C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effect of clutch spring removal or C5 clutch spring on drag racing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:28 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Effect of clutch spring removal or C5 clutch spring on drag racing??

Ive had the same issue with my 08 C6 with the clutch sticking to the floor or just slightly above the floor intermittently, but only when drag racing at the track in 1st gear. I always do the Ranger fluid flush before heading to the track OR as soon as I get to the track, so Im pretty sure thats not the issue.

Weird thing is when it sticks to the floor, is that it usually feels like a great launch and throws me back in seat harder than other times when I slip clutch more. So, either its the spring holding the pedal up at bottom slighty OR the clutch is going out. I dont think its the clutch though seeing even when it sticks those launches feel great and its just intermittent and car has only 37k miles, and it did it when I first raced it at 30k miles. And theres only about 14 passes total on the car...

I just spent about an hour reading various threads on removing the spring OR installing the C5 spring...
I dont care about stiffer pedal, just want the clutch to release fully and allow for slip-free operation to get me the best 60' times...
Will removal or C5 spring help bringing the clutch up top or is this just something I need to deal with?

TIA - Chris
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Unsure about your specific question...however I did the C5 spring switch on my 08 cause I hated the feel of the C6 spring and man this feels allot better, smoother shifts etc.....easy and cheap install if I were you I would check it out and reinstall the C6 spring if you dont like it...couple bucks and couple minutes to install...
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Unsure about your specific question...however I did the C5 spring switch on my 08 cause I hated the feel of the C6 spring and man this feels allot better, smoother shifts etc.....easy and cheap install if I were you I would check it out and reinstall the C6 spring if you dont like it...couple bucks and couple minutes to install...
I may just do that... Did you ever feel as if when you launched the car very hard, that the pedal would stick to the floor and/or hang way below the top of the pedal momentarily? Did the C5 spring fix that??
Thanks bud...
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,331 Posts

The condition you're describing is the diaphragm springs in the pressure plate getting weak from the heat. IMHO if you pull the assist spring it is just a band-aid and you still run the risk of damaging your synchros in your transmission. If you're going to be drag racing a lot or are looking to maximize your 60', I recommend you look into an aftermarket clutch.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Ive had the same issue with my 08 C6 with the clutch sticking to the floor or just slightly above the floor intermittently, but only when drag racing at the track in 1st gear. I always do the Ranger fluid flush before heading to the track OR as soon as I get to the track, so Im pretty sure thats not the issue.

Weird thing is when it sticks to the floor, is that it usually feels like a great launch and throws me back in seat harder than other times when I slip clutch more. So, either its the spring holding the pedal up at bottom slighty OR the clutch is going out. I dont think its the clutch though seeing even when it sticks those launches feel great and its just intermittent and car has only 37k miles, and it did it when I first raced it at 30k miles. And theres only about 14 passes total on the car...

I just spent about an hour reading various threads on removing the spring OR installing the C5 spring...
I dont care about stiffer pedal, just want the clutch to release fully and allow for slip-free operation to get me the best 60' times...
Will removal or C5 spring help bringing the clutch up top or is this just something I need to deal with?

TIA - Chris
THe problem you are experiencing has nothing to do with the clutch over-center spring...it's the pressure plate diaphragm fingers that are the problem.The heat induced by the drag race launch is not allowing the fingers to return completely to the "engaged" position...therefore leaving the clutch pedal to "hang".

THe only cure is to switch to a clutch/pressure plate assembly that can withstand the heat and stress of a drag race style launch.

:edit....agree exactly with the post made directly above mine

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 12-07-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C5 had a spec clutch no clutch pedal spring. My C6 clutch pedal spring broke.
I replaced it with the one I took out of the C5. I hate it. It feels like a mushy pedal. I will eventually get around to removing it when I want to wrench my back again.
It does nothing in my opinion, unless someone can offer factual data.
It makes your pedal spongie..
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SuperchargedStroker
My C5 had a spec clutch no clutch pedal spring. My C6 clutch pedal spring broke.
I replaced it with the one I took out of the C5. I hate it. It feels like a mushy pedal. I will eventually get around to removing it when I want to wrench my back again.
It does nothing in my opinion, unless someone can offer factual data.
It makes your pedal spongie..
The spring is used to lessen the amount of muscle required to depress and hold the clutch pedal down (it does), and assist the pedal in making sure it returns to a full upright position and re-engages the clutch engagement microswitch (which it doesn't do IF the clutch pedal is already hung).

Mine broke 3 years ago and I've never installed the replacement one......and I'm at 60K+ on my original clutch (C6 Z06).
Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

As soon as I had a cam installed earlier this year (around spring time) is when my clutch pedal started to stick to or near the floor, in fact, it happened to me the very first time I got on the car in 3rd gear (again, after the cam install)! I wasn't happy obviously, my car had just under 40K miles on it and had never done this before. I had ran my car in the 1/4 approximately a dozen times prior to the cam and it had never happened at any of the events?

Joe G told me to remove my spring all together so I did, guess what, it has never stuck to or near the floor sense and that was around 6K miles ago!

I say take the spring out!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Toxic c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
As soon as I had a cam installed earlier this year (around spring time) is when my clutch pedal started to stick to or near the floor, in fact, it happened to me the very first time I got on the car in 3rd gear (again, after the cam install)! I wasn't happy obviously, my car had just under 40K miles on it and had never done this before. I had ran my car in the 1/4 approximately a dozen times prior to the cam and it had never happened at any of the events?

Joe G told me to remove my spring all together so I did, guess what, it has never stuck to or near the floor sense and that was around 6K miles ago!

Mine did the same thing never had a problem until I put my cam in and it either sticks to the floor or just does not disengage the clutch fully especially shifting into 4th, but im going the Katech ls9x route to completely fix that problem.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Toxic c6
Mine did the same thing never had a problem until I put my cam in and it either sticks to the floor or just does not disengage the clutch fully especially shifting into 4th, but im going the Katech ls9x route to completely fix that problem.
Did you try removing the spring?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Just because you take the spring out doesn't mean it's not doing the same thing, you haven't allowed the clutch to hold more power. Notice the problem always arises when people add more power...
Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Just because you take the spring out doesn't mean it's not doing the same thing, you haven't allowed the clutch to hold more power. Notice the problem always arises when people add more power...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I may just do that... Did you ever feel as if when you launched the car very hard, that the pedal would stick to the floor and/or hang way below the top of the pedal momentarily? Did the C5 spring fix that??
Thanks bud...
Yea, I have had that happen a couple of times too...I have not noticed it since the spring change out - but I also have not launched it as hard since I put it in! ..so based on what these guys are saying above sounds like we need a upgraded clutch assembly!!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Big 0
Old 12-10-2011, 05:46 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The condition you're describing is the diaphragm springs in the pressure plate getting weak from the heat. IMHO if you pull the assist spring it is just a band-aid and you still run the risk of damaging your synchros in your transmission. If you're going to be drag racing a lot or are looking to maximize your 60', I recommend you look into an aftermarket clutch.
I would agree. I don't drag race but do HPDE's and autocross. Last year after a HPDE on the drive home the clutch went to the floor. I limped it home and let it set over night. The next day I took it out, the clutch came back up but it felt mushy. Upon dissasembly the pressure plate had a blue ring about 1 inch wide all the way around it. Installed the Katech LS7 clutch and could not be happier. Felt like I added 100 hp to the car.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002

I have taken out half a dozen springs at the track. Works every time to fix this problem. I took my spring out 4 years ago with 17k miles right after I put in a cam....clutch is still going strong today with 59,000 miles and 527 drag strip launches.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everybody.

Try it. It's free and won't hurt.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

I defenitely gonna try to pull the spring... Hope for the best, expect the worst.

If that's what it comes to, what's the labor on installing a clutch??
Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Don't fret. You're going to be fine. Be sure and do the Ranger flush before and after the track events.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
TMyers
Race Director

I defenitely gonna try to pull the spring... Hope for the best, expect the worst.

If that's what it comes to, what's the labor on installing a clutch??
11 hours by the GM book. Here that is $1100.

Get notified of new replies

To Effect of clutch spring removal or C5 clutch spring on drag racing??

Quick Reply: Effect of clutch spring removal or C5 clutch spring on drag racing??