C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRACKED Carbon Fiber SPlitter. ANy Repair Kits people use????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default CRACKED Carbon Fiber SPlitter. ANy Repair Kits people use????

I finally lightly curbed and cracked the front splitter and want to repair it with some clear resin to stabilize it an maybe add a small piece with similar weave. Anybody here done this as those front splitters are 700-2000 dollars. Nice repair would be nice.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Did it mess up the weave? If it did you are going to play hard getting it back straight...and that is almost all but impossible from what I have seen in the past.

If it just cracked it from the under side..you can use a two part resin and add some either carbon weave or fiberglass to the bottom side to stiffen it back up again. Again you can't really do much for the top side of things.

Also depending on who's splitter it is...what the top side actually is. The stock stuff has a UV coating on it with a special clear. Most of the aftermarket pieces have some UV coating but need to check to see if it would match.

In a very very small crack or hole you can use super glue....it drys clear and will stop any further cracking from happening. Typically doesn't match 100% but offers a cheap fix and will keep it from getting worse. You can also wet sand and polish it in small areas
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

The first thing you need to know is, "Was the splitter made with epoxy resin or vinyl ester resin or poly ester resin. Its much easier to do a repair using poly ester or vinyl ester. If the part is made of epoxy, you should never attempt a repair with anything other than epoxy. You can do a nice blend job and distort the weave bad enough that will will stand out badly.

If the top side isn't splintered, just cracked, do the patch from underneath for strength and the top patch area can be strictly cosmetic. Sand out the area directly over the crack along the crack. Poor the appropriate resin into the slight depression you sanded into the surface. Let it dry, sand it smooth, This may take two times. Then fine sand it to 400 grit and re-clear. Or if your resin has a good UV additive in it, sand to 800 grit and buff,

If the top is splintered, sand aggressively (grind) the splintering away and tehn sand an area large enough to add a patch of CF. Laminate it and let it cure. Using a rough sandpaper at first, take off some of the material trying to feather the edge of the carbon to nothing. Once its feathered smooth, sand a larger area up to 400 grit and re-clear. If the edges of the CF doesn't feather out in a perfect straight line it will blend nicely.

Remember the splitter is relatively thin. So where you feather the edges be careful not to remove any original material, or at least, not much of it. Its a good idea to put a layer of masking take on the area outside the patch right up to the edge of the patch, this will protect the original surface from eroding away as you sand. Eventually, you'll have to remove the tape to complete the job of sanding.

Last edited by rabrooks; 12-27-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-30-2013, 01:53 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Thanks guys.. Now I have to get the Balllz to do the prep works and find the best supplies to do it right. Just want to remove that white chalk look and do a reasonable job blending her in.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Now who sells the Zr1 carbon fiber style weave so we can repair it correctly? Be nice if a supplier pms me to help. Really would appreciate it so it matches well. Thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

By the time you get done messing with it, and then not being happy with the results, just get a new or used one that is not damaged and save your self a bunch of frustration.

Trust me, I have been down this road with other parts.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wilddr805
Now who sells the Zr1 carbon fiber style weave so we can repair it correctly? Be nice if a supplier pms me to help. Really would appreciate it so it matches well. Thanks
I believe I have a patch piece I can send you. Take a close up pic of the weave so I can verify. Send the pic to bbrooks@brooksboatworks.com
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Default Pics of damaged Zr1 splitter.

Here are some photos of damage. If somebody has a patch of this design that would be great. Found a place that said they could do it for about 300.
Attached Images     
Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

several vendors sell new ones in the $600's buy one of those and keep the damaged one if you go road racing or on a road trip. if i remember right the gm unit is over $2k.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
several vendors sell new ones in the $600's buy one of those and keep the damaged one if you go road racing or on a road trip. if i remember right the gm unit is over $2k.
Who makes them for that much as is good quality and not different looking than stock.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

I have the material you need. I can mail you a piece large enough to make that repair for $20. This will be enough for two layers, one front and one back.

There are several companies making these units in high quality parts. They are all vendors here on the forum. From time to time they run special pricing.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Wilddr805
Drifting

I may take this off and repair it. If there are some good deals on carbon fiber splitters for a ZR1 that are made well I may get one. Who are the best ones????
Old 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

C7 has nice looking pieces and here's a link to another one
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...y-to-ship.html
Old 10-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Jan_N
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a stage 2 C7 carbon fiber splitter with damage that I want to try to patch. Do you have something that looks right? I have a piece of 2x2 Twill that I think this is. If so I have what I need I guess.

Last edited by Jan_N; 10-01-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding information

Get notified of new replies

To CRACKED Carbon Fiber SPlitter. ANy Repair Kits people use????

Quick Reply: CRACKED Carbon Fiber SPlitter. ANy Repair Kits people use????