Sponsored by:

Base vs Z51

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Base vs Z51

Although I've seen this topic debated many times on this forum and thought I was sure I wanted a 2LT Z51 coupe, I'm now unsure which way to go. I would like to track the car, but that now seems more complicated than I originally thought.

My insurance company doesn't allow tracking so supplemental insurance seems to run about $400 per event just for damage to the car, no liability insurance. To keep the warranty intact requires track prep and back to street. My local dealer said that costs $2500 for the two services. So, it all seems more trouble and cost than it's worth. Might be better off going to the Ron Fellows or other driving school from time to time.

So, if I don't track the car, should I get a base coupe? If I get the Z51, I would definitely also get the MRC. The MSRP for those two options is $6800. I don't mind paying that if I get benefit/value from it. If I get the base, I would still get the NPP exhaust, $1200 MSRP, which is included with the Z51.

My decision is mostly based on ride & handling. It will not be a daily driver. I would like to use the car for cross-country trips to include spirited driving on twisty mountain roads. I understand the base suspension is the most comfortable for highway cruising. Not too many reviews of the base model, but I recall a writer saying the base model bottomed too easily on rough spots in curves. The Z51 includes:

Split 5-spoke aluminum wheels in Sterling Silver (19" front and 20" rear); dry-sump oil system; performance gear ratios; e-LSD; larger front brakes (13.6" vs. 12.6") with Black calipers; slotted brake rotors; specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars; performance exhaust, differential and transmission cooling; heavy-duty engine cooling; Aero Package that reduces lift for high-speed stability; and specific Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport ZP summer-only tires18 (unique and aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability)

The wheels and spoiler aren't a big deal. I don't care about the dry-sump unless spirited mountain driving requires it. From what I've read the e-LSD makes a remarkable difference in handling, whether on the track or a rainy street. Don't know the value of heavy duty brakes, diff, tranny & engine cooling on the street, but it can't hurt. I've read here about the Z51 brake dust.

Even if I don't track it, would I still want the Z51 for hard mountain driving, probably nothing beyond what one would do with any typical sports car, i.e., Miata, 370Z, Boxster, Caymen? I don't want to regret not having ordered the Z51, but I also don't want to spend $5600 on something of little or no value to me. Any insights would be appreciated.

Those with a base model, are you satisfied with hard mountain driving and the handling in general? Is the suspension too soft for that? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Subscribing...
Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 424 Posts

The base suspension outperforms the C6 Grand Sport. I have not come close to the handling limits of my base car and don't expect to. After 2,500 miles - .8 g laterally and 100 mph. Satisfied!
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (07-27-2020)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
Those with a base model, are you satisfied with hard mountain driving and the handling in general? Is the suspension too soft for that? Thanks.
I've done a lot of spirited mountain driving in my base model and I couldn't be more happy with it. BTW, I drove Z51s with all the bells and whistles for 3 days at Ron Fellows Spring Mountain track. I'd choose Z51 if I was going to aggressively and regularly track the car, but I'm not. The base car is amazing!
The following 2 users liked this post by VETJAZZ:
dpb (11-27-2016), ptran00 (07-27-2020)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
If I get the Z51, I would definitely also get the MRC. My decision is mostly based on ride & handling. I understand the base suspension is the most comfortable for highway cruising. Not too many reviews of the base model, but I recall a writer saying the base model bottomed too easily on rough spots in curves.
When I was ordering mine I wasn't sure what to do, either. I knew I wanted the Z51 but I was unsure about whether I really needed the MSRC. Then a friend of mine who had a Z51 without the MSRC said his wife thought the ride was too rough. Finally, I just decided "screw it" - that it wasn't worth the risk of having my wife -or me, for that matter - unhappy with the ride. So I ordered it.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,201 Likes on 611 Posts
Tech Contributor

The base car will pull a G on the skidpad. But forums will make the car out to be a honda civic when pushed, and only the z51 will go around a turn. Just the way forums work.
The following 4 users liked this post by Glen e:
dpb (11-27-2016), Dpriceslc (06-08-2016), Junox (07-18-2017), ptran00 (07-27-2020)
Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

I drive in the "mountains" just off Malibu and absolutely love the handling in the twisties there. All of the good driving roads there were laid around 1900 or earlier as wagon/horse trails. I have no issues with my standard suspension whatsoever. I have found the limits and let's just say that it's more than .8g and 100 mph. Having said that, I noticed a big improvement after installing Z51 sized sway bars, so considering that the price difference is $4500 (6k minus npp cost minus sway bar cost).

I drove the cars at Ron Fellows and will say that if I drove a Z51 equipped car at it's limit on the street then I'd be doing hard time.
ptran00 (07-27-2020)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,601 Likes on 1,653 Posts

I'm quite satisfied with the base car, but I am one of those non-track driving, garage squattin', weekend polishing, go just a wee bit above the speed limit kinda guys...
The following 5 users liked this post by LIE2ME:
Dpriceslc (06-08-2016), Junox (07-18-2017), ptran00 (07-27-2020), rogergcam (11-26-2016), woodsguy (07-24-2016)
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Something seems wrong with that $2500 for two services.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BIC
Although I've seen this topic debated many times on this forum and thought I was sure I wanted a 2LT Z51 coupe, I'm now unsure which way to go. I would like to track the car, but that now seems more complicated than I originally thought.

My insurance company doesn't allow tracking so supplemental insurance seems to run about $400 per event just for damage to the car, no liability insurance. To keep the warranty intact requires track prep and back to street. My local dealer said that costs $2500 for the two services. So, it all seems more trouble and cost than it's worth. Might be better off going to the Ron Fellows or other driving school from time to time.

So, if I don't track the car, should I get a base coupe? If I get the Z51, I would definitely also get the MRC. The MSRP for those two options is $6800. I don't mind paying that if I get benefit/value from it. If I get the base, I would still get the NPP exhaust, $1200 MSRP, which is included with the Z51.

My decision is mostly based on ride & handling. It will not be a daily driver. I would like to use the car for cross-country trips to include spirited driving on twisty mountain roads. I understand the base suspension is the most comfortable for highway cruising. Not too many reviews of the base model, but I recall a writer saying the base model bottomed too easily on rough spots in curves. The Z51 includes:

Split 5-spoke aluminum wheels in Sterling Silver (19" front and 20" rear); dry-sump oil system; performance gear ratios; e-LSD; larger front brakes (13.6" vs. 12.6") with Black calipers; slotted brake rotors; specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars; performance exhaust, differential and transmission cooling; heavy-duty engine cooling; Aero Package that reduces lift for high-speed stability; and specific Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport ZP summer-only tires18 (unique and aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability)

The wheels and spoiler aren't a big deal. I don't care about the dry-sump unless spirited mountain driving requires it. From what I've read the e-LSD makes a remarkable difference in handling, whether on the track or a rainy street. Don't know the value of heavy duty brakes, diff, tranny & engine cooling on the street, but it can't hurt. I've read here about the Z51 brake dust.

Even if I don't track it, would I still want the Z51 for hard mountain driving, probably nothing beyond what one would do with any typical sports car, i.e., Miata, 370Z, Boxster, Caymen? I don't want to regret not having ordered the Z51, but I also don't want to spend $5600 on something of little or no value to me. Any insights would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're leaning towards a non-51. Nothing wrong with that. For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents.

I own a '15 Z51. I haven't noticed any excess brake dust, then again I have black wheels and wash my car regularly. But if a 1" difference in brakes size really does make that much difference in brake dust (and I have my doubts), you always have the option to switch to higher quality brake pads... no biggie. And of course larger brakes equate to better stopping performance. The braking performance on my car is outstanding. Of course if you live in a city, or get caught in stop & go traffic regularly, you will probably will see more brake dust. Then again, under these driving conditions, most cars will.

Since you've been reading these Z-51 vs Non-Z51 threads I'm sure you've noticed certain people will champion their decision (sometimes rigorously and argumentatively), one way or the other. You may have also noticed that some non-Z51 owners spend money on certain Z51 features such as the larger wheels & tires, sway bars, etc.

Also if the MRC is something you may want, you'll need to order the Z51 package. I enjoy the MRC features, and also like the idea of having the Electronic Differential and Differential Cooler.

I don't plan to track my C7 but do plan to sign up for the Ron Fellows course, and I really do enjoy having the Z51 goodies when I'm on twisty back roads. For me, it's nice to know the goodies are there if I want them, and if I wouldn't have bought a Z51 I probably would have always wondered how much better the car would have handled if I did.

As for comfort, my Z51 is plenty comfortable enough in the Tour Mode. Then again, if comfort was high on my priority list I would have bought a Caddy, not a Corvette.

I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other, just providing my opinions. Buy what suits you best, and whatever you buy I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
I drove the cars at Ron Fellows and will say that if I drove a Z51 equipped car at it's limit on the street then I'd be doing hard time.
Well said!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, your reasoning is exactly in line with mine. Here's what pushed it over the edge for me: I am probably not going down this path again - probably my last "performance over comfort" vehicle. I have driven a lot of very good handling cars and owned, in my option, two versions of one of the best handling cars for the money - a miata. But no guts. So I want gut and handling this time. If the Z51 package gets me closer to the feel of the miata (as much as it can with an additional 600 to 1000 lbs in curb weight) then I am all for it. I do like the wheels better than on the base, and wanted the performance exhaust. Just seemed like it was a no brainier to get the Z51 package. From there, another 1800 for the mag ride was pretty easy because I love the technology. For a relatively small percentage in the overall price of the car, I am getting what I want. Besides, if I ever go to sell it (probably not for a while), it will be an easier sale as it will appeal to a larger segment of those looking. That usually translates into a few more bucks to enjoy after I have enjoyed having these options. It was a no brainer for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

First, and it might seem nitpicky, there are two models of a C7; Stingray and Z06. There is no "base" model and the Z51 isn't a model.

I raced my C6 a lot so I have experience at high speed (up to 165 mph) for long distances. When I decided to trade it on a C7 I decided I wanted a convertible, which I can't race, so I had the same decision to make. I decided I didn't need all the Z51 option package includes, nor did I need to pay for all of it even though cost wasn't a huge consideration, so I didn't get it.

I still do some very "spirited" driving, including some very twisty, deserted mountain roads near where we live, and I'm perfectly fine without the Z51 option. It handles rock solid at 1.0 g in turns. I did opt for NPP, not for any perceived performance gains, but because it sounds awesome. I have 5,000 miles on mine now and have never once thought "Gee, I wish I'd gotten the Z51 option."

Anyone with a Z51 that wants to come out here and drive some of the mountain roads here is welcome. I can guarantee you that you will not leave me behind in my "base" car.

All that said, you'll get lots of different opinions on this. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Steve_R; 01-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve_R:
AdventurePoser (11-27-2016), Junox (07-18-2017), Philr56 (06-06-2016), ptran00 (07-27-2020)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:21 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

What Steve said!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have always had Corvettes with the upgraded handling packages, either Z51 or mag ride. As the 2015 is not available with mag ride as a stand alone package I went with the "base" car. I will be adding the Z51 anti sway bars for a bit more stability in cornering. And as was noted earlier the Stingray in its "base" form out handles the C6's Z51 package.
And , as has been noted in the forum, the dry sump system is driving the dealers nuts do to the oil fill. Easy fix, though, just do it yourself.
If you can afford the Z51 with mag ride I would do it. You get all the bells and whistles, most likely a higher resale, better wheels. The Z51 wheels are forged as opposed to cast wheels on the "base" car, both cars come with summer only performance tires. While the Z51's tires are a bit sticker, and designed for the car.
I chose base do to age, slowed reflexes ( still faster than most of my friends ), and ride comfort. My wife and I like to cruise with the top off. She gets a wee bit nervous when I take 40 mph corners at 75 or so, in this case I go by myself and try not to get to rambunctious.
Best wishes to you on your decision. Hopefully, the forum boys will not screw up your thoughts on this to much.

Last edited by rcooper; 01-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 PM
BIC
Pro

Originally Posted by JCar
OP, your reasoning is exactly in line with mine. Here's what pushed it over the edge for me: I am probably not going down this path again - probably my last "performance over comfort" vehicle. I have driven a lot of very good handling cars and owned, in my option, two versions of one of the best handling cars for the money - a miata. But no guts. So I want gut and handling this time. If the Z51 package gets me closer to the feel of the miata (as much as it can with an additional 600 to 1000 lbs in curb weight) then I am all for it. I do like the wheels better than on the base, and wanted the performance exhaust. Just seemed like it was a no brainier to get the Z51 package. From there, another 1800 for the mag ride was pretty easy because I love the technology. For a relatively small percentage in the overall price of the car, I am getting what I want. Besides, if I ever go to sell it (probably not for a while), it will be an easier sale as it will appeal to a larger segment of those looking. That usually translates into a few more bucks to enjoy after I have enjoyed having these options. It was a no brainer for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
I early traded my 2009 Miata with the Suspension Package for my C7 on order (I can still make order changes for the next few weeks or so). I did love the handling on the Miata and hope I love the C7 as much. Yes, this may be my last performance over comfort vehicle too, hard to say. Yes, the Z51 will add 7-8% to the cost of the car. Guess not much in the big scheme.

Any thoughts from other Miata owners moving to the C7?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 PM
BIC
Pro

Can somebody clarify some info in the 2015 brochure? It lists the curb weight of the "base" and the Z51 coupe as the same, 3298. For 0-60, lists the "base" at 4.0 sec; the Z51 is 3.7 for A8 or 3.8 for M7.

Why only one 0-60 for the "base" but two for the Z51? Why is the Z51 0.2 or 0.3 faster in 0-60, does the NPP exhaust 5 HP make that difference?

There's only a 3% difference on the skid pad; 1.00 g vs 1.03 g.

Get notified of new replies

To Base vs Z51

Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave
Sounds like you're leaning towards a non-51. Nothing wrong with that. For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents.

I own a '15 Z51. I haven't noticed any excess brake dust, then again I have black wheels and wash my car regularly. But if a 1" difference in brakes size really does make that much difference in brake dust (and I have my doubts), you always have the option to switch to higher quality brake pads... no biggie. And of course larger brakes equate to better stopping performance. The braking performance on my car is outstanding. Of course if you live in a city, or get caught in stop & go traffic regularly, you will probably will see more brake dust. Then again, under these driving conditions, most cars will.

Since you've been reading these Z-51 vs Non-Z51 threads I'm sure you've noticed certain people will champion their decision (sometimes rigorously and argumentatively), one way or the other. You may have also noticed that some non-Z51 owners spend money on certain Z51 features such as the larger wheels & tires, sway bars, etc.

Also if the MRC is something you may want, you'll need to order the Z51 package. I enjoy the MRC features, and also like the idea of having the Electronic Differential and Differential Cooler.

I don't plan to track my C7 but do plan to sign up for the Ron Fellows course, and I really do enjoy having the Z51 goodies when I'm on twisty back roads. For me, it's nice to know the goodies are there if I want them, and if I wouldn't have bought a Z51 I probably would have always wondered how much better the car would have handled if I did.

As for comfort, my Z51 is plenty comfortable enough in the Tour Mode. Then again, if comfort was high on my priority list I would have bought a Caddy, not a Corvette.

I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other, just providing my opinions. Buy what suits you best, and whatever you buy I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.
Good review Rave. From the price point I like everything about the cost and aesthetic looks. Add the NPP and MSRC and you are set. You wont get "buyers remorse" with this purchase. It's the best and all trades have backed it up. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 201 Posts

Better spend it on a Z51 if you think you'll miss out. Me, the 3LT Brownstone interior was more important then a firmer suspension.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Base model + $300 for front and rear Z51 sway bars (plus installation if you don't do it yourself) = One heck of a bargain
Eff A Ford (11-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Base vs Z51