C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of us that like the Japlopnik renderings...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I like theZR1 C7 renderings. My wife likes the renderings, calling it georgeous. If, when unveiled at next January's Detroit Auto show, it looks in real life as the current renderings appear, we will buy one.

And ditto to all the above comments that when the new C series comes out, most folks who own an older series don't like the new one, but then, two or three years later, the majority of our Corvette club has the the current C series or wants to buy one. Similarly, I remember when we were the first in our Club to have a C5 and all the negative comments folks made to us, the most tactful of which was, "hope you like it." By the end of the C5 run, a majority of our club owned one.

It is human nature to dislike something new when you don't have one, then a few years later to want that very thing you first spoke disdainfully about especially if the new/current series Corvette is one you don't have.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:59 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the renderings, 32 here.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It is human nature to dislike something new when you don't have one, then a few years later to want that very thing you first spoke disdainfully about especially if the new/current series Corvette is one you don't have.
We keep going over this again and again. I've NEVER felt this way about any other Corvette as long as I've been alive. NEVER. Not for 3 seconds did I think the C5 was better looking than the C6, or the C4 than the C5. This car sucks, and its suckyness is increased infinitely by the fact that it was preceded by a concept that looked better than it, in much the same way that the 20 year old Britney Spears looked better than Amy Winehouse.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Barely 41 here and on my second Corvette. Bought my first at 35, and second at 40.

Bought my second car used to make sure I could afford the C7 when it's available. Hoping to wait 2 years into the model and get a ZXX model. Patience is not one of my strongest characteristics.

If something becomes a deal-breaker in the C7, I'll buy a C6 ZR1. I honestly can't imagine anything in the C7 'forcing' me into a ZR1...
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like parts of the Jalopnik pics but really dislike other parts, specifically the rear end. I wouldn't base any plans on it as the truth is we have no real idea until the C7 pics come from GM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
ockie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the renderings so far. Count me in for a C7. Hopefully they will have a GS comparative right off the bat.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka
We keep going over this again and again. I've NEVER felt this way about any other Corvette as long as I've been alive. NEVER. Not for 3 seconds did I think the C5 was better looking than the C6, or the C4 than the C5. This car sucks, and its suckyness is increased infinitely by the fact that it was preceded by a concept that looked better than it, in much the same way that the 20 year old Britney Spears looked better than Amy Winehouse.
I get that you really don't like the Jalopnik illustrations, and that you really like the Centennial Corvette. But there is no amount of emphatic language that will make your opinions anything more than your opinions.

The Centennial Corvette sucks, and its suckyness is increased infinitely by the fact that it showed up in two movies next to other better-looking machinery, especially when its overwrought features were emphasized in convertible form in the second movie. Its front end looks like Flava Flav after a bar fight.

See what I mean?

Of course, anyone who says your opinion can't possibly be anything but jealousy or a cyclical aversion to the new is being a tool.

.Jinx
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL Why are you here?

I didn't realize the title of this thread was so inviting to people so against this design... After all, many of us in the thread happen to like what you call "sucky", so remind me why you're here?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,322 Likes on 758 Posts

Rendering disappointed me but it is all in the details. The thing definitely has potential but the Jalopnik version sports details which seem a bit tacky to my eyes -- kinda like some of the kit-car add-ons folks love to append to their C5's and C6's. The tail is particularly weak but I suspect it will not look that way on the real thing.

I have a feeling the C7 will be OK, if perhaps a bit under-whelming (which is frankly what I felt about the C6 until it picked up some needed nastiness in the Z06 version).
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

43 and I absolutely HATE the Jalopnik version. I wanted to see a cleaned up version of the Stingray concept car. THAT was a Corvette. This other version is an abomination born from the minds of too many people trying to put together their vision of the Corvette. It ends up being too much, without a clear design theme.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJ
43 and I absolutely HATE the Jalopnik version. I wanted to see a cleaned up version of the Stingray concept car. THAT was a Corvette. This other version is an abomination born from the minds of too many people trying to put together their vision of the Corvette. It ends up being too much, without a clear design theme.
Cool story, bro!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 280 Likes on 148 Posts

Like it. 27 now, 28 in june. Already talked to the wife, we'll be getting a c7 zr1
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Concept!!

Right, but understand that not everyone thinks that way. I thought the C4 was hideous the first time I saw one-still do. I thought the C5 was glorious the first time I saw one-still do. I loved the c6 the day it came out-still do. I'm pretty open minded, and I could even love this Jalopnik thing... if only it wasn't for that Stingray concept. That concept showed me that GM knows how to make an original, insanely styled supercar, and the Jalopnik thing shows me that they won't. That's the problem-as I drive my C7, I'll always know that, had the dice rolled the right way and the right Vette old timers kept their yaps shut and bought their Buicks like sensible automatic-transmission loving septuagenarians, I could have bought a C7 that looked better than a Ferrari 458. Instead, I get something that is kind of a visually lateral move from a C5 and C6. Not much better, not much worse.
Man, finally someone who I can relate to. You are so right about the Stingray concept. When I first saw it (And still see it daily as my screen saver.) I thought, now this is what GM is capable of: making a car that harkens back to their heritage but with an obvious eye on the future. That car virtually screamed "Corvette!" and would never be mistaken for anything else. While I believe the production version would need a more subtle rear and a better headlight set-up, I still think that car would sell faster than Bowling Green could build them.
Instead, with the Jalopnik version, we get a car that has a design by commitee theme: too many visions and influences from other cars in a amalgamation that quite frankly has no soul. It doesn't look like a Corvette, it looks like a...Insert car name...and that is an absolute shame.
I'm sure the car will be better in most regards, such as performance, mileage , interior quality. But at what cost?
And I don't mean dollars...
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
HZ3
Racer

I just turned 25 I like it enough to put down a cash deposit and be the first in my area to get one off the truck next year...

My biggest concern is the interior but after looking inside multiple Z06s today I realized that as long as there is a minor improvement its not going to be a major problem.

With Ford releasing a new Mustang in 14 or 15 and a new CTS in 14 its a smart move plus having bragging rights on the first new generation C7 Corvette off the truck at my local dealership sounds pretty nice

It's a new generation car and a new era and considering some dealerships already have reserve lists in the double digits its going to sellout fast and be a pretty big head turner no matter what people think for the first year or more.

After looking at the Z06 up close for an hour over the last day though I'm a little bit worried it won't look as classy as say the current Corvette does and suffer from the same problem the CTS-V does when looking exactly like a CTS except for the grille and engine cover.

People may automatically put it together with the Camaro and think less of a car that's already suffering from minor image issues.

Still after seeing a 115k CL550 under carriage up close this week and what cold weather can do to it in our area I'm at that whatever stage it's a nice affordable sports car and considering I'm looking to purchase potentially next Spring it gives me just enough time to get some money together and put some aftermarket upgrades on it while avoiding a car payment altogether.

Hopefully it just looks updated and still can be easily recognized as a Corvette from afar it's hard to tell from rendering how those curves are going to translate on an actual Vehicle the spy photos give me faith though that its going to be slightly less dramatic than we think.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Right, but understand that not everyone thinks that way. I thought the C4 was hideous the first time I saw one-still do. I thought the C5 was glorious the first time I saw one-still do. I loved the c6 the day it came out-still do. I'm pretty open minded, and I could even love this Jalopnik thing... if only it wasn't for that Stingray concept. That concept showed me that GM knows how to make an original, insanely styled supercar, and the Jalopnik thing shows me that they won't. That's the problem-as I drive my C7, I'll always know that, had the dice rolled the right way and the right Vette old timers kept their yaps shut and bought their Buicks like sensible automatic-transmission loving septuagenarians, I could have bought a C7 that looked better than a Ferrari 458. Instead, I get something that is kind of a visually lateral move from a C5 and C6. Not much better, not much worse.
So you think that they radically changed the body based on yapping from old timers. Remember that it's a car designed to go at 200 mph+. No one radically redesigns such a car on a whim. For all we know, the Stingray concept might pulverize itself at 175 mph or so.

Quick Reply: Those of us that like the Japlopnik renderings...