Sponsored by:

Base vs. NPP Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,596 Posts
Default Base vs. NPP Exhaust?

I have replaced the exhaust system on almost every vehicle (cars, trucks, & motorcycles) that I've ever own(ed). I know that I'll probably do the same w/the C7.

I really like the NPP sound and appearance (4" tips), but the actuators/valves would not be a feature that I would ever use. I'm certain that I would pull the fuse to leave the valves open for the most aggressive tone.

Questions:

I presume that the base system does not have the actuators. As such, would it be better to get the base system and just replace with Corsa, Borla, or MagnaFlow (preference on the former).

Is there anything else that is different with the axle-back portion of the two systems aside from the tips, canisters (mufflers), and the actuators? I assume that the NPP is more opened (less baffles or packing material) to generate better flow for the additional 5 hp?

Are the mid-pipes the same- width, mandrel bending, and material- stainless steel or aluminized?

Also, those who have modified their exhaust- what is preferred: replacing just the axle-backs, or going with a cat-back system?

Lastly, I've read that a few owners have replaced the H-pipe (I assuming "H") with the X-pipe. X-pipes tend to be a little more raspy (higher pitch) where the H-pipe is more throaty (lower/deeper tone). I generally prefer the H, but wondering if the X is more desired for the C7. Maybe better flow...?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I have replaced the exhaust system on almost every vehicle (cars, trucks, & motorcycles) that I've ever own(ed). I know that I'll probably do the same w/the C7.

I really like the NPP sound and appearance (4" tips), but the actuators/valves would not be a feature that I would ever use. I'm certain that I would pull the fuse to leave the valves open for the most aggressive tone.

Questions:

I presume that the base system does not have the actuators. As such, would it be better to get the base system and just replace with Corsa, Borla, or MagnaFlow (preference on the former).

Is there anything else that is different with the axle-back portion of the two systems aside from the tips, canisters (mufflers), and the actuators? I assume that the NPP is more opened (less baffles or packing material) to generate better flow for the additional 5 hp?

Are the mid-pipes the same- width, mandrel bending, and material- stainless steel or aluminized?

Also, those who have modified their exhaust- what is preferred: replacing just the axle-backs, or going with a cat-back system?

Lastly, I've read that a few owners have replaced the H-pipe (I assuming "H") with the X-pipe. X-pipes tend to be a little more raspy (higher pitch) where the H-pipe is more throaty (lower/deeper tone). I generally prefer the H, but wondering if the X is more desired for the C7. Maybe better flow...?

Thanks
From what I have seen and read you can force the NPP exhaust to whatever you want through the vehicle settings. So if you want loud all the time it's doable. Past that I can't answer any of your questions. In loud mode the systems sounds awesome!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I replaced the stock system on my C6 wsithin the 1st 3k miles, and regreted it every time I got to 1450 rpm in 6th gear, the drone was miserable. I have the NPP on my C7 and really like it as I can select the tone I want.
That said, it seems to me that the choice is all yours. I don't think I would personally be up for an aftermarket system.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Go NPP
The following users liked this post:
Keithwinnfl (06-06-2020)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:14 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

The 2 must have (s) for me is #1) A8, #2) NPP.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:55 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by C2367
The 2 must have (s) for me is #1) A8, #2) NPP.
Agree with #2 for sure!
As for #1, disagree: M7 for me...I'm old school and don't care about a couple of tenths at the drag strip since I don't do that anymore...just like being more involved with the car...
Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 469 Likes on 252 Posts

I went with the Flowmaster axleback, sounds great. Best sounding Corvette exhaust I have ever had and I have had Borla, B&B, Corsa, Magnaflow, etc....

Only drawback is that without a tune it goes in to 4 cylinder mode (in automatic tranny cars) and sounds harsh once in a while.
However, if you pull the fuse on the NPP it will do this also and probably sound just as bad if you have the automatic.

You can avoid this by paddle shifting in M or by hitting the paddles in D when it does this, but I have found it is not that bad, better than having no sound of Base or having your NPP go completely silent in 4 cylinder mode.

If you go on YouTube I have lots of videos under C7 Flowmaster by Howard G.

My favorite one is the one where I bicker with my wife to hold the camera.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:38 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Old 01-10-2015, 08:39 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Thanks. So the only difference between the two exhaust systems is just the axle-back portion; everything else from the manifold back is the same?

Edit:

Yello3- I checked out the YouTube Flowmaster clips. Sounds good. Didn't see anything specific to you, unless your name is Howad G.

C7Jake- Great sounding set-up. Is it just an axle-back?

BTW- I'll be getting the 7 speed.

Last edited by sTz; 01-10-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:10 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I was on the fence about the NPP as well, as I usually buy a Corsa or some other exhaust depending on the car. I ultimately bought it, and I must say, best money I have spent. The sound is everything I wanted it to be, and the ability to quiet it on long freeway drives is a blessing in disguise. The car can be very loud overall depending on road quality, and being able to eliminate one level of noise while cruising on a highway is nice. Besides it opens right back up if you step on it to pass something.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Thanks. So the only difference between the two exhaust systems is just the axle-back portion; everything else from the manifold back is the same?

Edit:

Yello3- I checked out the YouTube Flowmaster clips. Sounds good. Didn't see anything specific to you, unless your name is Howad G.

BTW- I'll be getting the 7 speed.
Howard G is me.

Also, if you are getting an manual tranny, NPP will always stay open and Flowmaster will not go in to 4 cylinder mode unless you put in in Economy Mode, which you will never do.

I would pretty much guarantee the Flowmaster will sound better, but I would probably go NPP as it is Factory.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:37 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

M7...AFM valves intact..stainless pipe...project cost $500
mirror polished 4.5" double wall custom tips

Last edited by C8Jake; 01-10-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:59 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Some of us feel the NPP is to quiet.So we go with aftermarket.Me I went with B&B.It's the
Best move that I could have made.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I had NPP on my last 2. No way for the next one. I'll do a custom exhaust and have cash left over.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:37 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C7Jake
M7...AFM valves intact..stainless pipe...project cost $500
mirror polished 4.5" double wall custom...
Nice!

I like loud, but not the drone... Typically a muffler delete set-up will have some resonation at certain RPMs. How bad is it...?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:54 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yell03
Howard G is me.

Also, if you are getting an manual tranny, NPP will always stay open and Flowmaster will not go in to 4 cylinder mode unless you put in in Economy Mode, which you will never do.

I would pretty much guarantee the Flowmaster will sound better, but I would probably go NPP as it is Factory.
Good to know. Thanks!

I'm really putting a lot of thought into the exhaust of this car- More so than the others... I'd like to match the sound with the cars appearance. While the NPP sounds good, I think the exhaust could sound better without being too obnoxious, which isn't necessarily bad.

I'm always looking for the perfect sound. I've wasted a lot of money in past in this pursuit- Just trying to get it right the first time.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Good to know. Thanks!

I'm really putting a lot of thought into the exhaust of this car- More so than the others... I'd like to match the sound with the cars appearance. While the NPP sounds good, I think the exhaust could sound better without being too obnoxious, which isn't necessarily bad.

I'm always looking for the perfect sound. I've wasted a lot of money in past in this pursuit- Just trying to get it right the first time.
Go Flowmaster, loud enough that you can always hear them, but no drone.
The price is right also.
You won't regret it.

If you try hard enough and stay at a certain rpm you can get some drone, but I've never had a problem avoiding it.
Any exhaust that has ZERO drone also has inadequate cruising volume.

Last edited by yell03; 01-10-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Base vs. NPP Exhaust?

Quick Reply: Base vs. NPP Exhaust?