C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Buying C7 Z06.. what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 PM
AmarFR
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Buying C7 Z06.. what to look out for?

I tried searching the forums guys, (also couldn't find my old login information)!

I had posted before, talking about whether or not to buy a C7 Z06 and decided against it, fast forward about 1 year, and now I am in the process of lemon'ing my car.

If I don't track my car, is there any inherent risks to daily driving this car? It "seems" there are plenty of issues with them if I'm only going off what I'm reading on these forums regarding overheating (only track use though) and automatic shudder (i'm buying a A8).

I'm looking into a 16' Z06 3LZ near me with 4,000 miles, but am worried about the issues, I will have a warranty thankfully but I guess what I'm trying to say is assurance would be needed because for the first time after dealing with a car that ALWAYS needed to be fixed, I've learned to not impulse buy.

Last edited by AmarFR; 07-01-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,860 Likes on 3,227 Posts

A8 Z06 do not have the TC issues the LT1 cars have had.

ps GM engineers at Carlisle (overheard I should say) were adamant that it's the fluid. The new fluid triple flush has cured this.

other than that nothing that all don't suffer from like paint chipping at panel contact and front fender inserts etc.

car is a supercar for Cadillac sedan money. Can't beat it good luck.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-02-2017 at 10:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TCRVETTES (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,037 Likes on 5,384 Posts

Not tracking, then there aren't any issues with the A8 Z06 other than learning proper right foot control.

Bill
Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Default No Solution For TC Failures

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
A8 Z06 do not have the TC issues the LT1 cars have had.

ps GM engineers at Carlisle (overheard I should say) were adamant that it's the fluid. The new fluid triple flush has cured this.

other than that nothing that all don't suffer from like paint chipping at panel contact and front fender inserts etc.

car is a supercar for Cadillac sedan money. Can't beat it good luck.
While I was at Carlisle this year I spoke with a high level manager (I won’t identify the functional area) from Bowling Green. As we discussed the TC problem he said hold on, he then dialed up a very high level executive in Detroit. That person then told both us that GM does not know exactly what causes the TC failures. I started the discussion by saying that if I knew the three fluid change was the actual solution, I would pay for it out of pocket. He said, don’t do it.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 10-03-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:23 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

One of first (if not 'the' first) A8's delivered in Feb 2015, with Halltech CAI and Katech TB. Daily driver,7,700 miles now (including a little track time) and zero issues. One annoyance (rattle with AFM/4cyl mode) solved with bulletin/green SC belt fix. Overheating I believe is a track issue (or maybe guys who drive like they're on the track). We get 100 degree days here in the Mid West and I've never seen temps above 200*. I drive it all year round. Buy the car or not because you'd like one, not because of forum opinions, including mine. If you do, though, be careful with the right foot

Last edited by mikegaan; 10-03-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,860 Likes on 3,227 Posts

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
While I was at Carlisle this year I spoke with a high level manager (I won’t identify the functional area) from Bowling Green. As we discussed the TC problem he said hold on, he then dialed up a very high level executive in Detroit. That person then told both us that GM does not know exactly what causes the TC failures. I started the discussion by saying that if I knew the three fluid change was the actual solution, I would pay for it out of pocket. He said, don’t do it.
yeah? Goes completely against what Jeff Strausser told us. He was adamant that Ford and all these other companies including GM go through multiple ATF formula and viscosity changes over the life of a transmission so whoever you spoke with I wouldn't Dean as credible as the answer we got from Jeff and my personal opinion I have communicated with this gentleman via cell phone that he gave me on that day not saying you didn't speak to somebody and they didn't tell you that but there is my proof I have no problem identifying Jeff because he said it in front of six other people
just posting my experience at Carlisle this year

Get notified of new replies

To Buying C7 Z06.. what to look out for?

Quick Reply: Buying C7 Z06.. what to look out for?