C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So many of you dont understand STILL that we arent talking about the stock exhaust sound, lol.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 AM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default exh sound

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
No, the sonud is NOT in the vette...the c5 and c6 corvettes sound like pure *** no matter what you do to them compared to other applications.

It will always sound more high-toned that I would like and wont have the deep throaty tone of other V8s....it's a fact I've had to deal with.

I went with borla stingers....eh, it's the best we've got for a good sound.

And yes, I've heard plenty of cammed C6s at the track....still dont sound as good as I would like.

My dad and I literally thought a dirtbike was blasting by us on the road one day...turned out it was a cammed C6 (puke)
What I ment was there is more or at least different sound available from our LS2 and LS3, that said, it may not be what you are accustomed to ,or desire, but that is the nature of the firing order.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by REVAK
it may not be what you are accustomed to ,or desire, but that is the nature of the firing order.
As has already been posted in this same thread, post #28...

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That reasoning may fly...except that the LSx engines in trucks, FWD Grand Prix GXP and Mote Carlo SS, and ESPECIALLY the LS2 GTO...all sound great.

In addition to the same firing order, the LS2 in the GTO even has the same exhaust manifolds and also has dual exhaust. Yet it sounds way, WAY better.
All the above mentioned vehicles also have the same firing order. I left out F-bods that came w/LS1's. They sound pretty decent too. Same firing order.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-22-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,328 Posts

So many of you dont understand STILL that we arent talking about the stock exhaust sound, lol.
That's right. I'm not "harshing" on the 'Vettes exhaust because it's quite. You can have quite exhaust that still has muscular and melodeous undertones. Again, examples of this are the above mentioned GXP, stock Mustangs, Audi S4 (V-8's), late HEMI's and more.

What I'm talking about here (and it seems about 1/3 of the folks on this thread get it) is the character and quality of the sound. Again, after market systems mostly only make the stock sound...louder. There isn't much change (if any) in the character or quality. It just ends up being a louder, dead-pan, lame sound when compared to other applications.

I REALLY wish a "tuner" would post the approximate ignition timing at idle which would help me w/my theory.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with you 100% Tom. I have had the hardest time finding a combination that I'm completely happy with. I've tried GHL's, Bullets, and Corsa Sports all with LG headers. While obviously the sound has much improved, the quality of the tone could definitely be improved.

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?i...gnaflowxn2.flv

I was listening to this 03 Cobra with Kooks LT's and a Magnaflow cat-back and the sound is absolutely intoxicating. I would love to be able to achieve that sound but I believe its a no win battle.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Late model mustangs like the 03 cobra sound AMAZING with longtubes and freeflowing mufflers.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Late model mustangs like the 03 cobra sound AMAZING with longtubes and freeflowing mufflers.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
VetteNo2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I saw a new Pontiac GXP V-8. That's the 5.3 liter, LSsomething engine.

It was idleing at a curb. It sounds way WAY better than any C6 'Vette I've ever heard. This annoys me. Why is the 'Vette the application in which a Gen III V-8 Sounds the worst??

I need to start fabricating to solve this mystery.

-Tom
I had to laugh when I saw this! The best sounding car in my neighborhood is the warmed-over Mustang. My head/cam Vette would annhilate it in any lind of performance contest but it will never sound as good.

Last edited by VetteNo2; 02-22-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

All the above mentioned vehicles also have the same firing order. I left out F-bods that came w/LS1's. They sound pretty decent too. Same firing order.[/QUOTE]

My friend had a LS2 GTO with shorty headers, x-pipe and Borla XR1 mufflers and his car sounded amazing. It sounded a little exotic but still maintained that muscle car sound. It was the perfect blend IMO and all this with no DRONE.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:46 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteNo2
I had to laugh when I saw this! The best sounding car in my neiborhood is the warmed-over Mustang. My head/cam Vette would annhilate it in any lind of performance contest but it will never sound as good.
If your referring to the 03 Cobra above it is a Kenne Bell with over 600rwhp so it would definitely hold its own.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

I just think it was a major blunder that they finally addressed with the NPP option.

I went from F-bodies, GTO's, C5Z's ... all awesome factory exhaust to a C6 and on my first drive cussed out whatever brainless nimrod chose the exhaust for the C6. The only thing I could think is that person must have stock in a catback company.

The Camaro better have a nice rumble or the performance team needs a major shake up.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michrider
I just think it was a major blunder that they finally addressed with the NPP option.

I went from F-bodies, GTO's, C5Z's ... all awesome factory exhaust to a C6 and on my first drive cussed out whatever brainless nimrod chose the exhaust for the C6. The only thing I could think is that person must have stock in a catback company.

The Camaro better have a nice rumble or the performance team needs a major shake up.

Ah...another person who doesnt understand what we're saying in this thread, lol. We're not talking abuot the stock exhaust!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 PM
VetteNo2
Racer

Originally Posted by TaylorMade
If your referring to the 03 Cobra above it is a Kenne Bell with over 600rwhp so it would definitely hold its own.
Thankfully, that is not my neighborhood Mustang! I'll bet it sounds good, though.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 PM
TaylorMade
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteNo2
Thankfully, that is not my neighborhood Mustang! I'll bet it sounds good, though.
Judging by your mods, I'm sure he's happy your not the neighborhood vette Thats an awesome setup you have
Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 PM
LMBC6Brian
Pro

Originally Posted by jcosta79
GAWD, that sound awesome....!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM
TroutfishinEMT
Safety Car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=boat+motor.

It's the firing order. I have Bullets now and love them. True, they don't change the NOTE at idle at all, but at WOT or even half way under load, they sound incredible.

And yes, they drone. They are much louder in the cabin than the stock cans... and worth every decibel.

Some interesting thoughts on here about advancing the timing. Don't know how it would work, but still - yeah, basically it's the firing order, I think.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 PM
TroutfishinEMT
Safety Car

http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey....a.asp?file=208

Get notified of new replies

To Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Old 02-22-2008, 09:26 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

That reasoning may fly...except that the LSx engines in trucks, FWD Grand Prix GXP and Mote Carlo SS, and ESPECIALLY the LS2 GTO...all sound great.

The LS2 in the GTO even has the same exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. But sounds way, WAY better.
I've noticed that too. I believe the firing order must have had some effect. But I think it must also have something to do with the Vette's cabin design. C5 has the very same issues. I don't know if it's because of the balsa wood floor pans and lack of sound insulation but the C5 and C6's definitely suck in the exhaust note category.

My theory is that with the other platforms (SUV's trucks', Monte C's) they can tune the mufflers to a lower note that sounds good. But with C5's and C6's (maybe due to the balsa wood floor pans, light weight, lack of sound deadening material) , a muffler tuned to low frequency results in resonance. That's why all of the aftermarket C5 & C6 muffs, except Corsa, have resonance. The only way to eliminate the resonance in Corvettes is with a high pitched (Corsa) exhaust note.

I followed this topic very closely for years when I had a C5. Nothing but Corsa eliminates the resonance. But the trade off, is you get a high ("exotic") note. BTW - I love my NPP on my C6. It's the closest thing to the best of both worlds. It's worth every overpriced penny I paid for it.

Now for a great sound - I like to stand behind my '79 Camaro with it's 110 LSA cam, edelbrock heads, hooker headers, and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system It sounds great- but the C6 is much more fun to drive !!

Last edited by need-for-speed; 02-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Because those won't change the character and quality of the sound. Just the volume.

Loud is not the same thing as the low frequency thump thump of an old school high compression SBC with headers.

But I have to admit, the newer ones are much more fun to drive. If we could just get the best of both !!!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After I got mine, I was happy as a clam, but real disappointed in the exhaust sound. I had only about 300 miles on the car when I put on the Corsa Sport muffler system because I was told it would really help get rid of that European sound (I'm definately not a fan of that sound). They lied, granted it's better, but not even close to what I think a Corvette should sound like...especially with a number of mods and I'm still disappointed (in the sound only).

Quick Reply: Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...