you are thinking about tuning with the Predator.

Footnote:
I only made a few HP more with a dyno tune than I did with my Predator that I spent weeks making. The big difference was that the dyno tune got the fuel ratio right at 13/1 across the entire RPM band not waving all over the place.

Hope this helps.........

Last edited by JohngC62005; 05-22-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Thanks JohnG. The problem is I don't want to tune anymore. I'm sick of tuning. That's all I ever did with my previous car. And I'm not that good at it anyway. I was hoping to just download a decent tune from a good company and be done with it. Just enjoy driving. I guess that's not possible. Any other good programmers out there?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

There was a Fourm vendor that was doing custom turning on the Predator, But not sure which one, You just give him what you have done to the car and he updates the Predator before he ship it to you and just down load it to your car
Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjd113
There was a Fourm vendor that was doing custom turning on the Predator, But not sure which one, You just give him what you have done to the car and he updates the Predator before he ship it to you and just down load it to your car
Well there we go. That's something I can deal with. Damnit! Who was it?!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks JohnG. The problem is I don't want to tune anymore. I'm sick of tuning. That's all I ever did with my previous car. And I'm not that good at it anyway. I was hoping to just download a decent tune from a good company and be done with it. Just enjoy driving. I guess that's not possible. Any other good programmers out there?
Another option is to do something like the halltech mail order tune. There are lots of outfits offering this type of thing in slightly different ways. In some you buy the software and they do the tune based on your mods and then your free to make changes and revert to stock. Others exchange the pcm. This keeps you from having to buy the software but you cant fiddle with it or revert to stock. Some offer a couple free updates. This might be an option worth exploring if your of a mind.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:41 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

I'll check out Halltech too. First thing I have to do is get the car. But I want to be as informed as I can before I start playing with things. Simple and reliable is all I'm looking for at this point. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:51 PM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

The vendor was Running With the Devil Products (RWDP), there is a second but I can not find him
Old 05-22-2006, 05:48 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. I still have a lot of searching and deciding to do. Has anyone had a good experience with the Diablo Performance Program? Is it really that bad?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:40 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Has anyone had a good experience with the Diablo Performance Tune? Is it really that bad?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:24 PM
VetteNo2
Racer

Has anyone had a good experience with the Diablo Performance Tune? Is it really that bad?
You might search threads until you come to a big one in which "MickeyC6" (or something like that) posted very good results and an excellent discussion on how to use the tool and what it actually does.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Well there we go. That's something I can deal with. Damnit! Who was it?!
Jeremy Formato(Fasterproms) is offering a predator tune now. He is considered one of the best. I prefer a live dydno tune.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM
tjd113
Burning Brakes

I just pick one up new on ebay for 325.00 going to give it a try, wish me luck
Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
05_C6Z51
Pro

My experiemce with that vendor is they suck. Also, some folks lost power with the Predator tune. For a few more dollars. better off with dyno tune.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 AM
05_C6Z51
Pro

My experiemce with that vendor is they suck. Also, some folks lost power with the Predator tune. For a few more dollars. better off with dyno tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Diablo Predator Programmer

Quick Reply: Diablo Predator Programmer