C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaks & Groans

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:25 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creaks & Groans

I was just reading the Motor Trend comparison of the Vette vs. 911. Talk about bias & sensationalism at it's best. I was throughly disgusted w/the writer & Motor Trend.

Anyways, I did notice something that has validity to it. I have had a few Corvettes starting w/the C4. I have always been annoyed by the noises the car make when going on an angle into a driveway. I blamed the C4's inferior structural integrity for this.

When the C5 came out, all of the talk was about how the structural integrity was improved & no more creaks, groans, rattles, etc. Although mine was rattle free(compared to the C4), it was still creaking & groaning going into my driveway.

I like to ask the C6 owners if their cars suffer from the same thing. I also want to know what causes this & if there is more to this, because the C6 is supposed to be one of the tighest cars out there. So what gives?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
thebiggman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it happens with my C6.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
shawn h.
Drifting

Do you know the reason why they still have this problem?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
FIG
Advanced

I HAVE THE CREAKS AND IT IS REALLY HARD TO UNDERSTAND WHY. cAN ANYONE EXPLAIN?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet is it is from the balsa wood-composite sandwich floor material that is rigid, lightweight, and strong used in concert with the Hydroformed frame rails are most likely the culprit IMO. If and when they go to a more rigid material in the future that will disappear. I may be wrong but that is one of the future technologies slated for the Corvette.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:20 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont have anything rattling. I do get a little creak out of the center console when entering my driveway or going over speedbumps and that sort of thing. I can make it creak by putting my weight on it. Thats the only noise I have so far.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:43 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

My car is as tight as a drum. There is some creaking that occurs when I turn into the driveway from the street, however I was successful in isolating the noise. I opened the hatch and repeated the exercise and sure enough, the noise disappeared. I saturated a towel with silicone spray and applied it to the rubber stripping and the noise disappeared. It's the only time I hear this creaking type noise. BTW, Porsches, Lambos, BMW's and Ferrari's have rattles. Just check their forums and you will see owners of $170,000 cars complaining about sqeaks and rattles; and in the case of Lamborghini, weak clutches that fry on command. I believe there is a direct relationship between how stiff the car is sprung and the tendency for noises. They are after all high performance cars.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Pio
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine is tight! Nothing out of the ordinary, my 01 M5 and 03 CL made noise now and then.

Last edited by Pio; 12-22-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 PM
UBETRUN
Pro

I drove a buddy's 03 vert w/26K miles this afternoon, it was night and day different from my C6. It was noisier, had more rattles, and didn't feel nearly as glued to the road. Mine is a Z51, his is not. The only rattle in my C6 is the parking brake button, it buzzes every once in a while.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Mine just started rattling from somewhere in the back of the car. I notice it most at low speeds on choppy road surfaces. It sounds like the deck lid is ajar---which it is not or a loose cargo tray---plastic or some non-metallic noise. I have yet to isolate the exact location but is seems to be coming under the trunk. Anybody experience this or have any suggestions? My first Vette is beginning to sound like one of my Trans Ams of the 70's.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Fred S
Instructor

Originally Posted by bcmarly
My car is as tight as a drum. There is some creaking that occurs when I turn into the driveway from the street, however I was successful in isolating the noise. I opened the hatch and repeated the exercise and sure enough, the noise disappeared. I saturated a towel with silicone spray and applied it to the rubber stripping and the noise disappeared. It's the only time I hear this creaking type noise. BTW, Porsches, Lambos, BMW's and Ferrari's have rattles. Just check their forums and you will see owners of $170,000 cars complaining about sqeaks and rattles; and in the case of Lamborghini, weak clutches that fry on command. I believe there is a direct relationship between how stiff the car is sprung and the tendency for noises. They are after all high performance cars.
Most cars will creak going up a driveway from the street. We had a '98 M3 sedan that would creak like mad but only going up or out of a drive way. I think it has to do with body flex as only one wheel changes elevation at time, and with movement of the rubber seals on another component (glass, metal etc)...they creak. Used to do the same thing on the M3 to get rid of the creak...treat the rubber moldings.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:07 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
Mine just started rattling from somewhere in the back of the car. I notice it most at low speeds on choppy road surfaces. It sounds like the deck lid is ajar---which it is not or a loose cargo tray---plastic or some non-metallic noise. I have yet to isolate the exact location but is seems to be coming under the trunk. Anybody experience this or have any suggestions? My first Vette is beginning to sound like one of my Trans Ams of the 70's.
Check the nuts and bolts that secure the mufflers. One or more is probably loose.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:10 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Check the nuts and bolts that secure the mufflers. One or more is probably loose.
THANKS. WILL DO.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:57 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

I had to tighten the bolts that hold the bottom of the rear facia to the frame, they were almost falling out wheen I noticed it. You can tell by knocking on the back of the car and will hear the rattle.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:02 PM
wlee013
Pro

I had creaks and groans. I had a BMW 5 series that was famous for creaks and groans from its door seals. This is stuff we used on seals called gummi pflege which is a seal lubricant. I have used this on all the seals on my C6 and the noise has gone away. I reapply every month.

Seal Lubricant
Old 12-13-2004, 03:36 PM
hlv
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wlee013
I had creaks and groans. I had a BMW 5 series that was famous for creaks and groans from its door seals. This is stuff we used on seals called gummi pflege which is a seal lubricant. I have used this on all the seals on my C6 and the noise has gone away. I reapply every month.

Seal Lubricant

No sounds comeing from my f55 , with 1700 miles so far.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:01 PM
loops
Advanced

I also found one of the bolts holding the muffler hanger strap to be loose - resulted in a rattle that sounded like the hatch lid was not closed.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaks & Groans

Old 12-14-2004, 03:48 PM
ALL ST@R
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bangbgC6
My bet is it is from the balsa wood-composite sandwich floor material that is rigid, lightweight, and strong used in concert with the Hydroformed frame rails are most likely the culprit IMO. If and when they go to a more rigid material in the future that will disappear. I may be wrong but that is one of the future technologies slated for the Corvette.
This guy seems to know everything...
Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ROOK1E
This guy seems to know everything...
I work hard at it!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:06 PM
C6ULATR
Instructor

I have the same noise that you described. I took it to a friend that has a Vette performance shop so I could get it up in the air to take a look. Turns out the rattle is coming from the right muffler right near the hanger bracket. You don't have to lift your car to check this. Just get down and bump each each muffler up and down with the palm of you hand to see if the sound is duplicated. I had already ordered a Borla exhaust system along with an X-pipe so I did not mess with trying to adjust it. Should be pretty easy to eliminate without having to take it back to the dealer though.

Hope this helps!

PvK

Quick Reply: Creaks & Groans