Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 PM
lewisstephens
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Convertible Top Problems

I picked up my new '16 convertible from a local dealer on June 3rd and by June 8th the top had stopped functioning.
It has been at the dealership ever since.
They have replaced the pump and went through the electronics top to bottom and the nether the dealer nor the Chevy service tech heads in Michigan have any idea to date what the the problem is.
The last time I raised it, the top slapped down hard enough be alarming. I tried to drop the top the next morning to drive to work and it would start to retract and then stop. It did closed properly and I took it to the dealer the next day to have it serviced.
They couldn't get it to operate and sent me home with it till the following Monday. They have had it ever since.
Anyone have any problems like this?
It has started to get aggravating. You wouldn't think a $84K car would break down this way in just four days.
This is my fifth Corvette and the only one to give me problems like this.The others just went in for service.
If I knew how the lemon laws worked, I think I would try that. I don't trust it right now not to strand me with a top down and a rain shower heading my way.
By the way, the dealership has been great. Lots of communication. They just don't know what is wrong with it and as I said, neither does They.

Any Ideas??

Lewis
Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,203 Likes on 2,689 Posts

My top always comes down rather forcefully.

That said, has anybody tried indexing the windows?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 240 Posts

I was gonna say... The top on mine comes down rather hard as well, but it has done so possibly hundreds of times by now. Wish I had ideas for you, but indexing the top and windows was thing only thing I've ever had to do when it didn't go, and that was a result of unhooking the battery.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 AM
lewisstephens
Instructor

I've been talking to the service manager twice a day. I'll ask him about "indexing" the windows.
But first, I am going to need to do a search and find out what that means. LOL

Lewis

Last edited by lewisstephens; 06-21-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 AM
lewisstephens
Instructor

OK, now I know what it means to "Index the Windows". The Chevy rep had me do that when I called in the first time.

Thanks,

Lewis
Old 06-21-2017, 07:36 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

are you getting any message in DIC just asking partition is in the right place?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM
shakinrock
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Regarding indexing, on my C6 vert, I could see the windows move up and down slightly as I opened then closed the door.

On my C7 vert I have not noticed the windows moving when I open and close the door. Is this normal? Maybe they move so slightly I have never noticed. I'll look closer. I have no other symptoms.

Also I'll chime I that my top slams down as well. This can't be good and I just hope that it will take a million closings before something brakes.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 AM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by shakinrock
Regarding indexing, on my C6 vert, I could see the windows move up and down slightly as I opened then closed the door.

On my C7 vert I have not noticed the windows moving when I open and close the door. Is this normal? Maybe they move so slightly I have never noticed. I'll look closer. I have no other symptoms.

Also I'll chime I that my top slams down as well. This can't be good and I just hope that it will take a million closings before something brakes.
windows moving is normal
Old 06-21-2017, 08:01 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine slaps hard in the locking process, but no problems to date. Hope you get her back soon in working order.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:27 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts

I reach up and buffer the slam with my hand. Why invite problems??
The following 2 users liked this post by pbergmann:
funx600 (06-21-2017), Rebel Yell (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM
NewfieC5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbergmann
I reach up and buffer the slam with my hand. Why invite problems??
I do as well.

The only time I have problems lowering the top is when using the remote. Often it just stops partway. Signal gets interrupted? Was yours just stopping and wouldn't continue when you pressed switch again? Possible switch or ground problem? Suspect if the heads techs at GM are on it they've covered the obvious.

Just curious. How long was this car on the dealer's lot? How many miles were on it when you bought it? I would be wondering if the dealer was aware of the problem at the time of sale.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
My top always comes down rather forcefully.

That said, has anybody tried indexing the windows?
with Lisa. It sounds just like the top on my previous C6 when the windows weren't indexing. Just make sure they are, or you will never get it fixed. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's how the these Vettes are. Good luck.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 PM
washgsxr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your partition in the back it has a sensor on it, and it has to be connected. it separates the trunk and convertible top.

Last edited by washgsxr; 06-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 453 Likes on 315 Posts

I checked mine today (2017).

Both open or close the top moves very smoothly. It is not closing very hard or fast at all.

The top mechanism is controlled by hydraulic cylinders. If the top is closing too hard or fast it could be a flow control problem where the oil is moving too quickly into the actuator.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 622 Likes on 424 Posts

I am on my second C7 convertible, both tops cycle about the same. The new 2017 was a little nosier when the latches open and close than the 2014. After about twenty cycles the latches quieted down.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,879 Likes on 2,097 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

C7 slams compared to the C6. I reach up and cushion the hit and it locks fine.

Tons of relays and sensors on the darn thing that need to work. Sounds like you got it indexed and have insured that the rear partition is solidly in place.

Dealer will figure it out or get help from GM.

Hang in there.

Elmer
Old 06-21-2017, 06:45 PM
lewisstephens
Instructor

Originally Posted by shakinrock

My windows were going down inch or so when I opened the door. At least that's normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Problems

Old 06-21-2017, 06:49 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,879 Likes on 2,097 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lewisstephens
My windows were going down inch or so when I opened the door. At least that's normal.
Really? I doubt my windows drop more than a 1/4" when I open the door.

Elmer
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 PM
lewisstephens
Instructor

Originally Posted by NewfieC5
I do as well.

The only time I have problems lowering the top is when using the remote. Often it just stops partway. Signal gets interrupted? Was yours just stopping and wouldn't continue when you pressed switch again? Possible switch or ground problem? Suspect if the heads techs at GM are on it they've covered the obvious.

Just curious. How long was this car on the dealer's lot? How many miles were on it when you bought it? I would be wondering if the dealer was aware of the problem at the time of sale.
It was on the lot about three weeks. I don't where it was before that. It had "0" miles on it in the dealer video and 4 miles when I bought it.
I don't think they were aware of it. I'm getting calls from service manager and general manager called last night.
I'm happy with dealer so far. Just not real happy with convertible top.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:52 PM
lewisstephens
Instructor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Really? I doubt my windows drop more than a 1/4" when I open the door.

Elmer
That's what I remember but then I haven't seen in a week and a half

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problems