C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible bent shifter forks or linkage...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible bent shifter forks or linkage...need some help

Reverse had been getting very notchy, even shifting into the forward gears before going into Reverse didn't help. It wasn't grinding, it was just wouldn't go into gear.

So finally last Friday, I shifted into reverse doing my usual 1-2-3-4 and back until it finally went in to reverse. Then as I attempted to shift to 1st it wouldn't cross the 3-4 gate. It literally would not budge to the left. I could only go into 5th & 6th. I tried double clutching, etc... Finally I was able to get it across the 3-4 gate but at that point I knew something either broke or bent.

I was able to drive home as shifting from 1-2-3-4 was still usable but incredibly stiff now and shifting to 5th was doable, but getting back down to the other gears was next to impossible

The Parts Mgr and I think it is either bent shifter forks or linkage or both

I know that means they have may have to take the torque tube out, etc...

A few questions:
1. Has anyone else had this happen? I don't drag race but I do like canyon carving and I would also like to start doing some HPDE track days. I don't shift hard or fast or at least I don't think I do

2. While they are working on this, is there anything else I should have them replace or upgrade to make shifting a little more bullet proof?

3. Can anyone point me to a link showing an exploded view of what they will be working on? I would like to see just actually what might have bent. I like working on my car and this is an area I don't have any experience with, yet
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

check the 'clamp'

i'll get you a pic. in a sec.

edit:

here's the pic. and a thread that may be helpful.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...+shifter+clamp

i grabbed this pic from lager99's hurst install thread.
the clamp is that southmost hex bolt. the one on the bottom edge of the pic.

Last edited by Zig; 05-08-2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: add pic and additional info.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 511 Likes on 274 Posts

On my 2006 after 7 perfect passes at my local drag strip I noticed getting in to 3rd was becoming difficult, even during normall driving.

But, I just thought it was me and after my 25th pass I had missed 3rd at least 1 out of every 3 passes after the first 7 passes.

I new something was up.

3rd was getting weird even during normal driving unless I shifted sloe.

Then, on my 26th pass at the strip I purposely shifted slopw and deliberate from 2nd to 3rd and all heck broke loose.
It was said to be a Bent shifter fork and might not covered by warranty due to headers.

The car went back to stock and was fixed under warranty and traded in to a local dealer. Sort of a package deal.
Now you know why I have a 2007 with the A6 tranny

Howard

Get notified of new replies

To Possible bent shifter forks or linkage...need some help

Quick Reply: Possible bent shifter forks or linkage...need some help