C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads, cam, headers on LS3, make 500HP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Heads, cam, headers on LS3, make 500HP?

And that is, with a streetable cam, for a daily driver, an A6, that sees occasional work on the road course.

Anybody got a build like this? Would a new intake be needed as well?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Going to take a big cam. A new intake would be beneficial too. Not really sure how friendly it would be for street. I am sure it would not pass emission here in Ca. Texas emissions I am not sure.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spin, Might chime in ,Also call LG motorsports, and a few other top shops on the forum. There are some proven packages out there......All it takes is money.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I have a Z06 with 465 rwhp. If I added a cam and headers, I might see 500 rwhp or just a little over. You have 51 less cu in, less flowing heads, so you would have to go with a pretty stout cam, which can easily ruin the "streetability".

I have a friend who has a '10 LS3 with a cam, longtubes, full Magnaflow exhaust and a Maggie supercharger(7.5 pis) with a Honker and has perfect street manners. He has 603 rwhp. His supercharger is adding a lot more then 103 rwhp to his car.
The following users liked this post:
sipdog (05-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have a Z06 with 465 rwhp. If I added a cam and headers, I might see 500 rwhp or just a little over. You have 51 less cu in, less flowing heads, so you would have to go with a pretty stout cam, which can easily ruin the "streetability".

I have a friend who has a '10 LS3 with a cam, longtubes, full Magnaflow exhaust and a Maggie supercharger(7.5 pis) with a Honker and has perfect street manners. He has 603 rwhp. His supercharger is adding a lot more then 103 rwhp to his car.
Actually you would make 500 with intake and headers alone on your Z, no cam needed. Mine makes 504 with a K&N, longtubes and tune.

I think the OP's goals are doable providing the correct cam is chosen.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

you would probably need a ported intake and throttle body. and you may need a higher stall converter even with a mild cam.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
ls3gotcha
Racer

Originally Posted by godzilladude
And that is, with a streetable cam, for a daily driver, an A6, that sees occasional work on the road course.

I do 501rwhp 1 7/8 longtubes with no cats,vararam, 231/236 cam, ported intake manifold. tune. STOCK HEADS UNMILLED

that is all... runs consistent 10.90s in the quarter

new intake no..

ported..yes

my cam drives just like the stocker

Last edited by ls3gotcha; 11-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
ls3gotcha
Racer

603 rwhp is very weak for that combination

If you added cam and headers to your Z with a good tune you would probably see 535-550rwhp

Last edited by ls3gotcha; 11-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
Actually you would make 500 with intake and headers alone on your Z, no cam needed. Mine makes 504 with a K&N, longtubes and tune.

I think the OP's goals are doable providing the correct cam is chosen.
Anyone can make big power, but to do it with reliablilty and good street manners are something else. 525 BHP is about 462 rwhp(at 12% driveline loss for a standard trans or 445 rwhp for a A6 at 15% driveline loss). The OP asked about 500 HP(I'm assuming he meant at the wheels) with his A6. That's about 50-55 more then Lingenfelter is building with a warrany and good gas mileage(streetability)

From Lingenfeilter's site.................................... ...

C6 LS3 2008-2011 > 378 CID LS3 525 HP

6.2 L Engine package

525 BHP / 465 lbs-ft of torque

See chassis dyno sheet MT

Package includes:

- Engine removal, inspection and cleaning for assembly
- Lingenfelter CNC ported & polished LS3 L92 cylinder heads
- Existing GM 2.165" hollow stem intake / 1.59" solid stem exhaust valves retained
- Three angle valve job, hand blending of valve seats
- CC chambers, surface, set spring heights and assembly
- Competition Cams valve springs & seals
- Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams GT11 hydraulic roller camshaft
- Modified oil pump assembly
- Ported & polished throttle body
- 160 degree thermostat
- ATI 10% underdrive balancer
- Lingenfelter C6 High Flow Air Intake
- All necessary gaskets, fluids & bolts
- Professional assembly & engine installation
- Engine testing & expert ECM tuning
- Chassis dyno testing before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity
Old 11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
tomiboy
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Headers, intake, t-stat, UDP, ported stock IM and TB, and a Spin cam (very streetable) should get you close, but probably not 500 RWHP without milling heads or porting them, might even need new heads.

This is an M6

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ivability.html
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ls3gotcha

If you added cam and headers to your Z with a good tune you would probably see 535-550rwhp
Again, to have a streetable, reliable car and get 550 rwhp it would take more then a cam and headers with my LS7.

from Lingenfelters site...........................

630 BHP / 570 lbs ft of torque

See chassis dyno sheet

Package Includes:

- Engine removal & removal of intake manifold, cylinder heads, camshaft
- Lingenfelter CNC porting & polishing of cylinder heads for optimal flow
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job & surfacing for 11.5:1 compression
- Ferrea high performance dual valve springs, titanium retainers & valve locks
- Lingenfelter ZO6 GT19 camshaft by Competition Cams
- Lingenfelter High Flow C6 ZO6 Air Induction & 4" diameter Lingenfelter Mass Air Sensor
- Port Matched LS7 intake manifold
- Ported and polished LS7 throttle body
- GM Head gaskets & head bolts
- 160 degree thermostat
- Professional engine assembly and degreeing of camshaft.
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely effected

Package price - $10,146.00

These power figures are based on the vehicle having American Racing long tube headers on the car when it arrives at LPE. LPE sells and recommends the American Racing Headers which are $1,799.00 for this application not including installation.

As to my friends Maggie LS3 at 603 rwhp. Lingenfelter's is 650bhp or 572 rwhp at 12% driveline loss. Heads were not pulled from my friend's car as they are with the Lingenfelter engine package. Here is from Lingenfelter's web site.....

C6 LS3 2008-2011 > 378 CID LS3 650 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package - New

650 BHP / 630 lbs-ft of torque

- Engine removal, disassembly and inspection
- Lingenfelter CNC porting of LS3 cylinder heads
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job, cc cylinder chambers
- OE 2.165" hollow stem intake / 1.59" heavy duty Inconnel exhaust valves
- Surfacing for correct compression, Competition Cams valve springs
- Mahle forged coated aluminum pistons and tool steel pins
- Manley 4340 forged billet steel “I” beam connecting rods
- Computer balanced LS3 crankshaft & rotating assembly
- Total seal file fit rings
- Clevite Heavy duty rod & main bearings
- Head gaskets, head bolts
- GM LS9 ZR1 supercharger camshaft
- TVS2300 intercooled supercharger system
- Black powder coated finish
- Based on OEM Eaton supercharger unit
- Fuel system upgrades and properly sized fuel injectors
- 160 Degree thermostat
- Ported & polished LS3 throttle body
- Lingenfelter High Flow Air Intake
- Lingenfelter C6 Corvette SV2, SV3 or SV4 supercharger hood
- SV2 on Yellow car SV3 on White & Jet Stream Blue car, SV4 Cyber Grey car
- Professional painting and finishing of hood for perfect match
- Professional engine installation, testing & tuning
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected

Package price – $21,995.00

Additional options
Dual disc clutch and flywheel assembly $1,499.95
Lingenfelter aluminum coil covers $599.00
Corsa stainless steel cat back exhaust $1,549.00
Labor to install Corsa exhaust $200.00
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3gotcha

You've got to be kidding on both of these.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,259 Likes on 733 Posts

stock heads and cam + headers can get to about 500 rwhp in an LS3 M6. The cams that will do that aren't very friendly in an A6 without a high stall torque converter. However, you did mention heads, so swapping to Trickflows and LSx manifold and the cam size requirement comes down a bit.
I have a Z06 with 465 rwhp. If I added a cam and headers, I might see 500 rwhp or just a little over.
As far as getting 500 HP from a Z06 with a cam and headers, it has been done reliably many times and 520 - 560 RWHP is what most people target:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...no-inside.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...y-numbers.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...am-change.html
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
stock heads and cam + headers can get to about 500 rwhp in an LS3 M6. The cams that will do that aren't very friendly in an A6 without a high stall torque converter. However, you did mention heads, so swapping to Trickflows and LSx manifold and the cam size requirement comes down a bit.

As far as getting 500 HP from a Z06 with a cam and headers, it has been done reliably many times and 520 - 560 RWHP is what most people target:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...no-inside.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...y-numbers.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...am-change.html
Read the first one you posted, He had 499 rwhp with a cam, long tubes and intake and tune, then went to a bigger cam to get more horsepower. Then read this recent post....... 553 rwhp and not what I call street manners.

"Hi All,
I after a 7 hr drive from Memphis I picked up my Z from Carlos and the guys at Quality Motorsports. I had them install the widow cam package, American Racing 1 7/8 headers, haltech CAI, New master and slave, and Ram twin disk clutch.....I have driven close to 800 miles on the new install this weekend...Here is my review:

I originally wanted the Mamba cam but the girlfriend opted for the larger cam cause she liked the cam in carlos's car....Carlos did mention that the Widow cam is a large not very street friendly cam and the Mamba would be a better option for street driving but I chose to have it installed anyway....Well I was very impressed with the sound of the cam....It is very choppy and has a great sound to it..The down side is it bucks very bad at low speeds and the car smells like its dumping raw fuel out the exhaust even with the high flow cats installed...The combination of large cam and strong clamping clutch makes it tough to drive in heavy traffic at low speeds or stop and go...
I opted for the Ram twin disk due to its very strong holding capacity and low pricing.....but great holding capacity does come at a price, it grabs very hard and is a bit of a pain to drive in stop and go traffic because it doesnt slip as easy as the stocker...another major issue is the sound that comes from it when pressing the clutch...it sounds like the transmission is going to fall out of the car...not good at all..I wish i would have heard that clutch before i ordered it....it wouldve been worth a couple hundred dollars more to not have that ugly sound coming from my car...ive had a few people ask me whats wrong with the car and i kindly replied its a race car clutch with twin disks and a steel plate that loosens when pressing the clutch...kind of embarrasing....I do not recommend this clutch if you plan on driving the car in a public non race environment....this is one item i wish i had done my homework on.....
The next item to discuss is the fuel economy....before the cam swap I averaged 29-30mpg with a high of 31 at times (calculated by actual fuel used and milage driven)....now even with the large cam im still getting 23mpg at 70mph in 6th gear....which is awesome! But in traffic stop and go driving it gets around 10-12 due to having to keep the engine revved up over 1700 rpms to get the car to move...Another small issue is when I turn the car off the engine continues to run for a few more revolutions which kind of reminds me of the old cars that would "diesel" when you shut them off....it may be due to the large cam...Well thats all the "bad" stuff I could think of so now for the "Good" stuff!
The first thing is a stock Z makes 440-460rwhp and unfortunately i didnt get to dyno mine in stock form.....
With the Widow Cam, headers, stock unported intake, and CAI my Z made 553rwhp and 500ftlbs torque....Awesome numbers!!! The car is a totally different animal from stock....sure it drives like crap in traffic but thats a small price to pay for this awesome power! It pulls very hard in the 3-7k range and gets to 160mph (in Mexico) extremely quick! I am very impressed with the power the car makes....My brother who has driven several of my 9 second drag cars was very impressed with the new found power and had a grin from ear to ear after taking it for some spirited driving.....All in all I am very happy with my choice in power upgrades (aside from the noisy clutch) and want to thank Carlos, Patrick, Doug, and Luke for making my Z even better! I hope they enjoyed the McRibs with extra pickles!
Feel free to ask any questions or comment on my new upgrades!
Lopez "
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

sounds like a lot of people going to ppl who cant tune for crap.
i have an 08 c6 coupe.. milled stockers.. G6x3 cam and long tubes, through NPP.

500 rwhp.. i can cruise at 900 rpm.. 40ish mph in 6th gear with NO SURGING at all. I average about 24-25mpg mixed.. and thats based on fill up compared to distange not the DIC.

My tuner took the time to street tune it rather then doing 3 pulls on a dyno and giving it back to me.

I have no Idle issues.. i dont have to "rev it to 1700" to make it move in traffic.. it seems like one or 2 people have an issue and instantly its all crap. As for LPEs website.. you are paying for 4x the cost so if you blow up your car they will warrenty it maybe.. i would push my car off a cliff before paying LPES prices.
The following users liked this post:
keymore74 (08-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning_
sounds like a lot of people going to ppl who cant tune for crap.
i have an 08 c6 coupe.. milled stockers.. G6x3 cam and long tubes, through NPP.

500 rwhp.. i can cruise at 900 rpm.. 40ish mph in 6th gear with NO SURGING at all. I average about 24-25mpg mixed.. and thats based on fill up compared to distange not the DIC.

My tuner took the time to street tune it rather then doing 3 pulls on a dyno and giving it back to me.

I have no Idle issues.. i dont have to "rev it to 1700" to make it move in traffic.. it seems like one or 2 people have an issue and instantly its all crap. As for LPEs website.. you are paying for 4x the cost so if you blow up your car they will warrenty it maybe.. i would push my car off a cliff before paying LPES prices.

LPE's prices have nothing to do with this topic. I mentioned LPE because they have a great reputation and the engines they offer are streetable and dependable. Ask them for another 50 rwhp and see what they do with their warranty.

I'm sure I could find a person that would get me 650 rwhp NA out of my LS7, but could I drive it and would he warrant it like LPE does.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

LPE's prices have nothing to do with this topic. I mentioned LPE because they have a great reputation and the engines they offer are streetable and dependable. Ask them for another 50 rwhp and see what they do with their warranty.

I'm sure I could find a person that would get me 650 rwhp NA out of my LS7, but could I drive it and would he warrant it like LPE does.
im sure if he charged 4x more then anyone else he would warrenty it.. if you are SO worried about a warrenty, then leave the car alone.
I dont know anyone with a BIG cam in an ls3 making 500 rwhp whose car isnt reliable. As a matter of fact i know more STOCK ls7s that have eaten themselves then heads/cam ls3s...

if you are happy being slow with a 460 rwhp z0.. that's your choice.. some of us want to be faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads, cam, headers on LS3, make 500HP?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
solow1k
Racer

Originally Posted by WhiteLightning_
im sure if he charged 4x more then anyone else he would warrenty it.. if you are SO worried about a warrenty, then leave the car alone.
I dont know anyone with a BIG cam in an ls3 making 500 rwhp whose car isnt reliable. As a matter of fact i know more STOCK ls7s that have eaten themselves then heads/cam ls3s...

if you are happy being slow with a 460 rwhp z0.. that's your choice.. some of us want to be faster.

LMFAO this guy thinks anything bigger then a stock cam isnt a street able setup. Watch out or he'll copy some more random info from LPE's website
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
White_Lightning
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by godzilladude

you would most likely need to at least port your stocker.. and you would need a slightly higher stall.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LPE does do great work and their combos have very streetable near stock manors. However, keep in mind that they leave alot on the table with their cam selection and conservative tunes. LPE caters to a specific customer with their builds and one must keep in mind that there are other options. What needs to be determined is what the OP considers streetable. What he feels is streetable may not be streetable to me, and same goes for the other way around.

If the OP understands that his car is going to drive differently than stock to attain his goal then his goal should be reachable, or close to reachable. If he wants the car to drive like its stock then he needs to just throw a blower on it and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Heads, cam, headers on LS3, make 500HP?