C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest Bang for your buck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
alexdogwood
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest Bang for your buck?

I have an 07 C6 automatic. Right now it has a K&N intake and Flow master exhaust. What can i do next to give it a reasonable HP boost for a reasonable price? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Biggest bang for your buck is a torque converter...bar none, but it wont show any horsepower increase.

The next "horsepower" step I would take would be to look at a set of longtubes and a tune (texas speed has a very reasonably priced set of longtubes).
Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Hey Matt,

How do you like the flowmaster sound. I have a 2007 C6 Auto also. I have not heard any aftermarket exhaust systems to compare yet. I have flowmaster on my Hemi truck and had it on my 2001 Trans Am. (LS1)
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Long tubes and or Tune would be my suggestion.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas
Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettes of Dallas - Parts

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas

Save the converter swap for down the road after you've increased HP and can match the stall speed to the current power level.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM
alexdogwood
Heel & Toe

I do like the Flowmaster sound. It has a nice deep (bass) growl. Kind of relaxes you when you are driving. It is not obnoxious so if you want something loud I would not suggest them. Hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
alexdogwood
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Corvettes of Dallas - Parts

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas
I do have a question from what I was reading the long tubes would bolt right on to the Flowmaster exhaust I already have? What other modifications would need to be made once the install is complete? Does anything have to be done with the computer?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Do a search!!
I have a stall converter, Yank ss3600, I wish I would have installed one before I did
everything else!!!!
they helped a lot off stock engine guys improve their 60ft times and 1/4 times and still
drives stock!!!
I have a lot of mods now, and can tell you that I was impressed with the stall converter
more than the rest.
IMHO it is the Best BANG for the Buck!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Austin from AZ
Cruising

i agree. a torque converter will see gains on the strip and random people walking up to it won't know it has one in it.(they'll just see intake and exhaust and go "oh it should run XX.xx) when it will go much faster. same effect happens with a tune, but i suggest getting headers before that.

then when you make power and start spinning off the line get some new sticky tires. second biggest bang/buck imo
Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

a nitrous kit.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BartonekDragRacing
a nitrous kit.
That would be my next suggestion...if I had only three mods to do it would be Converter, Nitrous and Drag radials....bam, low 11s (I'm of course assuming a tune....)

I've got a full kit and a couple bottles laying aroudn from racing my firebird...maybe someday I'll put it all on the vette

Nothing beats 125 (safe) horsepower for ~600 bucks.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 AM
bent
Burning Brakes

Spinfast intake (FAST 92) gives unbeliveable top end power and costs half of what a good set of headers do.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 AM
LARRY BENNETT
8th Gear

Default Flowmaster mufflers

I have a 2005 Corvette coupe and have been thinking about changing to Flowmasters. I have 50 series Flowmasters in my streetrod with a 2002 Ls1 engine. I love the sound but the interior is fairly loud. On a scale of 1-10, I would say about a 4-5. With the Corvette's mufflers being farther to the rear, I would think it might have less drone or interior sound. What is your opinion of the interior sound? Thanks for you help.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LARRY BENNETT
I have a 2005 Corvette coupe and u have been thinking about changing to Flowmasters. I have 50 series Flowmasters in my streetrod with a 2002 Ls1 engine. I love the sound but the interior is fairly loud. On a scale of 1-10, I would say about a 4-5. With the Corvette's mufflers being farther to the rear, I would think it might have less drone or interior sound. What is your opinion of the interior sound? Thanks for you help.
Well, I'm sure your streetrod's interior might have less sound detonating materiel compared to your C6. Granted the earlier C6's were the loudest/hottest of the bunch.

So, that being said, If you goal is to have NO/Minimal drone, Corsa exhaust would be my suggestion. The Corsa and Flomaster mufflers are very similar internally.

I use Corsa's on my C6 and I love it!

PM Sent

-Adam
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by alexdogwood
I have an 07 C6 automatic. Right now it has a K&N intake and Flow master exhaust. What can i do next to give it a reasonable HP boost for a reasonable price? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Matt

Give Chuck from CoW a call. Get a tune and some 3.42 gears!! I had him tune my 08 A6 Pace Car and made a huge difference!! My next mod will be to add the 3.42 gears....

Mark

Last edited by 08VRZ06; 08-27-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,271 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
Save the converter swap for down the road after you've increased HP and can match the stall speed to the current power level.
No need to wait.
The optimal converter stall speed with the stock cam is already up around 4000 rpm. No mods will move that lower and a big cam would only serve to raise it. The only limits on making a converter your first mod is if there is a decent probability of significant FI mods (e.g. nitrous > 125 or boost > 8lbs). Even then there are FI converters that will still produce nice NA gains.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 08-27-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
DAL01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy272
Matt

Give Chuck from CoW a call. Get a tune and some 3.42 gears!! I had him tune my 08 A6 Pace Car and made a huge difference!! My mod will be to add the 3.42 gears....

Mark
i agree.. i have always thought that gears are the best bang for the buck. however i would opt for a 3.90 or 4.10. it will not add any HP but you will love it and you will wish all your future mods made the car feel that much differennt.

Get notified of new replies

To Biggest Bang for your buck?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by alexdogwood
I do have a question from what I was reading the long tubes would bolt right on to the Flowmaster exhaust I already have? What other modifications would need to be made once the install is complete? Does anything have to be done with the computer?
I'm guessing you have the flowmasters connected to the stock H-pipe?

Are you planning on getting Long tubes + X-pipe?

Do you have stock flanges still?

If you decided to go with a race set up, NO-cats, then you will need some tuning.

Either way, I would recommend tuning it after the header install. Since more air will be leaving the engine, you will want to adjust the A/F ratio accordingly.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.

I'm a PM away.

Thanks

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas

Last edited by Corvettes of Dallas - Parts; 08-28-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:35 PM
SL33PER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmj341
Do a search!!
I have a stall converter, Yank ss3600, I wish I would have installed one before I did
everything else!!!!
they helped a lot off stock engine guys improve their 60ft times and 1/4 times and still
drives stock!!!
I have a lot of mods now, and can tell you that I was impressed with the stall converter
more than the rest.
IMHO it is the Best BANG for the Buck!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM
alexdogwood
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LARRY BENNETT
I have a 2005 Corvette coupe and have been thinking about changing to Flowmasters. I have 50 series Flowmasters in my streetrod with a 2002 Ls1 engine. I love the sound but the interior is fairly loud. On a scale of 1-10, I would say about a 4-5. With the Corvette's mufflers being farther to the rear, I would think it might have less drone or interior sound. What is your opinion of the interior sound? Thanks for you help.
The flowmasters are a little loud. Not obnoxious but you will have to turn the radio up a little. On a scale of 1-5 i would say these are about a 3 as far as interior. Not quiet but not so loud you need to yell to talk. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Biggest Bang for your buck?