C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 Degree Thermostat LS3 Void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez! I am getting SO tired of these threads that seem to pop up EVERY few months! DO A SEARCH!

FACT: a 160 thermo, with no other changes to the ECM, will usually result in highway temps around 180. This is NOT too cool for the engine, will NOT affect emissions or gas mileage, and will NOT void your warranty.

FACT: Adjusting the fan settings, in combination with the 160 thermo, will help stabilize coolant temps in stop & go driving, should have little to no effect on highway cruising temps.

FACT: The 160 thermo will not improve performance all by itself. What it will do is prevent timing being pulled by the ECM when coolant temps exceed 195 degrees. This is especially helpful at the track, and on very hot days.

I have a Lingenfelter thermo, and it works perfectly. I tested it beforehand in a pot of heated coolant, using a digital thermometer. When doing this test, you will notice that the thermo doesn't just pop wide open at 160 degrees, it starts to open very gradually, and at the 180 degree cruising temp, it is only partially open. This is what allows the temps to stay stable. In stop & go driving, airflow to the radiator is reduced, and the thermostat will open wider as the coolant gets hotter.

Sorry to get on a rant here, but I must have posted 25-30 times on this subject, in dozens of threads. All the facts I quoted have been proven over and over again. All the top performance tuners install them along with almost any performance mod.

In my opinion, this is not a worthwhile mod unless you are looking for optimal performance at the track, or if you routinely do a lot of stop & go driving in very hot weather.

...............nice to see educated posts here..........
Old 08-22-2014, 08:04 PM
sampson104
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpstar
Drove streets of willow in Rosamond Ca. Last weekend. Ambient temps were 105.....(HOT). I have a 2011 c6 ls3 with large Dewitt rad, zo6 engine oil cooler and a BW tranny in line cooler and zo6 steering ooo let. Oil and coolant got up to about 260 after 10 lap runs. This track is short and has 12 turns. Is this a good example of needing a 160 thermostat? Real hard driving in real hot ambient temps.
260 would have scared me to death. I'm seeing 237 ish coolant and 225 oil temp which I think is causing lower than normal oil pressure ~30psi on short track days. Once I do some cool down laps oil and coolant temps come right down to 218-221 range for coolant and once oil cools down psi rises back up towards 50. I think I'm running hot and need a lower tstat. I have VR air intake, headers and full exhaust... I'd like to see my temps running closer to 190-200. Stop and go traffic I'm seeing 225 sometimes which just alarms me somewhat.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 222 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

You all know this is a 5 year old thread, right?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 PM
sampson104
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
You all know this is a 5 year old thread, right?

I searched 160 thermostat and read the entire thing, having old threads is a plus when researching something. Right?

Quick Reply: 160 Degree Thermostat LS3 Void Warranty?