C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 02:02 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I hope you're joking. You know that you're not going to impress anyone in Beverly Hills with a Corvette right? Their pool boys drive 911s.

is that right ? I have been living here for 27 years and never seen pool boy drive 911,

but if you must know, nice Z06 is just head turning as any Ferrari here.
u telling me this is less of car than pool buys 911? Lol

Last edited by C7ZO6; 02-29-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Exia
Lets be real here. Women in general don't care what car your driving. Women are most certainly not looking at your friends M3 more then the guys are. Maybe its the area your driving in but in general this is not a common occurrence.
Mostly all girls don't care about what car you drive you're right.

But like the clothes you wear, your smile, the way you do your hair, is an impression people notice right away, before even knowing anything about you.

They see a guy in a luxury car as a status thing. They see him as "successful". That's how girls think.

When girls see a guy driving a corvette, they think, "mid life crisis". That guy bought that car because that's his only enjoyment in life lol
Old 02-29-2020, 06:32 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7ZO6
i didn’t say I wanted to impress girls with my car, it’s a prestige of the z06 vs Canaro to me.

to compare a vehicle that has a performance of a super car to Camaro is ridicules
can Camaro hit 1.2g on figure 8?
can it stop 97 ft from 60 to 0?
can it hit 200 mph ?
just to name few.

canaro is also faster than Ford GT probably
but at the end of the day it’s a Camaro not ford GT.

so dont compare Camaro to Z06
Don't compare? The freaking thread title is ZL1 or z06 what are you talking about?

The end of the day it's just a camaro the same way at the end of the day we drive corvettes. Why do you think we drive superior vehicles to anything? Our cars are plastic sports cars.

Btw that, "just a camaro" can hit 200mph. In fact, isn't it 202mph??

Camaro is still engineered better than the z06. Doesn't overheat, and still run about the same times lol. While being like 800lbs heavier lol
Old 02-29-2020, 08:43 AM
FiftyFiv3
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

is that right ? I have been living here for 27 years and never seen pool boy drive a 911
Can confirm, I am pool boy
The following 2 users liked this post by FiftyFiv3:
bc928 (03-05-2020), Tuf2Pas (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 09:37 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Haha you missed one tiny difference and its the biggest.
when I drive to a local lounge in Beverly Hills, I am in a beautiful corvette Z06 Not in a camro

is That enough?
That's just sad. I drive a car for me and have no need to try to impress people I don't even know.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas Vette (03-03-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 10:18 AM
VirginiaAgent
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
That's just sad. I drive a car for me and have no need to try to impress people I don't even know.

The financial advisor Dave Ramsey has a great line. "Most people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't know."

I have a Z because I like it.
edster75 (03-03-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 10:31 AM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 387 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Mostly all girls don't care about what car you drive you're right.

But like the clothes you wear, your smile, the way you do your hair, is an impression people notice right away, before even knowing anything about you.

They see a guy in a luxury car as a status thing. They see him as "successful". That's how girls think.

When girls see a guy driving a corvette, they think, "mid life crisis". That guy bought that car because that's his only enjoyment in life lol
I have a torch red 18 z05 and I have been asked if its a "Chick Magnet". Here in south florida you see exotics regularly. I only get attention from other guys and kids. Mostly really old guys who say they had one during the civil war.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:42 AM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

is that right ? I have been living here for 27 years and never seen pool boy drive 911,

but if you must know, nice Z06 is just head turning as any Ferrari here.
u telling me this is less of car than pool buys 911? Lol

As a point of reference, I have the coupe twin of your car and a red GT3. The Z06 is a hit with the under 10 crowd and the 911 is with anyone who actually races, or hopes to, on a track. I don't care who likes them, I do, and that's all that matters. In Beverly Hills, the GT3 might get a "Don't you wish you had a GT3RS instead?". The only "Nice car" I've heard on Wilshire Blvd is when a Pagani or Bugatti cruised by. You can see a Ferrari every minute.

The pool boy reference comes from an old friend who was starting a pool service business in Beverly Hills in the mid 80s - and he had a 911. He didn't drive it to work obviously which might explain why you don't think you ever saw one. I've lost touch with him over the years but he was ambitious then and I'm sure he has 10 of them now. I hope so.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:55 AM
c6txvette
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Yes guys it is very sad that “few” people get these kinda cars to impress people and for attention. It’s even more prevalent in my generation (millennial). Hell I have friends asking me regularly to borrow my Z (not to race it either) to impress the ladies lmfao. Mine is a manual so that literally makes 95% go away (they can’t drive stick). Yes I definitely get the oh my god I bet you have “hella chicks huh” comments as I practically live in the gym (I do physique competitions) and am attractive to say the least and drive my blacked out Z. My surprising response is alway the truth which is no, and I bought the car to push to its limits (700+ rwhp) in Mexico and to race it. I could care less for the attention although yeah it’s nice but usually from guys and other gear heads seldom girls. Besides my stock for now Zl1 and trackhawk (rebuilt salvage not ready yet) I daily a 2004 silver Buick rendezvous that just turned 73k original miles and I love that thing. It’s hideous but in mint condition, and in no way a head turner or chick magnet. It is paid for and does everything I need it to with basic liability insurance. My friends gives me a hard time abt it bc it’s not a panty dropper but like I said, I live myself and don’t need material stuff to define me or for attention.

This thread went a hair off topic but I wanted to share my .02 bc I don’t wanna be lumped in that “I bought a Z to showboat” group. My Z gets beat on and enjoyed. To hell with girls or gold diggers thinking I’m loaded (which I’m most certainly not). Love life and yourselves gents

Last edited by c6txvette; 02-29-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:57 AM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 372 Posts

For those of you who think Camaro is as good or equivalent to c7Z06

Plese go join pony car forum.

You totally missed my point about prestige of the z06 vs Canaro, now you keep talking out of you *** about impressing girls or people.

indont gonto buisness meeting with Canaro.

To the question, as far as do I wish I had GT3 rs? lmaoo,
any given day I can buy that car, not one but 50 of those, speak for yourself kid ,
but what I wish is that corvette guys will grow up and defend the vehicle they love, that what I wish more.

I am out,
have fun with your pony car.
and chears to all pool boys who made enough to buy 911, they should of got Camaro.
haha

Old 02-29-2020, 12:16 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

For those of you who think Camaro is as good or equivalent to c7Z06

Plese go join pony car forum.

You totally missed my point about prestige of the z06 vs Canaro, now you keep talking out of you *** about impressing girls or people.

indont gonto buisness meeting with Canaro.

To the question, as far as do I wish I had GT3 rs? lmaoo,
any given day I can buy that car, not one but 50 of those, speak for yourself kid ,
but what I wish is that corvette guys will grow up and defend the vehicle they love, that what I wish more.

I am out,
have fun with your pony car.
and chears to all pool boys who made enough to buy 911, they should of got Camaro.
haha
I simply don't know what to say, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snowwolfe:
c6txvette (02-29-2020), serpent (03-02-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 03:50 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by desibaba
I have a torch red 18 z05 and I have been asked if its a "Chick Magnet". Here in south florida you see exotics regularly. I only get attention from other guys and kids. Mostly really old guys who say they had one during the civil war.
Almost everyone i know, even at work, do not care about the corvette. When i showed them pics of mine they say it looks nice but that's about it. When we see luxury cars in our parking lot, they seem to be interested in those.

A car like the corvette, people from the outside looking in, not car enthusiasts, do not like the corvette. They might think it looks cool but that will be the end of it. They have no desire to try to attain one, to see if they can get a ride, or find someone that has one so they can go drive it etc.

And the reason why? Most people DO NOT like small tight sports cars. Especially nowadays. Like you said, the only people that seem most interested are other dudes and kids. I get the most attention from those.

People like driving in comfort. And most don't care about speed. However if you drive a performance luxury car, as long as it's comfortable and stylish, the performance is secondary, people like that better.

Hell some of my coworkers like the hellcat charger over the corvette lol. Because it's comfortable.It's a fast sedan.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 02-29-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:49 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,869 Likes on 3,230 Posts

Hell some of my coworkers like the hellcat charger over the corvette lol. Because it's comfortable.It's a fast sedan.
you work at Walmart? Or a flea market?
LT4CMG (03-01-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:47 PM
d454brisson
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Different tools for different Jobs. It really depends on what you want to do. The Camaro will feel sluggish compared to the Z06.It will squat on launch and lurch into the turns. I have a 5th Gen ZL1 and a 18 Z06. The LT4 is just as hard to mod in the ZL1 as it is in the Z06. Most items are pretty tight, headers may be easier. I pretty much have a max effort 5thgen 2014, Upper lower Pulleys, Kong Ported Super charger getting about 18psi boost. Cam, Headers, Pro Meth kit in Lid, interchiller, injectors mag ride etc etc. I have turned every wrench that touched a bolt on the car. A LT4 cam change means the heads are coming off. The LT4 runs out of fuel quick so mod for mod the Z06 weight and better handling out weighs the ZL1.

6th gen back seats are useless unless for kids or short rides, even tighter than the 5th gen. Mine has the cage back there so its a 2 seater anyway.

Most tuners are still having issue with torque management on the A10 so you will possibly have to determine your ceiling ahead of time and make sure you have a very competent tuner. I have seen a Zl1 with a bad trans tune at the track and it can get really sloppy. The gears are so close the computer thinks it needs to skip a gear if the TM gets confused or it pulls total timing and falls on its face.

If overall perf is the goal the Z06 is a better starting point. If you start going max effort it will become a heavy 2 seater with worse weight distro than the Z06.
I was going to sell my 5th gen and get a 6th gen Zl1, I am so glad I didn't as the 5th is easier to make power, it would be like starting over. I sold a 2004 Viper get the Z06 and the Z06 is much more civilized but just as quick and fun. its great having both.

All the sentiments about status are just that (i take both to business meetings and offsites, with the ZL1 I just hang the parachute off the back)

Last edited by d454brisson; 02-29-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by d454brisson
Different tools for different Jobs. It really depends on what you want to do. The Camaro will feel sluggish compared to the Z06.It will squat on launch and lurch into the turns. I have a 5th Gen ZL1 and a 18 Z06. The LT4 is just as hard to mod in the ZL1 as it is in the Z06. Most items are pretty tight, headers may be easier. I pretty much have a max effort 5thgen 2014, Upper lower Pulleys, Kong Ported Super charger getting about 18psi boost. Cam, Headers, Pro Meth kit in Lid, interchiller, injectors mag ride etc etc. I have turned every wrench that touched a bolt on the car. A LT4 cam change means the heads are coming off. The LT4 runs out of fuel quick so mod for mod the Z06 weight and better handling out weighs the ZL1.

6th gen back seats are useless unless for kids or short rides, even tighter than the 5th gen. Mine has the cage back there so its a 2 seater anyway.

Most tuners are still having issue with torque management on the A10 so you will possibly have to determine your ceiling ahead of time and make sure you have a very competent tuner. I have seen a Zl1 with a bad trans tune at the track and it can get really sloppy. The gears are so close the computer thinks it needs to skip a gear if the TM gets confused or it pulls total timing and falls on its face.

If overall perf is the goal the Z06 is a better starting point. If you start going max effort it will become a heavy 2 seater with worse weight distro than the Z06.

All the sentiments about status are just that (i take both to business meetings and offsites, with the ZL1 I just hang the parachute off the back)
The z06 (or corvette) should be a "bit faster", it is chevy's flagship car. But the ZL1 is not far behind, if at all, to the corvette.

Stock vs stock, i think they both trap 127mph. Which is fast. So considering the extra weight the ZL1 has, it's no slouch. You're right if the goal is to hit the course more often than the street, the z06 should be the way to go. Plus it looks better.

However i think what the OP wants to know is, how is the ZL1 in comparison to the z06 in terms of a replacement. They're both fast. And if the z06 is faster, it's minimal.

I mean if OP wants to even go on a limb here, he should get the 2020 GT500, which is faster than both the z06 and the ZL1. At least in a straight line. Traps 133.

It's hard to take this threads seriously because this is a car specific forum. It's not a general car forum. So obviously you'll get 98% of answers to be of the car this forum belongs to. The corvette.

I do think most of the A10 problems are on the ford side of things. I honestly don't see many camaro guys having issues. But again it's been a while since i been on those forums since selling my camaro.

If OP is considering either car in stock form, or very close to stock, the ZL1 is a great replacement. Not an upgrade, i'd say it's about equal. Same power, same performance. But more usable. So 1 point extra for the camaro.

Honestly, i think the GT500 is a SLIGHT upgrade to the z06. Not in looks, but everything else. Z06 looks better than any car mentioned here.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:11 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 835 Likes on 609 Posts

While not a 2020 version, I have driven a zl1 and own a z06 c7. I find the z06 faster and a bit more wild than the zl1. I feel the extra weight of a zl1 when driving. It feels like the extra heft Ifeeling I got from c6 to c7.

While I say the z06 is a bit trickier to drive, I mean more so at the limit. The z06 requires you to be a better driver and the zl1 I feel like I have some extra leeway to work with.

The camaro is a good choice. Enjoy it.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:31 AM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,609 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Not sure who here has owned a Camaro, but I've owned several, almost all generations. It would be foolish to think the current gen Camaro ZL1 is not an amazing performer, but sorry, as with all generations, the vette is your next step higher in the Chevy performance world. Whether a weekend cruiser or a track machine, Z06 > ZL1. Unless of course entry and exit is a problem due to some type of a medical issue, then obviously the taller car would be best
Jbugg (03-03-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1

Old 03-01-2020, 08:16 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4CMG
Not sure who here has owned a Camaro, but I've owned several, almost all generations. It would be foolish to think the current gen Camaro ZL1 is not an amazing performer, but sorry, as with all generations, the vette is your next step higher in the Chevy performance world. Whether a weekend cruiser or a track machine, Z06 > ZL1. Unless of course entry and exit is a problem due to some type of a medical issue, then obviously the taller car would be best
This!
Old 03-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by SladeX
While not a 2020 version, I have driven a zl1 and own a z06 c7. I find the z06 faster and a bit more wild than the zl1. I feel the extra weight of a zl1 when driving. It feels like the extra heft Ifeeling I got from c6 to c7.

While I say the z06 is a bit trickier to drive, I mean more so at the limit. The z06 requires you to be a better driver and the zl1 I feel like I have some extra leeway to work with.

The camaro is a good choice. Enjoy it.
It is a good choice. The z06 should be better than the zl1 otherwise chevy f'ed up and no one would buy the corvette really lol. Or not many. As most people prefer cars they can use. While the z06 "can" be daily'ed, it's not ideal for it, nor good at it. The camaro would make a better performance car daily. That's why it's a good alternative to the z06, because you can use it everyday like a normal car. The z06 is a selective day car.

The 10 speed in the ZL1 is amazing though. In stock form. Whereas the 8 speed in the z06 is not, in stock form.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:57 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,869 Likes on 3,230 Posts

​​​​​​ .
The 10 speed in the ZL1 is amazing though. In stock form. Whereas the 8 speed in the z06 is not, in stock form.
Says the person who never owned either.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1