C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 10:27 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Default C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1

Some of you have the privilege of owning, driving, or having friends who have multiple sports cars. If you had the chance to drive both how would you compare them? The biggest differences is the ZL1 has a tiny back seat and trunk. But I was hoping for some input on power and handling.
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 AM
c6txvette
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

I have both (technically 3) 2018 Zl1 M6 completely stock, 700+ rwhp C7Z M7 and a A8 Z06. I prefer my modded C7Z hands down bc I’m all about the thumpy cam and the attention it gives me. Zl1 is a hair more tame (stock vs stock), and easier to work on and less prone from *** end kicking out from you on rolls lol. Essentially same damn car. Just one gets wayyy more attention than the other. Both suck for fuel mileage haha, zl1 might be a tad better for daily driving although I’m in Houston so I can daily my vettes 95% of the time year around.

Last edited by c6txvette; 02-28-2020 at 11:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by c6txvette:
Evan Sanza (01-20-2024), Harbgrogan (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Pros for the ZL1 (my opinion): Power is endless, same LT4 so pretty mod friendly, exhaust sounds more like a muscle car than the vette, lots of burble on decel. ZL1 has a bit more ground clearance and doesn't seem to have the issues with bent rims since the wheels are a little smaller (305s in the back). The ZL1 has the 10-speed auto option which is just magic and I'm a hard core manual guy. That tranny is the only one I've driven besides Porsche's PDK which I would be ok with instead of a Manual. The manual in the ZL1 is great too and it's an M6 so a little easier to find the gears than an M7 imho since it only has 2 gates instead of 3. I think the ZL1 is a little easier to work on. No shudder on the A10. Less $$ than a Z06. The ZL1 is a really fun street car imho, especially for the money. Back seats - although if you put anyone back there over the age of 5 they won't be happy.

Cons for the ZL1: It's a heavier car and feels like it compared to the Z06 on a track (non-ZL1-1LE cars obviously). On the street you likely won't notice that as much because the power is so good and the car works with the A10 seamlessly. Visibility is worse imho even with the blind spots of the Vette. Every honda Civic wants to race you on the street.

The Z06 is not as friendly as a daily driver imho because of the ground clearance primarily but it's a pure rocket ship to drive. It feels like it has at least 50-100 more horsepower to me because of the weight difference primarily. You'll get a little more attention in a Z06, not a lot of respect from other supercar drivers or casual passersby for the Camaro for some reason (if that matters to you - personally I drive what I like and could care less). The Z06 is a lot tighter inside so, if you are a bigger person, the Camaro will have more room for shoulders and head. It took me a while to find a decent seating position in the Z06 and I don't fit really well with a helmet on (I'm 6'4 with more of a longer torso). I do love the targa top type setup on the Vette though, it's a nice in-between so you can pretend you have a convertible but still track the car. I think the Z06 has just as much room, if not more, than the trunk of the Camaro and the opening is obviously bigger so it's easier to get things like golf clubs in there (unless you are talking about a vert, you can't fit anything in the trunk of a vert on the gen 6 Camaro or C7).
Old 02-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys !
One of the main reasons I purchased the ZL1 was due to the “stealth factor” so the fact few people know of the cars capabilities makes me happy. It’s not a daily driver, just a fun car to keep smiles on this old guys face and shock a person every now and then on the street. It took awhile to find a car that did not have a sun roof. Hate the way they cut down on the interior headroom.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-28-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:36 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,260 Posts

ZL1 will make a better street car because you don't have to worry about scraping everywhere, and you can fit people (although not tall people lol) in the back. It makes a better street/corner carver/grand tourer car.

The Z is more of a weekend car. Something to look foward to when you're at work during the week. Then when you take it out, all the stress goes away.

If you're the type to want to drive your toy everyday, the ZL1 is a better choice. Plus the auto is better, if you decide auto for either. The A10 is lightning quick whereas the A8, stock vs stock, isn't really unless you're throttle is pinned to the floor. And even then only 2-3, and 3-4 is fast. Everything else isn't and the downshifts are atrocious.

Plus an auto Z will overheat whereas the ZL1 will not. GM seemed to have engineered the ZL1 better than the z06. The ZR1 seems like the perfect C7, if you can swing the price.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:46 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,860 Likes on 3,227 Posts

This guy above is a comic....

Thw Z06 won't overheat. only in hot 90f days on track when driven properly (using manual mode not leaving it in auto).

Never owned an A8 - he has no clue.

Hope that helps.

Camaro will always be a Camaro and corvette is always recognized by all as the next level up. Any average joe still thinks a base stingray would be better to have than a ZL1 camaro (and for certain reasons basically anything other than speed - it is).
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
bc928 (03-05-2020), JWingo (03-03-2020), Y2KFirehawk (03-03-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 07:04 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
This guy above is a comic....

Thw Z06 won't overheat. only in hot 90f days on track when driven properly (using manual mode not leaving it in auto).

Never owned an A8 - he has no clue.

Hope that helps.

Camaro will always be a Camaro and corvette is always recognized by all as the next level up. Any average joe still thinks a base stingray would be better to have than a ZL1 camaro (and for certain reasons basically anything other than speed - it is).
We can agree to disagree. I could buy any new Corvette I want but cancelled the C8 and passed on buying a new Z06 to own the ZL1. I love sleepers. Maybe that's why I also owned a 2017 SS sedan for awhile, awesome car. Loved the fact that few people knew anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 07:34 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

You can't see out of either of them. Neither of them have a back seat. The choice was obvious for me. ZO6!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
We can agree to disagree. I could buy any new Corvette I want but cancelled the C8 and passed on buying a new Z06 to own the ZL1. I love sleepers. Maybe that's why I also owned a 2017 SS sedan for awhile, awesome car. Loved the fact that few people knew anything about it.
Well this is a corvette forum so 90% of the members here don't see any other car besides the corvette. So all other cars don't exist.

The ZL1 is a better engineered car over the z06 period. If the car was lighter, it would probably run laps around it lol. The only thing the Z has over the ZL1 definitely, is the looks. And even then some people don't even like the z06, or corvette in general. My friend with an M3 doesn't like my car at all. He said it's an old mans car. He prefers luxury performance like M cars and AMG etc. He said after 25, you have to grow up and get into luxury cars lol. In a way he has a point.

I had a camaro before. Yes the visibility sucked big time but on long trips, the car cruises better than my Z. And i didn't even have a ZL1. I'm sure with the ZL1, with the tech it has and the power, it's probably an amazing everyday car. The Z isn't that. It's a weekend car.

And again, the 10 speed is amazing. So much better over the 8 speed.

You don't overheat in the ZL1 right?

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 02-28-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:03 PM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Well this is a corvette forum so 90% of the members here don't see any other car besides the corvette. So all other cars don't exist.

The ZL1 is a better engineered car over the z06 period. If the car was lighter, it would probably run laps around it lol. The only thing the Z has over the ZL1 definitely, is the looks. And even then some people don't even like the z06, or corvette in general. My friend with an M3 doesn't like my car at all. He said it's an old mans car. He prefers luxury performance like M cars and AMG etc. He said after 25, you have to grow up and get into luxury cars lol. In a way he has a point.

I had a camaro before. Yes the visibility sucked big time but on long trips, the car cruises better than my Z. And i didn't even have a ZL1. I'm sure with the ZL1, with the tech it has and the power, it's probably an amazing everyday car. The Z isn't that. It's a weekend car.

And again, the 10 speed is amazing. So much better over the 8 speed.

You don't overheat in the ZL1 right?
Haha you missed one tiny difference and its the biggest.
when I drive to a local lounge in Beverly Hills, I am in a beautiful corvette Z06 Not in a camro

is That enough?

Last edited by C7ZO6; 02-28-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:04 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 375 Posts

To me, as a car guy, they are both good, I love 6th gen Canaro's and C7 Corvettes. I owned a 2016 Camaro before moving to the C7.

The ZL1 is badass. These cars are rare. Z06s can be spotted from time to time even in my neck of the woods. I've seen a ZL1 once and that was at a Camaro meet in 2017 when the first ones rolled in. These cars look badass and are serious street cars for the money. They put the power down much better on public roads. I would not call them stealth, these cars stand out. They are however very large feeling when driving them, the chassis hides this well but you cant escape that your driving around in a tank, a very very agile and powerful tank.

The Z06 has that look. 2 seats, low, short, long hood, short deck. This car is a looker, the Camaro is mean and stands out. The Z06 is nasty and sleak with good lines. It does has the presence a 650hp car should and it drives like one as well. The cockpit feels like a sports car.

The ZL1 is, in my opinion, a better performance bargain then any C7 model. However it loses out in every other non performance metric. The Z06 is the looker, it feels better, it has more presence and a better cockpit but you gotta pay to get it.

If all you care about is having a badass car for the street get a ZL1, its a monster. If you want something with more finesse and can afford the increase get a Z06.

I could afford the Z06 so I got it but I will always give a thumbs up to a ZL1 or even an SS 1LE. Those cars are good.

​​​​
Old 02-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7ZO6
when I drive to a local lounge in Beverly Hills, I am in a beautiful corvette Z06 Not in a camro

is That enough?

OP isn't from the hills, and neither am i.

I love the Z over the ZL1. Looks way better. If you're implying that you wanna impress girls, i hate to say it, but around here, girls don't care about corvettes. When i ride with my friend in his M3, which is lowered on nice wheels, more girls look at that. And my Z looks amazing, dropped, with the dark tints. It looks menacing. Mostly guys look, kids, other car guys etc. When we go for a ride in the M3, mostly girls look.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 375 Posts

I love the Z over the ZL1. Looks way better. If you're implying that you wanna impress girls, i hate to say it, but around here, girls don't care about corvettes. When i ride with my friend in his M3, which is lowered on nice wheels, more girls look at that. And my Z looks amazing, dropped, with the dark tints. It looks menacing. Mostly guys look, kids, other car guys etc. When we go for a ride in the M3, mostly girls look.
Lets be real here. Women in general don't care what car your driving. Women are most certainly not looking at your friends M3 more then the guys are. Maybe its the area your driving in but in general this is not a common occurrence.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:38 PM
C7ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 372 Posts

i didn’t say I wanted to impress girls with my car, it’s a prestige of the z06 vs Canaro to me.

to compare a vehicle that has a performance of a super car to Camaro is ridicules
can Camaro hit 1.2g on figure 8?
can it stop 97 ft from 60 to 0?
can it hit 200 mph ?
just to name few.

canaro is also faster than Ford GT probably
but at the end of the day it’s a Camaro not ford GT.

so dont compare Camaro to Z06
Old 02-28-2020, 10:05 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Another thread gone to ****. Guess I should of been clearer and state I wanted to know about the performance factor. The status of a car means absolutely nothing to me.
Besides, in my 20 year Corvette ownership the only people interested in my cars have been younger kids and old guys. Chicks could care less.
The following 4 users liked this post by Snowwolfe:
niterydr (05-24-2023), serpent (03-02-2020), Vegas Vette (03-03-2020), Z0HS1CK (02-29-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,860 Likes on 3,227 Posts

Stop cryin about a thread gone to **** my god.

You asked about differences several people gave you examples. Pretty much everyone who answered even that guy who changes screen names 3x a year has had experiences with both...

What else do you want to hear?

You made the right decision to get the ZL1?

Great car.. best of luck on camaro6 forum.

Hopping into a Camaro- albeit their top model, is still nothing special (to me and spme others here obviously) when compared to a C7 Z06.

Reminds me of the porsche forum when the cayman Gt4 comes up in a 911 thread lol. Too funny.

If I didn't explain myself clearly above.

This is my buddy's second ZL1. He had a gen 5 ZL first which was HC and ran mid 10s

that's my Z06 and my buddy who owns a performance shop's on the other side of the ZL1.. great car. But doesn't feel "special" like it does when you climb in the vette.

Rides better, more comfortable for longer ride. Great chassis too.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 02-28-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:48 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 508 Posts

My first impression on the zl1 1LE....why are these seats as big and thick as a couch LOL. The c7 competition seats look a million times better.

they also KILL tires because they have 300lbs more on the front end than a C7z.

better engineered? If you want to track on a 100 degree day sure the zl1 will run cooler but nobody is overheating a z06 on the street and even on the track the manuals don’t overheat they just start to pull timing.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1

Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 PM
KM1959
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by C7ZO6

is That enough?
I hope you're joking. You know that you're not going to impress anyone in Beverly Hills with a Corvette right? Their pool boys drive 911s.
The following 5 users liked this post by KM1959:
bc928 (03-05-2020), c6txvette (02-29-2020), serpent (03-02-2020), VNAMVET (03-01-2020), Z0HS1CK (02-29-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:36 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 690 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
I hope you're joking. You know that you're not going to impress anyone in Beverly Hills with a Corvette right? Their pool boys drive 911s.
a nice c7z still fits in anywhere.

im talking:

stage 2.5 aero (no center clear bridge)
comp seats
3lz
carbon dash
suede
color stitching

if you have that and someone checks your car out they will be very impressed. I know from experience from being in a car club with mclaren 675LT, GT2RS and 488’s .
Old 02-29-2020, 01:03 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 761 Likes on 574 Posts

Geez the Zl1 is an Awesome car!!! and you can't go wrong owning one. The Z and the Zl1 has there differences, but I wouldn't bash the Zl1. I had a 5th gen Zl1 and I loved that car and was sorry to let it go and it didn't even have the LT4 . The good news is I sold it to get my 2019 Z and couldn't be happier. There both great cars in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Savoy2001 (03-01-2020)

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs 2020 ZL1