Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 05:45 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 700 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Crystal Red-MD
Squirrelchew.. I have a ‘17 GS and was looking to change the battery as I believe it is the original… I just got the car Dec ‘22…your pic matches what I see with mine…. (Catalog No. 08/replace modele 48/cca(en) 565/cca(sae) 615). Is this a pic of your original battery (what year is yours)?
I just replaced the original battery (AC Delco 48PS - 615 CCA)) in my '17 GS this week. Still cranked fine but at 6 years old I thought it was time. I went with the AC Delco 48GHR (770 CCA).

The following users liked this post:
Black Rose-MD (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 06:02 PM
Black Rose-MD
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako72
I just replaced the original battery (AC Delco 48PS - 615 CCA)) in my '17 GS this week. Still cranked fine but at 6 years old I thought it was time. I went with the AC Delco 48GHR (770 CCA).

Thanks Mako72!… was almost certain I still had the original in mine and I’m sure what’s covered in my pic is the same battery. Yep, same here with the 6 yr mark (no starting issues) but wanting to go forward with “new”.
Have an appt Thursday at the dealer to get a new battery…they did say it was a 42 month battery they have but will double check that it could be the same 770CCA…. Yes, I could prob change myself (have changed batteries in my Toyota and old Escalade but don’t feel like fighting with this one…
Thanks for your input and pics!
Old 04-16-2023, 06:30 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

The original 48PS AC Delco battery will have two vent holes. One is for the vent tube and the other hole will have a white plastic plug. Make sure they install the plug from the original battery into the new battery on the end opposite from the vent tube hole. The dealer's computer showed the 48GHR to be a 615 CCA battery but it is actually 770 CCA.
Black Rose-MD (04-16-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:05 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,878 Likes on 2,096 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Looking at post #22, if you'll notice there is a spare red vent plug hanging on the red positive post cover. You do not need to extract the plug from the old battery, just detach the new red plug and ram it home in the side of the new replacement battery.

Elmer
The following 3 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
Borntorun04/17 (04-17-2023), Leroyt10 (04-17-2023), Mako72 (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:37 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Looking at post #22, if you'll notice there is a spare red vent plug hanging on the red positive post cover. You do not need to extract the plug from the old battery, just detach the new red plug and ram it home in the side of the new replacement battery.

Elmer
Elmer, I wasn't aware of that.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:58 PM
Vettefanboii
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Crystal Red-MD
Thanks Mako72!… was almost certain I still had the original in mine and I’m sure what’s covered in my pic is the same battery. Yep, same here with the 6 yr mark (no starting issues) but wanting to go forward with “new”.
Have an appt Thursday at the dealer to get a new battery…they did say it was a 42 month battery they have but will double check that it could be the same 770CCA…. Yes, I could prob change myself (have changed batteries in my Toyota and old Escalade but don’t feel like fighting with this one…
Thanks for your input and pics!
I have a 17 GS on the original battery that is also cranking fine still but I don’t want to wait any longer… I made an appointment with the dealer in a few days… just curious how much were you quoted for your battery and install? I believe im getting the same battery as well. Will it still be compatible with the OEM trickle charger for the winter?
Old 09-06-2023, 02:06 AM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,552 Likes on 885 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

According to the Parts Department, the elbow and vent tube are packaged separately from the battery.

The Parts Guys are supposed to pull them out when they pull the battery. I found this out when I got home and realized I was missing them. I called and the Parts Guy forgot to pull them. Check before you leave, that you got them.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:38 AM
Black Rose-MD
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettefanboii
I have a 17 GS on the original battery that is also cranking fine still but I don’t want to wait any longer… I made an appointment with the dealer in a few days… just curious how much were you quoted for your battery and install? I believe im getting the same battery as well. Will it still be compatible with the OEM trickle charger for the winter?
Back in April was charged $198 + $85 install + tax.... I use a CTEK trickle charger (used on previous "14 I had) from Amazon with no issues so the OEM I will say is not a problem either.
Vettefanboii (09-08-2023)
Old 03-16-2024, 04:45 AM
Corvette Miro
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

While adding sound deadening in the back, I noticed the vent tube was disconnected from the battery. The dealer had replaced the battery prior to my purchase, but I hadn't thought to confirm if it was installed correctly. As you can see in pic #1, the tube was loose, but it also did not have the 90-degree elbow on it. Unfortunately even after buying a new vent tube kit I was still not able to plug in the battery, and I didn't want to proceed to mess things up even worse. I hope someone can help with the questions below, who has installed these batteries previously.

- Should I be removing the red plug on the side, or does that indicate that this is a sealed battery? (I find it odd that it would have a hole to begin with if it was that type, and all the batteries I've installed before didn't have vent holes.)

- If I should remove the red plug in order to insert the vent tube, is there some trick to it, or do I just jam needle nose pliers and pull it out?

- In this thread, folks are talking about a vent hole on the opposite side of the battery, that should be capped with a red cap that comes with the battery. Is that hole located under the distribution block shown in picture 4, or elsewhere? I couldn't visually see any other hole, whether capped or uncapped.

Here's how things came from the dealer -- just a tube, no elbow:

OK, no big deal I looked around to buy just the elbow, but no dice -- so I ended up buying the whole vent tube assembly (p/n 84309791) off of Amazon.
However, after replacing the elbow, I realized that the elbow does not fit into the hole because there's some red stopper/plug installed:

I tried taking a photo of the red plug that happens to have a hole on it. I couldn't get the camera far enough away, but you can at least see kinda/sorta how it looks like from the side:

I also tried looking for the opposing vent hole referenced in this thread, but couldn't see one. However, there's that large power distribution block on the positive terminal, obscuring everything underneath it. Is that where the vent hole is located, and if so, should it be plugged once I install the vent tube on the other side?

Maxpowers (03-18-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 07:12 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 324 Posts

Pull the red plug out and insert the elbow, check that the other side has a plug in its hole.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tinkertech:
76-Vetteman (03-16-2024), RonC7 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:14 AM
76-Vetteman
Burning Brakes

Received 688 Likes on 382 Posts

Yes, you'll need to carefully remove the red plug and set it aside. You can do so by using a small screwdriver to pry it away from the body and then using needle nose pliers to extract it from the battery. The vent tube can then be installed.

Batteries are shipped with both vent holes plugged. Unfortunately, to confirm the other vent is plugged you'll need to remove the positive terminal block for access. Should you decide to remove the positive terminal block for inspection, please follow battery safety tip #1. Remove and shield the negative/ground cable first before wrenching on the positive terminal. This will save a lot of excitement.

Good luck.. I've had to do this before. It's not a lot of fun.

The following 2 users liked this post by 76-Vetteman:
Corvette Miro (03-16-2024), Factoid (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 03:38 PM
Corvette Miro
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76-Vetteman
Yes, you'll need to carefully remove the red plug and set it aside. You can do so by using a small screwdriver to pry it away from the body and then using needle nose pliers to extract it from the battery. The vent tube can then be installed.

Batteries are shipped with both vent holes plugged. Unfortunately, to confirm the other vent is plugged you'll need to remove the positive terminal block for access. Should you decide to remove the positive terminal block for inspection, please follow battery safety tip #1. Remove and shield the negative/ground cable first before wrenching on the positive terminal. This will save a lot of excitement.

Good luck.. I've had to do this before. It's not a lot of fun.
Thank you sir. I'll definitely check the other side since I have no faith that it's been installed properly, given how things look like on the vent tube side.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
103FamilyRacing
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Put in an Antigravity Li-Ion battery and call it a day! No need to vent, much much lighter, longer lasting, and you can never get stranded because of a dead battery. They shut off before they die, so you press the button on top of the battery and it turns it back on with enough juice for one more start and you can always get home.
Ive been running one in my Corvette race car for years and love it! wont use anything else.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:23 AM
Corvette Miro
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 103FamilyRacing
Put in an Antigravity Li-Ion battery and call it a day! No need to vent, much much lighter, longer lasting, and you can never get stranded because of a dead battery. They shut off before they die, so you press the button on top of the battery and it turns it back on with enough juice for one more start and you can always get home.
Ive been running one in my Corvette race car for years and love it! wont use anything else.
I looked up the batteries you suggested. My apologies, but after purchasing the car -- and it needing mechanical fixes just a few months after -- I am now a poor

Maybe in a few years after I recover from the sticker shock, and this brand-new battery has had a chance to provide a useful service life! Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know those existed.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:56 AM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I'd never heard of that battery either. Looked it up. Wow; that's a heck of a price. No doubt it's a heck of a battery!
Old 03-19-2024, 01:07 PM
103FamilyRacing
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Miro
I looked up the batteries you suggested. My apologies, but after purchasing the car -- and it needing mechanical fixes just a few months after -- I am now a poor

Maybe in a few years after I recover from the sticker shock, and this brand-new battery has had a chance to provide a useful service life! Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know those existed.
"I am now a poor" 😂 Everyone gets turned off by the price, it's twice as much as a normal battery but it last about twice as long so in the long run its no more expensive. About a 10 year life with normal use on these Li-Ion batteries. I've had mine in my race car for years and never a single issue, even after months of winter storage.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:31 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 407 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 103FamilyRacing
"I am now a poor" 😂 Everyone gets turned off by the price, it's twice as much as a normal battery but it last about twice as long so in the long run its no more expensive. About a 10 year life with normal use on these Li-Ion batteries. I've had mine in my race car for years and never a single issue, even after months of winter storage.
Had no idea such a battery was available for the C7. Certainly worth considering. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: C7 Battery Vent