C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Review of the Sprint Throttle Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
JRLedFoot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTJim
How can the Sprint Booster short out your throttle switch and ECM? From what I understand all it does is modify the throttle signal supplied to the ECM. It installs inline between the connector on the gas peddle and the wiring harness to the ECM. If you turn the thing off it has no impact on throttle response at all. Not saying it didn't happen, just from my knowledge I can't see how it would.
Well, the throttle switch is integral with the pedal, it is an assembly,and placing a device in line in the circuit can cause damage if deffective.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 AM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Review of the Sprint Throttle Booster Reply to Thread

This thing sounds very interesting, but I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

Does this thing change the car whereas when you have the gas pedal 1/2 way down its actually at full throttle (approximately) at the engine? In other words, does it "advance" the throttle to pedal position across the board or just for the first 50% (or so) of pedal travel and after that its as stock?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZR
This thing sounds very interesting, but I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

Does this thing change the car whereas when you have the gas pedal 1/2 way down its actually at full throttle (approximately) at the engine? In other words, does it "advance" the throttle to pedal position across the board or just for the first 50% (or so) of pedal travel and after that its as stock?

Thanks,
Dan
It advances from 0-100%, but at some point, the remaining pedal travel will be doing nothing.

The device is quite useless if you just learn to put your foot into the throttle a bit more to do your agressive driving. It does exactly the same thing. When you move your foot, just move 15% more than normal. Or 20% more than normal. You'll get the same result.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

You know you get a lot of people who seems to know a bunch about this but haven't ever even driven with one in let alone have one in thier car. To me it feels like the throttle ramps in faster and if it works the way all these guys say(who don't use or own one) it accelerates the throttle movement in a linear fashion then it stands to reason that at the upper end of travel pushing the throttle more should not increase throttle opening. I DO NOT have that sensation when I go full throttle so I'm thinking it may be more of a parabolic curve where the travel is effected more at the lower throttle openings and returns to a stock type setting at the upper throttle limits? I really don't know since I don't care how it works I just know I like hopw it works In any case, I like mine more everytime I drive it. It has a fail safe money back 14 day guarantee and it couldn't cost $5 to send it back so trying one is a no brainer to me. As I and others have said it makes driving my car more fun for me. Thank you to everyone who pointed out how I wasted my money, thank you for giving me permission to waste my money and thank you for coming onto a thread and givng your opinion about something you have not tried nor own. To the gentleman who had the problem with it shorting out his throttle switch thank you for sharing your experiences too.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock455
Once again another person who's never driven a car with one in it, nor looked at the inside of one in person. See the title, it's a review from someone who bought one and uses it. Why not start your own thread where you bought one and don't like it or where you went online and found all the answers from all the other Internet scientist and feel its bunk. Otherwise you're just hating and misinformed if you don't think we the happy users haven't already searched the Internet for this info. We can use google too. Now go buy one and do your own review or add your opinion here, otherwise without hands on information to add go away.
BTW, Ill post what ever the hell I want to post, last time I checked this was a forum.

Ill post it where ever I want to post it as well.

Im making sure this thread doesnt sucker any one else in so Ill post all the info I can find.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

Thank you again
Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To me it feels like the throttle ramps in faster and if it works the way all these guys say(who don't use or own one) it accelerates the throttle movement in a linear fashion then it stands to reason that at the upper end of travel pushing the throttle more should not increase throttle opening.
The White Paper "Sprint Booster Transfer Function" shows this non-linear mapping which is why it "feels" different. Some of the smaller sporty cars do the same kind of non-linear mapping to make them feel peppier. And some tunes do the same thing.

Enjoy the drive

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 07-14-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,046 Likes on 5,390 Posts

It is the same thing GM used to do in the mid 80s to make their low power V6s seem to be peppier around town. However, on an electronic throttle car it will only give you what your right foot would have given you if you just moved it further. The ECM will keep it from opening too much since the ECM is the final arbiter of how far the throttle can open before the engine bogs. It it makes you feel better fine but as the promo for the device says it really doesn't do anything. Beautiful sales job, tell them the product doesn't really do anything, then sell for big bucks and everybody especially the seller is very happy. Can't even accuse him of misleading you since he was perfectly honest and told you it didn't really do anything.

I am really going to have to change the sales pitch on the bridge I have for sale.

Bill
Old 07-15-2011, 12:15 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I DO NOT have empirical data to support that. I've never run my car at the track so I don't have 1/4 times to back it up.
I do.
I tested the Sprint unit on my C6 a few months ago for a friend of the shop I work with and like others have said I did find that it does exactly what it says it will, I noticed it right away on the ride home when I had it in the 'red' setting.
Unfortunately what it does did absolutely NOTHING for me at the track as I can accomplish the exact same thing by simply pushing my foot down harder/faster and still retain more 'control' of the throttle modulation while doing so.
'Throttle by wire' systems being notoriously delayed (by at least a little bit in the C6 as well), I was hoping that it might help with my reaction times and cutting a better light for the 11 race long index racing series that I compete in from March through November but it actually made matters potentially worse. When trying to stall it up (bring the revs up against the converter) to get the car to respond immediately once I see the yellow bulb (.500 Pro Tree) this thing gave it so much throttle that I almost pushed through the beams and left before the tree dropped/redlighted LOL. As expected, my ETs/MPHs were the same with it in 'red' as they were with it off. I didn't try it in 'green' mode.
But for street driving and immediate throttle response (if that's what one is seeking), it does work.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,507 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just from reading this thread, it sounds like this is the electronic equivilent of a multi-carb progressive linkage throttle control, but in reverse on a single throat.

I assume it takes some time to relearn the part throttle sensitivity, so hopping out of my V6 pickup into the Vette might make me dangerous.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,518 Likes on 1,973 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is the same thing GM used to do in the mid 80s to make their low power V6s seem to be peppier around town. However, on an electronic throttle car it will only give you what your right foot would have given you if you just moved it further. The ECM will keep it from opening too much since the ECM is the final arbiter of how far the throttle can open before the engine bogs. It it makes you feel better fine but as the promo for the device says it really doesn't do anything. Beautiful sales job, tell them the product doesn't really do anything, then sell for big bucks and everybody especially the seller is very happy. Can't even accuse him of misleading you since he was perfectly honest and told you it didn't really do anything.

I am really going to have to change the sales pitch on the bridge I have for sale.

Bill
I thought I read somewhere that they used to do that with gears or/in the auto trans--is that correct?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
I thought I read somewhere that they used to do that with gears or/in the auto trans--is that correct?
I thought it was done more with the intake manifold and runner lengths (set up for that punchy low end torque), but maybe a steeper first gear as well.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:14 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Well I can't speak to it's construction but I really like how it increases my throttle response. I definitely turn it off or to the green level for rain. That's the beauty you can turn it up, down or off as conditions or your horsepower warrant. You can take it with you if you sell the car as removal is a 10 minute deal. I feel what it does is worth $300, if someone makes it cheaper then I'd buy it even quicker! 14 day money back guarantee makes it a no brainer purchase just return it if you're not happy!
a good tune increase'es your throttle reponse amonst other things and the dyno sheet prove's it don't tell us how wonderful something works without a before and after dyno runs IMHO
Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
a good tune increase'es your throttle reponse amonst other things
True, and me already being properly dyno tuned might be part of why I didn't really see the full benefits of this booster thingie. On a bone stock car it might be far more relevant.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 770 Likes on 396 Posts

Not for me...but thanks OP for your input
Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand exactly what the original poster is experiencing. He/specifically said that he knows that the car did not gain any power, just that subjectively it feels better when going through the motions. That's all that he is referring to.

One of my pet peeves regarding the C6 is how unresponsive feeling the throttle is with the stock programming. It is more lazy feeling than I personally feel it should be. I know that when I put my foot down more/quicker that the car responds more. However, I don't like having to do this. Subjectively it gives me the impression that the engine is not as naturally responsive/powerful even though I know it is that powerful.

If one does not want to tamper with the stock tune to change the throttle position mapping then the Sprint Booster is a very good option to accomplish a similar goal.

Last edited by rfopt; 07-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 251 Likes on 164 Posts

on my 08Z (and probably for all vettes) there's a noticeable difference when you turn the traction control off: the throtle is alot less responsive as when the TC is on. So in a way, with the TC on, it's peppier around town. I don't have data log but I recall someone data logging and there was a difference.

Get notified of new replies

To My Review of the Sprint Throttle Booster

Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Or get your car tuned by a competent tuner
Old 07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
abstruse1
Instructor

I had an older 911 (c. 2004) that had a "sport" mode switch that, as far as I could tell, did the same thing the SB does (plus more stuff to do with suspension). I used it a lot.

I have a SB on my Z06 and like it. My understanding is that it's largely psychological in that you go faster with what seems like a light throttle, but that works for me .

The first one I ordered was the wrong one -- car wouldn't run -- so they sent me the right one and all's well.

Now I need to order one for my Shelby.
The following users liked this post:
cjfast1 (04-28-2020)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
bigblock455
Instructor

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
don't tell us how wonderful something works without a before and after dyno runs IMHO
CMY- I don't get you man? I specifically said it doesn't increase horsepower. It won't show up on a dyno. It just makes MY car more FUN to drive. That is subjective not empirical! It makes it more that $300 funner to drive and that's why I bought it. I mean I just don't get you guys sometimes???

Quick Reply: My Review of the Sprint Throttle Booster