C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 Degree Thermostat LS3 Void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wooden
I installed an ecs supercharger and forged 416, and a 160 stat. I am going to get it tuned tuesday will that void my warranty.

Good for you but dont lose hope...you still may have your bumper to bumper.

Originally Posted by GMautotech
"It's just the powertrain warranty that's void with a tune, not the bumper-to-bumper. It's GM's rules, if you don't want to play by them then that's your gamble. It seems pretty simple to me, GM says that any non-GM calibration can void your powertrain warranty. GM is not chasing down every aftermarket tune they can find. It's only when a major part fails (engine trans). This is from a GM bullletin...

"If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed."
Old 06-28-2009, 12:10 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty cut and dry; do you want warranty or do you want mods, can't have both, so pull your crying head out of your bowl of soup and make an executive decision. Which ever way you go, hope you enjoy it.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapcomp
If you put a 160 Degree Thermostat in your ls3 vette does it void the warranty? Is it even worth doing? What is the best one to buy?
This warranty thing has been hammered to death lately. IMHO if you're worried about the warranty do not mod your car and a stat won't give you any hp or anything. Some say it's better cooler, some??????? Which is it???? Now if you're not afraid of the warranty, then go for it. Heads, cam, long tube headers, cai, gears and whatever else make you happy. I took my Vette in for an oil change a couple of weeks ago, and the tech is well know to me, and I mentioned all this chatter on warranties and asked if my car was still covered? Help laughed so hard he almost wet his pants. We had a good laugh. I have all the mods mentioned above, the Corsa Sports are very loud with the h/c and headers, it has an obvious lope, kinda like a not so stock car, and it has a minor shake in addition to the noise. If I blow a tranny you better believe I'm the one going to pay for it. I wouldn't even try to bs them as that would make me an obvious liar. An that I am not. My advice is forget the stat until you do some serious modding.

Last edited by BOB EAGAN; 06-28-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnodrake
If you are worried about a warranty, leave it stock. That is not to say that every mod will void your warranty - just the parts that they affect. But you never know when GM or a dealer will decide to make an issue out of something.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:49 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I think my crank is original. Is the warranty still good?

I love when the 'keep it stock' guys come in this section to say not to mod. I removed my heads 72 hours after buying the car. I wouldnt let a GM mechanic touch this car if the engine and trans seized on the second day. I would have sent the trans in to RPM for a lev 4 and I would build a stroker.

160 stat? Yes and tune it too.

I went in for service on the heated seat 2 weeks after getting the car. It had nitrous, headers, cam, ported heads, a FAST manifold, and they still fixed it under warranty. They all crowded around to see what I did to the new C6 then did the work.....tune and all. The tech2 did not detect any tune and they didnt say anything about my tapping into the electrical system.

Find a dealer that knows the deal or admit you cant afford to mod.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 AM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

Spin: Stock crank, I like that. Last year my a/c went out. Had a leaking seal and lost it's charge. Dealer fixed it under warranty, no problem. The mechanics were quite impressed with my car, yours being I think 250 rwhp more than mine, your mechanics must have been awed. Dealers will honor claims within reason on modded cars.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 AM
cecil 07
Instructor

Default ...

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! I am getting SO tired of these threads that seem to pop up EVERY few months! DO A SEARCH!

FACT: a 160 thermo, with no other changes to the ECM, will usually result in highway temps around 170. This is NOT too cool for the engine, will NOT affect emissions or gas mileage, and will NOT void your warranty.

FACT: Adjusting the fan settings, in combination with the 160 thermo, will help stabilize coolant temps in stop & go driving, should have little to no effect on highway cruising temps.

FACT: The 160 thermo will not improve performance all by itself. What it will do is prevent timing being pulled by the ECM when coolant temps exceed 195 degrees. This is especially helpful at the track, and on very hot days.

I have a Lingenfelter thermo, and it works perfectly. I tested it beforehand in a pot of heated coolant, using a digital thermometer. When doing this test, you will notice that the thermo doesn't just pop wide open at 160 degrees, it starts to open very gradually, and at the 170 degree cruising temp, it is only partially open. This is what allows the temps to stay stable. In stop & go driving, airflow to the radiator is reduced, and the thermostat will open wider as the coolant gets hotter.

Sorry to get on a rant here, but I must have posted 25-30 times on this subject, in dozens of threads. All the facts I quoted have been proven over and over again. All the top performance tuners install them along with almost any performance mod.

In my opinion, this is not a worthwhile mod unless you are looking for optimal performance at the track, or if you routinely do a lot of stop & go driving in very hot weather.

couldn't have said it better.. almost like you done it a few times....
Old 06-28-2009, 01:33 PM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Lapcomp
If you put a 160 Degree Thermostat in your ls3 vette does it void the warranty? Is it even worth doing? What is the best one to buy?

Technically, anything you do to the car can give GM ammunition to give you a hard time if you grenaded your engine.

However,,,,,

I was recently in my dealership getting an oil change. I was talking to the SW about these exact issues and debates. He basically started laughing about the paranoia going around about CAI and T-Stats. For as long as he has been there, they have not voided anyone's warranty over a CAI or T-Stat.

Do your due-diligence. Inquire as to a local dealership in your area that is CAI TSTAT friendly.

Keep in mind however that a 160 T-Stat will only allow lower operating temps when on highway or a constant flow of air is rushing through your radiator. If you are in stop and go traffic or standing still, the 160 will not make a difference over the 187. To get the full benefits you would need a PCM update. You can PM me and I will give you some details on how that works.

The CAI will show improvement. There is a variety to choose from. IMHO the one that will give you the best IAT is the VARARAM. That said there are numerous posts thrashing the quality of this unit. The design does work at getting cold air into the TB instead of sucking heated air from the engine compartment.

BEWARE,, if you decide to drive your car through a lake with the Vararam you will have problems.

There are others which have much better quality and fit. There is plenty of info on CF for you to make a decision. A PCM tune is not required for the CAI.

In regards to having your warranty void for a 160 tsat or any after market tsat, I did a search of the C6 section and could not find one person that had a warranty voided only because of a T-Stat change.

Enjoy you car

Old 06-28-2009, 02:20 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

I love when the 'keep it stock' guys come in this section to say not to mod. I removed my heads 72 hours after buying the car. I wouldnt let a GM mechanic touch this car if the engine and trans seized on the second day. I would have sent the trans in to RPM for a lev 4 and I would build a stroker.

I went in for service on the heated seat 2 weeks after getting the car. It had nitrous, headers, cam, ported heads, a FAST manifold, and they still fixed it under warranty. They all crowded around to see what I did to the new C6 then did the work.....tune and all. The tech2 did not detect any tune and they didnt say anything about my tapping into the electrical system.

I had a tune, headers, ported intake/tb and CAI on my 2006 C6. I took it to the dealer for clutch pack replacement, leaking oil pan gasket, roof replacemet, idler pulley replacement, and a few other things. The only thing I ever heard from them was "gee nice headers, the fitment is excellent". I haven't modded my Z06, but in the future if I feel the need for more power I wouldn't hesitate to put headers on and get it tuned.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The installation of a 160* thermostat will kill the motor immediately, DON'T do it.
I've even seen the motor let go before the coolant tanks were filled and before the car was even restarted for the first time!
Yeah, it's true.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,284 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
a proper working 160 thermo will yield around 180 degree coolant temps.
A 160 stat works great if you have the PCM tuned for it. Under typical conditions the car will run about 180 to 185. Yesterday with an outside air temp of about 104 the car ran 190 to 195 on the interstatecomming home from an all Corvette show. When I used to drive the car with the OEM stat in parades during the summer it would run 225 to 230 and would really make me nervous. Now it runs about 190, no problem.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:22 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,284 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Then you sue gm and win for them not proving the tune caused the failure. Quit with your scare tactics quicksilver. It isn't that cut and dry at all.
If your power-window motor fails they will not void you warranty becuase you have a 160 stat.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Originally Posted by cecil 07
couldn't have said it better.. almost like you done it a few times....
Maybe 20 or so.....

Some topics never die. That's all right, it's all good.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 AM
steppindown
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sigh

OK. I cannot believe the number of people who don't understand that jacking around with a car can cause a warranty problem.

If you built a building with an underground garage, and warranted it to the buyer to be structurally sound, you and the buyer have a contract.

2 years down the road, the buyer decides that he can make the garage "more efficient" by removing some support beams to open up additional parking spaces. The building still stands, but is under a lot more stress.

6 months later, the building collapses because of the buyer's "mods". Who's fault is it?

It's the same friggin thing people. If you change the structure or manner of operation of your car, and a failure occurs, it is not the manufacturers problem.

And on the subject that another poster brought up regarding suing, Chrysler has already announced (and I am sure that Government Motors will follow) that they will not be liable for any product liability for vehicles manufactured by the "old" company. So any poor soul who bought one is screwed. If the brakes fail, you get to file your claim in Bankruptcy Court. Good Luck.

And to all of us who own a Corvette manufactured before the "old" GM filed, be very careful of what you think that you can get the manufacturer to buy.

Last edited by steppindown; 07-17-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! I am getting SO tired of these threads that seem to pop up EVERY few months! DO A SEARCH!

Yeah....they do pop up weekly, but you have to consider that most of the guys are new and it takes a little while to learn all the places that you can go on the forum. I know, I was here a while before I read something about the 'search'. Never knew it was there, and then again, sometimes it does not work very well. Although, I would think it should be a lot on this particular subject.
Larry

Last edited by lebvette; 07-17-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:01 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default To play devils advocate!

On a NON Corvette when I was younger, I put a 160* thermostat in a car and it cooled the engine very well during the summer; BUT during the winter in cold areas, it COOLED my feet. During the winter, you will get cold feet and the woman will definitely not like it, maybe you too. I put the warmer thermo back in, it just depends on what you want to accomplish!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 AM
lockshed
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

Spin, respect all you add to the board. But what about a situation where when you modded it, you could afford it, but because the economy is **** poor, now it is borderline affordable? That may be the case with some, at least me, unless I tap my 401k LOL>

Get notified of new replies

To 160 Degree Thermostat LS3 Void Warranty?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:57 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
On a NON Corvette when I was younger, I put a 160* thermostat in a car and it cooled the engine very well during the summer; BUT during the winter in cold areas, it COOLED my feet. During the winter, you will get cold feet and the woman will definitely not like it, maybe you too. I put the warmer thermo back in, it just depends on what you want to accomplish!
On a NON-Corvette, and when you were younger, and when you put it in A car, might be so.

In today's C5 or C6, none of the above is true. I am toasty warm on even the coldest winter days. Cruising temps are 178-180 year-round.

As for the other thread about the warranty from Steppindown, I have never heard anyone post that they had a warranty problem from an aftermarket thermostat. Since I have seen (and posted in) dozens of threads on this topic, I deem in to be extremely unlikely.

As Spin said, if you're that worried about warranty issues, DON'T DO ANY MODS!

BTW, I would assume that those who mistakenly choose to swap out their radiator for an aftermarket unit would also (theoretically) run into the same risk of warranty issues.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Jimmyz28
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Mr. Gasket makes a 180* stat that works great and lowers the temps around 10-12* below stock. Will not mess with the PCM AFAIK.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 AM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
a proper working 160 thermo will yield around 180 degree coolant temps.
Which is too cool for the LS3 and it will increase engine wear.

Quick Reply: 160 Degree Thermostat LS3 Void Warranty?