Future prices of used Corvettes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryWild
Price will go down because of new generation!
You have to factor in the LARGE increase across the board in the used car market. I was shocked to see the the 8k increase in my used infiniti G37 2009 vert. I don' know if this will happen to the niche our vettes are in, but since the economy has caused this aboration in used car prices, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that a large decrease will happen as in other years.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 AM
IRS-Cop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most on here seem to really have missed the point as to why the C4's and C5's fell so far. Or any 80's, 90's or early 2000's cars for that matter. It's simple, prices of the older models fell considerably because even the base C6 Corvette is vastly superior in every aspect to the C4's & C5's, so of course their value fell! The C5 Z06 could probably out do a base C6, and possibly just hang with a C6 GS, but that's it. The C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 are in a different world. Just as the C5 Z06 was compared to the C4 ZR1.

So my prediction is this; if the C7 arrives as a vastly superior car to the C6 both in techology and performance than the C6 Corvettes will fall in price. However if the C7 comes out and it's 1) ugly and/or 2) doesn't have the performance of the C6's than I'd expect the C6's to become what the C2's of the 60's were. Legends! Folks may laugh at me, but remember they built a lot of those C2's back in the day!!

Regardless, I think the C6 ZR1 will hold steady and may even rise in value. They'll be less than 5,000 made in total (approx. 2,000 less than the C4 ZR-1) and won't be trumped by a huge margin by the C7 ZR1. Yes, the C7 ZR1 should out run it in the quarter mile and on a track, but by what? A few tenths??? And that car will likely be less pure than the C6 model. I bet a C7 ZR1 will have a dual-clutch automatic and all kind of other electronic aids/cylinder deativation. The C4 ZR-1 dropped so quick because the C5 Z06 was vastly better and even more pure a car than the C4 ZR-1 it replaced. Also, the C6 ZR1 is almost 1.5 SECONDS faster in the quarter than a C4 ZR-1. I doubt will see a Corvette come out that is 1.5 seconds faster in the quarter than a C6 ZR1. But.....you never know!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
ockie
Instructor

C6's will take the price points of the C5's today and *** the generation progresses the price point will not be as large of drop as it's previous generation. Usually the last generation takes the biggest hits followed by the second last very close.

The C6's are still modern by most car standards, still looks hot, and they are still very fast, faster than a lot of cars on the road, so there will be a crowd that will keep them alive and keep those prices floating.

I've been seeing a lot of C6's with less than 40k mi for around 22-23k (dealer trade in prices are at ~15k), so they are already pretty low already... and with those price points, there will be plenty of buyers keeping its demand up.

Last edited by ockie; 03-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't tell the C5 crowd that... there's still some mighty high prices still over there in the C5 For Sale/Trade section of the forum.

Last edited by Xanthophyll; 03-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Still going to be bargains on bumperette C3s and belt line C4s. Still time to grab a LT1+ C4 or late C3 too.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the younger who have grown up on ricers. The styling
cues taken more from them will be a hit. For the older who
still prefer the older american looks, an excellent shape older
model will get the nod. It doesn't have to be a vette, any
car well maintained, garage queens, will alway spark an
interest.

They are moving to appeal to the ricers generations. Guess
have too, they are the ones with the coming buying power.

This is just yak yak for the forum. I think you will see typical
depreciation like decades past. My 06 will be 7 years old. That
is a friggin old car. It has 9k but still an old car. Shoot its at the
bottom now. LOL not much left to slide too. What will keep older
as a gleam in some eyes, its all they can afford. gm not going to
increase price BS, heck a base with just a 2 option will near 60K.
Get real, few can go there much less, near 70k or 100k

Last edited by texvette2; 03-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 443 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Marsh
There is a big difference between a 1997 or 1998 100k mile c5 and a low mile 2004 model or z06
I think we've seen the bottom half of c5 prices come close to stabilizing
Where else are you going to find a good looking, fun car with decent gas mileage for 10k,11k?

Now, if you're holding on to a 20k mile 2004 c5 or convertible you think is worth north of 18k, you're going to be in for a bath in the future as people look to trade up to the c6 from others trading to the c7
C6 prices will drop....more c5 in the market and a man with cash will be king

I still see c1,c2, c3, c4 prices dropping heavily
Who is left to buy one? Other than style and a few car guys who appreciate them, what redeeming qualities do they have?
The market is being flooded with nice muscle cars. A Corvette may demand a premium, but you have a lot of options when shopping

Supply and demand....I like to look at the demographic five years out that will have disposable money.
They won't want a pre 1997 Corvette
Meanwhile....the baby Boomer generation will continue to disappear
Garages around the country are going up for sale every day

I used to be in the muscle car restoration business and still know a lot of people in it. Their inventory is at record highs. They can't sell anything....
Wow you are right. Always wondered if I made a mistake. sold my 63 split window in 07 had it for 16 years. sold for $68,000 bought a new 07 convertible loved it. sold it with 7000 miles on it. It depreciated too much, missed my old one... restored a side pipe 67 Miranda blue with a blue top .[Both cars engines has been decked but date correct.}

Finished both to the stock perfect number 1 condition anyway just sold the 67 for $44,000[thats what I had in it } to a guy who managed the chevy dealership in Newark, Delaware Portor Chevrolet and traded up to a 08 Z06 jetstream blue with 400 miles on it.They got it from an estate sale in Georgia. Bought it for $53,000 with a full GM warrenty . I felt i beat the depreciation rate this time.
looking at ebay you can see how the midyears have gone down in price
got tired of working on old cars .Wife likes AC and we always ride together.
any way did you see the rear of the new vet if it realy looks
like a Camaro that might be the end of a good thing .
and yes the C6 Z could hold its value especially if they dont make the 427 anymore. Thanks RT

Last edited by rtruman; 03-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Future prices of used Corvettes.