C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer took my car on a joyride

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:25 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Dealer took my car on a joyride

I知 looking for some advice on how to handle what happened to my car while it was in getting the mag ride software update. I took my car in on Wednesday and thought it would be an hour to hour and a half job. The service adviser told me they were having an issue with their system and would take a bit longer and was advised by GM that the car must sit there for the eight hours or it might not work properly. No problem, I said. I didn稚 want any issues if that痴 what I had to do. The next day service adviser said the software didn稚 download properly and they noticed the service rear axle light came on in the dash. Took all day to figure out the problem and said it was due to the battery getting low while performing the update which triggered the light. They told me to call Friday and check on it. I called and they said it was all set and everything worked properly. I came in and upon seeing my car I notice bug guts on front bumper and hood and my outer exhaust tips were charcoal black (red flag). I brought it to them in pristine condition. When I知 paying my bill the cashier said I need to get gas as my gas light was on (red flag). I brought it in with at least 1/3 of a tank. I questioned the gas usage and she said the invoice showed the same mileage as when I brought in as when I知 leaving. Well, the first thing I check is the odometer and someone at the dealer drove it for 80 miles. I知 pissed off and all managers and service people are gone for the day. I left voice mails and expect a call Monday. I知 sorry for my long story but what should I expect from my dealer for their breach of trust? This car is my dream car and I treat it with such care.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:33 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if they admit driving they will say they needed to road test the vehicle....wait for it

its complete lies and bullshit but expect it
The following 3 users liked this post by pewter99:
Fastmikefree (07-28-2018), pjazz (07-30-2018), The Yav (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

So glad I have valet mode... ALWAYS turn it on when dropping it off at a dealership
Old 07-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,147 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
if they admit driving they will say they needed to road test the vehicle....wait for it

But wont dealers themselves say the car shouldn't be driven for about 8-12 hours after the update?

if so what is the test drive for?

they simply did a ferris bueller to this poor guy. If I was him I would raise hell. It might not get him anywhere but itll make a statement. I would at least do it so I can cause a scene so other customers are aware this is going on.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Black
I questioned the gas usage and she said the invoice showed the same mileage as when I brought in as when I知 leaving. Well, the first thing I check is the odometer and someone at the dealer drove it for 80 miles. I知 pissed off and all managers and service people are gone for the day. I left voice mails and expect a call Monday. I知 sorry for my long story but what should I expect from my dealer for their breach of trust? This car is my dream car and I treat it with such care.
Sorry to hear that. That's total B.S. A test drive is one thing but taking your car out & ragging on it for 80 miles is something else. SMH.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:19 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pewter99

They cant deny it. Mileage in recorded and mileage out was listed as same on invoice. The odometer showed 80 miles put on and I took a picture of that at dealership. I知 going to raise hell.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:22 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

That is unbelievable, what a disgrace, all you can do is notify them when u go for service that you know the odometer reading and that they are not allowed to drive your car without your consent
Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SuperdadZ06
That is unbelievable, what a disgrace, all you can do is notify them when u go for service that you know the odometer reading and that they are not allowed to drive your car without your consent
Honestly, I知 looking for a better response than that.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Is there a strip within 30 miles of the dealership? Sorry, it is a suck situation.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 PM
BobFic
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

this smells...
Old 07-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

They cant deny it. Mileage in recorded and mileage out was listed as same on invoice. The odometer showed 80 miles put on and I took a picture of that at dealership. I’m going to raise hell.

If you signed that invoice before checking the odometer, you consented to the mileage being what they stated, whether it was or wasn't. There isn't really anything you can do at this point, aside from making them aware that you know what they did.

Last edited by Satanspawn; 07-27-2018 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iw172 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:51 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

what kind of response do you want? Your the one whose car got taken for a joy ride and there really isnt much you can except make it clear next time what you expect.
The following 3 users liked this post by SuperdadZ06:
iw172 (07-28-2018), Mcrider (07-28-2018), Satanspawn (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

They cant deny it. Mileage in recorded and mileage out was listed as same on invoice. The odometer showed 80 miles put on and I took a picture of that at dealership. I’m going to raise hell.
They actually can deny it if you let the mileage fiction go without going back in and talking immediately to the service advisor and/or the service manager to get an accurate "mileage out" recorded on the repair order. For anyone else reading this, never accept your car back after service if the odometer reading isn't a match to the "mileage out" on the paperwork.

Still, you have some cards to play. There will almost certainly be a "satisfaction survey" sent to you about this. You might have the thought to just throw it away as useless, don't do that. You might also think you should just score "extremely dissatisfied" on every single line on the survey. Don't do that either. Read the questions, and give honest answers. Skip things that you have no opinion on (some ask if the bathrooms were clean, if you didn't go in the bathroom, don't answer that one). If you summarily answer every last question "extemely dissatisfied" or give them the lowest possible mark, your survey might get thrown out of the system.

If the survey has a phone number on it, call and see if you can be put in contact with the local GM representative, the guy who signs off and "pays" for your actual warranty repair. Deliver the survey to him personally, and tell him what happened. You can also try to contact the GM rep directly through GM, or possibly talk to the service manager at any dealership (even competitors for the one you went to).

Those surveys actually are important. The results can affect the prices the dealership pays for cars, the prices they pay for parts, and if there are enough bad surveys, there can be direct ramifications for the dealership.

Finally, and this seems obvious, don't go back to that dealership again for service.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 07-27-2018 at 08:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6_Racer_X:
97Black (07-27-2018), Satanspawn (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

uh,, post the name of the dealership to alert fellow NY people would be nice.
ladder13 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Satanspawn
If you signed that invoice before checking the odometer, you consented to the mileage being they stated, whether it was or wasn't. There isn't really anything you can do at this point, aside from making them aware that you know what they did.
Well there goes that.

Thankfully every time my Z was in the shop, i was there to monitor it.

When i did the 500 mile oil change, my tints, my xpipe install and most recently, my 4 tire swap with alignment. I was there waiting in person.

But if i hadn't, i would have definitely logged the miles. When i bought my wrx for a tire swap with a TPMS reset, the invoice said mileage in, mileage out, with the same mileage. But i was in the waiting room watching the whole thing, so there wasn't any test drive.

You can't sign papers without reading them, that should be the first thing you learn as an adult. With ANYTHING. Buying a car, a house etc. You always always have to read the paper before you sign. It's a legal document.

Right now you can't do anything because you signed the paperwork stating the mileage is correct. And the fact you're already home so this isn't an immediate action.

Let the 80 mile torment be a thing of the past for you. Let's just hope they didn't beat on the car too too bad. And even if they did, you still have warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by Z0HS1CK:
iw172 (07-28-2018), Satanspawn (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:23 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Exactly why I hate stealerships. I’m like yourself, OCD about my things and would go nuts if that happened. I would go directly to the dealer principle to discuss. If nothing comes out of it, I would slander their name over any social media I could and make sure everyone knows how they treat customers cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vegas1500:
97Black (07-27-2018), mammoth713 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Well there goes that.

Thankfully every time my Z was in the shop, i was there to monitor it.

When i did the 500 mile oil change, my tints, my xpipe install and most recently, my 4 tire swap with alignment. I was there waiting in person.

But if i hadn't, i would have definitely logged the miles. When i bought my wrx for a tire swap with a TPMS reset, the invoice said mileage in, mileage out, with the same mileage. But i was in the waiting room watching the whole thing, so there wasn't any test drive.

You can't sign papers without reading them, that should be the first thing you learn as an adult. With ANYTHING. Buying a car, a house etc. You always always have to read the paper before you sign. It's a legal document.

Right now you can't do anything because you signed the paperwork stating the mileage is correct. And the fact you're already home so this isn't an immediate action.

Let the 80 mile torment be a thing of the past for you. Let's just hope they didn't beat on the car too too bad. And even if they did, you still have warranty.
As for signing the papers i did read the invoice and the mileage showed that they were the same. I had no reason to doubt that until i saw the actual mileage that they didn't log correctly. There was no service adviser or service manager there as it was the end of the day. I left voice mails to both of them. I will follow up on Monday and post my response from the dealership.
Vegas1500 (07-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer took my car on a joyride

Old 07-27-2018, 09:48 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

As for signing the papers i did read the invoice and the mileage showed that they were the same. I had no reason to doubt that until i saw the actual mileage that they didn't log correctly. There was no service adviser or service manager there as it was the end of the day. I left voice mails to both of them. I will follow up on Monday and post my response from the dealership.
But when did you notice the mileage was incorrect? At the dealer before you drove home? Or when you got home?

If you already got home, too late. You can call and call and complain over the phone but it's now your word against theirs. And of course they wanna save their butt so of course they'll deny anything you say.

If you noticed it before you left the dealer, i would have went right back in the dealer and demanded for them to redo the invoice with the correct mileage. I'm guessing you didn't notice it before you left the dealer otherwise you would have done this. I hope.

What about a dash cam? You have one of those? If not, definitely invest in one. That's the first thing i did when i got my Z. Well actually i have dash cams in all my cars now. Not only for this reason, but any reason. But the dash cam would definitely help your case here.

Following up on monday does no good except make your case even harder to prove. Sorry man but there's really nothing you can do but like another person said and just cause havoc to that dealer on every review site there is. Usually dealers respond QUICK to any negative feedback on google reviews. If you want, i can do it for you under an alias name lol.

I would start with google and yelp. Lots of business respond to those right away.
97Black (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 PM
Tennispro1986
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

If it were me I would raise the absolute most insane amount of hell. This is a 100k car and this is completely unacceptable. I would legit request for a brand new car as having some idiot drive my car 80 miles I would seriously have concerns if any kind of damage was done. This is an extremely serious case and needs to be taken care of so you are 100% happy with the outcome.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

If you have Onstar you can look up the mileage and actual trip on your phone with the Onstar app. It will show you the start and stop points on a map, how many times is was hard accelerated and where, etc., along with a time log of the trip. Take it to the dealer's General Manger and raise hell.
The following 2 users liked this post by tertiumquid:
C6_Racer_X (07-28-2018), Vegas1500 (07-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Dealer took my car on a joyride