Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 12:48 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 715 Likes on 372 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by msm859
Sorry, I can not wrap my head around such a dystopian future. Nor do I see any difference in such a goal whether you are driving a modern ICE or BEV. They are both completely controlled by electronics. The current C8 has Onstar and OTA updates. The problem with production everyone is having for cars today is "chips" all the computers needed to operate a modern car. The source of power for the "motor" is the least of the concern - neither will operate without electronics. I stand by my position that "in your imagined world", with a BEV you at least have some control over the fuel source.
It's coming. They hacked a Grand Cherokee a couple years ago and were able to move it and drive it via it's satellite link.

When you start to realize that electric power steering is now in every vehicle, electronically shifted transmissions, and on and on. Now add the 2026 mandate for all vehicles to have a remote kill switch - who decides when to shut down your ICE or EV?
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 03:10 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,658 Posts

@NW-99SS - You mean like when my Nav system tells me to take a turn that is just silly and keeps insisting that I make a u-turn at the next light?

I've been telling people they could be tracked since I had a bag phone sitting in my passenger seat. The technology out there now is just incredible. I may be getting older but I refuse to be that 80 year old who can't figure it out.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:54 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
The way its been hinted to its only the E Ray right now. C9 looks like its going full electric AWD to me.
Just got the new Corvette Enthusiast issue and the editorial is also reporting that a Corvette SUV (fully electric) like the Ford Mach e is also coming as well. I was hopping that would never happen but it looks like it will. Ferarri is also developing an SUV. Mad world we live in.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,830 Likes on 6,759 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Just got the new Corvette Enthusiast issue and the editorial is also reporting that a Corvette SUV (fully electric) like the Ford Mach e is also coming as well. I was hopping that would never happen but it looks like it will. Ferarri is also developing an SUV. Mad world we live in.
For Ferrari and Porsche, it's different. They have unique dealerships. Recall when we bought the wife's early Cayenne, the Porsche statement said, "Our statistics show most Porsche owners have and SUV, we thought, might as well be ours!"

Like GM builds GMC trucks from Chevy's for non Chevy dealers, Porsche builds their SUV's in the plants where they build VW and Audi SUV's. Now with two, the lower cost, smaller Macan and the Cayenne they sell more Porsche SUVs than Sports Cars! . As GM did years ago between some brands they do a good job of differentiating some sheet metal and engines, but basic vehicles are also VWs and Audis.

Ferrari with unique dealerships has a similar upside.

For Chevy between Blazer, Bolt, Equinox, Tahoe and Suburban the same Chevy salesman has more than enough to talk about!

Now one possibility is my thought of Mary Barra and company probable current panic. They have "over committed" to building ONLY EV Cars and Small Trucks by 2035. They are spending all GM's billions and diverting over half the Corvette engineers to EV design, production and batteries. If you consider the design and production cycle for a totally new vehicle that is not far away.

I speculated when a month or so ago GM President announced after next year's "performance hybrid" launch an EV Corvette will follow the Vette was much earlier than logical. Has nothing to do with the ~30,000 sales of Corvettes as that's peanuts to the over 2 million vehicles they sell every year. No, they are in a panic that the average person buying a "grocery getter" does not want or can afford an EV! The EV Vette will strictly be introduced to build some enthusiasm for the average "grocery getter" buyer to "WANT and EV!"
Old 07-07-2022, 12:55 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
For Ferrari and Porsche, it's different. They have unique dealerships. Recall when we bought the wife's early Cayenne, the Porsche statement said, "Our statistics show most Porsche owners have and SUV, we thought, might as well be ours!"

Like GM builds GMC trucks from Chevy's for non Chevy dealers, Porsche builds their SUV's in the plants where they build VW and Audi SUV's. Now with two, the lower cost, smaller Macan and the Cayenne they sell more Porsche SUVs than Sports Cars! . As GM did years ago between some brands they do a good job of differentiating some sheet metal and engines, but basic vehicles are also VWs and Audis.

Ferrari with unique dealerships has a similar upside.

For Chevy between Blazer, Bolt, Equinox, Tahoe and Suburban the same Chevy salesman has more than enough to talk about!

Now one possibility is my thought of Mary Barra and company probable current panic. They have "over committed" to building ONLY EV Cars and Small Trucks by 2035. They are spending all GM's billions and diverting over half the Corvette engineers to EV design, production and batteries. If you consider the design and production cycle for a totally new vehicle that is not far away.

I speculated when a month or so ago GM President announced after next year's "performance hybrid" launch an EV Corvette will follow the Vette was much earlier than logical. Has nothing to do with the ~30,000 sales of Corvettes as that's peanuts to the over 2 million vehicles they sell every year. No, they are in a panic that the average person buying a "grocery getter" does not want or can afford an EV! The EV Vette will strictly be introduced to build some enthusiasm for the average "grocery getter" buyer to "WANT and EV!"
I’m blown away that the new Hummer is 9k lbs and nobody bats an eye, the battery pack alone weighs as much as Corvette. The average weight of vehicles has gone up though EV’s are an even bigger jump, imagine they will require more road maintenance because of this.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,830 Likes on 6,759 Posts

^^^
Yep the rapid PUSH to zero CO2 emissions is foolish IMO. Sure a gradual transition is inevitable and logical BUT not this switch overnight, produce electricity by other than fossil fuels is not viable. Heard Dr. OZ (running for Senate in PA) expound how foolish it is thinking we are making a significant difference when Germany, etc is switching to coal for power generation (to reduce use of Russian Natural Gas.) That coal use will produce more CO2 than all our cars can save. Combine that with the 60% power production in China from Coal and 70% in India. Coal produces twice the CO2/BTU as Natural Gas and we have enough natural gas for >100 years and a lot in PA to supply Europe!

We're currently shipping Liquid Natural Gas BUT could ship a hell of a lot more BUT need more fracking. Can only hope we get politicians who want more than power/control and use logic! As Dr. OZ said if all US cars were using only EV's it's a drop in the bucket savings compared to what the rest of the word is doing! And what about the Methane from cows, pigs, chickens. It's 20 times more a greenhouse gas as CO2!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-07-2022 at 01:54 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JerryU:
Fast Dawg (07-07-2022), Michael A (07-07-2022), Paws (07-08-2022), PRE-Z06 (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 02:04 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,658 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Yep the rapid PUSH to zero CO2 emissions is foolish IMO. Sure a gradual transition is inevitable and logical BUT not this switch overnight, produce electricity by other than fossil fuels is not viable. Heard Dr. OZ (running for Senate in PA) expound how foolish it is thinking we are making a significant difference when Germany, etc is switching to coal for power generation (to reduce use of Russian Natural Gas.) That coal use will produce more CO2 than all our cars can save. Combine that with the 60% power production in China from Coal and 70% in India. Coal produces twice the CO2/BTU as Natural Gas and we have enough natural gas for >100 years and a lot in PA to supply Europe!

We're currently shipping Liquid Natural Gas BUT could ship a hell of a lot more BUT need more fracking. Can only hope we get politicians who want more than power/control and use logic! As Dr. OZ said if all US cars were using only EV's it's a drop in the bucket savings compared to what the rest of the word is doing! And what about the Methane from cows, pigs, chickens. It's 20 times more a greenhouse gas as CO2!
Quit making sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Dawg:
JerryU (07-07-2022), Michael A (07-07-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 03:53 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 3,023 Likes on 1,421 Posts

You could build 100 hybrid cars with the same amount of ore mined for the batteries as it takes for just one full EV. That's nuts!
The following 4 users liked this post by Michael A:
Fast Dawg (07-08-2022), JerryU (07-07-2022), Paws (07-08-2022), PRE-Z06 (07-07-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 02:29 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

yes, very true.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:59 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
You could build 100 hybrid cars with the same amount of ore mined for the batteries as it takes for just one full EV. That's nuts!
Or maybe just 5-10. The Tesla Model Y - probably the most popular EV has a battery size of 75 kWh (usable?). If the ERay came with an 8.3 kWh battery the could make 9 of them vs the Y. If it came with a 16.6 kWh battery that would be 4 1/2.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:13 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

actually the eray will have superior acceleration due to the 4 wheel drive ability - so it aint no "grocery getter"
Old 07-08-2022, 04:26 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Given the size of the motor, and the elimination of exhaust, it seems they should be able to make a real convertible.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:27 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, my experiences over the years with computers would make me differ with the boss lady ! They fail, they get hacked, they dont work as programmed....so, I foresee lots and lots of "crashes" ahead ------ the in-car computers will be crashing, thus the vehicles themselves will be crashing so the the investors $$ will be crashing as the stock crashes. To truly achieve "Zero emissions" the e fans must also factor in the costs of the mining and building and disposal of all of the ev batteries which, while never mentioned, will be a significant number. As to achieving "Zero congestion", it can only occur if everyone is arriving late as the computers slow down the traffic and or reroute all us to less direct streets to keep things moving. This is all such a joke - liquid, non polluting biofuels were being investigated until all the money turned to the evs. Liquid fuel is PORTABLE ! Liquid fuel can also be added quickly! arrgghhhhh
Michael A (07-09-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 05:17 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Or maybe just 5-10. The Tesla Model Y - probably the most popular EV has a battery size of 75 kWh (usable?). If the ERay came with an 8.3 kWh battery the could make 9 of them vs the Y. If it came with a 16.6 kWh battery that would be 4 1/2.
Still not a 100, but the Hummer battery is 213kWh.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:38 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Still not a 100, but the Hummer battery is 213kWh.
Well I would say the Hummer and battery are a little obscene and would prefer they use the raw battery material to build a dozen ERays' with 16.6 kWh batteries. Flip side is the first 6 months of 2022 they only sold 371 Hummers so may not be an impact in the big picture.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:31 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Well I would say the Hummer and battery are a little obscene and would prefer they use the raw battery material to build a dozen ERays' with 16.6 kWh batteries. Flip side is the first 6 months of 2022 they only sold 371 Hummers so may not be an impact in the big picture.
If they’re switching to save the world, why make such an obscene vehicle?
Old 07-09-2022, 12:10 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

If they’re switching to save the world, why make such an obscene vehicle?
I would tend to agree with you. Perhaps the long game is to make EV's "cool" to sway the masses over.

Get notified of new replies

To Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette

Old 07-09-2022, 07:38 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I would tend to agree with you. Perhaps the long game is to make EV's "cool" to sway the masses over.
Seems hypocritical and arrogant to think that’s the way to manipulate people into doing what one wants.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:11 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Seems hypocritical and arrogant to think that’s the way to manipulate people into doing what one wants.
Are you serious? Have you ever watched any commercial. Why do they put beautiful people in clothes they are selling? Why do they paint a beautiful life if you buy a particular product? This is marketing 101. EVERY SINGLE commercial for ANYTHING is an attempt to "manipulate" the prospective purchaser.
Fast Dawg (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:29 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 3,023 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by StingRaycer
So, my experiences over the years with computers would make me differ with the boss lady ! They fail, they get hacked, they dont work as programmed....so, I foresee lots and lots of "crashes" ahead ------ the in-car computers will be crashing, thus the vehicles themselves will be crashing so the the investors $$ will be crashing as the stock crashes. To truly achieve "Zero emissions" the e fans must also factor in the costs of the mining and building and disposal of all of the ev batteries which, while never mentioned, will be a significant number. As to achieving "Zero congestion", it can only occur if everyone is arriving late as the computers slow down the traffic and or reroute all us to less direct streets to keep things moving. This is all such a joke - liquid, non polluting biofuels were being investigated until all the money turned to the evs. Liquid fuel is PORTABLE ! Liquid fuel can also be added quickly! arrgghhhhh
Stop making sense!

I'll add to this. If the goal was really about reducing C02 emissions, all options would be on the table. Instead, all options have been shut down except for battery electric cars which rely on a single energy type. Interesting. And the spotlight shines bright on cars as a major source of all of our C02 emissions, requiring upending our lifestyle and billions of dollars of taxes, when cars only represent 6% of all man made C02 emissions. Interesting.

This full charge to EVs doesn't pass the smell test.
C7Me (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Merge thread - GM announces E-Ray and all electric Corvette