C8 Forced Induction/Nitrous C8 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth

LPE/Magnuson Install Scheduled

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 02:15 PM
degfu
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Default LPE/Magnuson Install Scheduled

I finally decided to go with LPE/Magnuson after many months of contemplating which path to choose for boost. There are so many pros and cons to each route but the Magnuson seemed like the perfect middle ground between the ProCharger and Turbos. Bonus is I get to keep my headers, sport cats and cat back, which you lose with the turbo setup. My roadmap for this build is to end up at a Stage 1.5 making 8-10lbs of boost. The LPE/Magnuson Stage 1 (7lbs) will get you to 700BHP 675TQ (Avg. 600WHP 565TQ). Once thats complete, while the car is still in the shop we are going to do an upgraded clutch and pulley change to add more boost. Do some testing to see how it handles the extra boost, but hoping to be in the 650-675 WHP range.
Stage 2 will be down the road a bit. I will have to wait and see what Lingenfelter comes out with for their stage 2 and see what other shops come up with for clutch/transmission and tuning.
Order is in and hope to have this project wrapped up before the end of July. I'll post some Dyno sheets from pre-build (full exhaust,ported intake; best 60-130 Dragy was 9.40 2300DA), Stage 1 and Stage 1.5. Post build I will get some more Dragy times and share them with you guys.

Edit: I installed the DSS Axles last weekend as part of the Stage 1.5 build

Last edited by degfu; 06-25-2023 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by degfu:
bhansen (07-14-2023), Bucolic (12-05-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 02:17 PM
degfu
Instructor

@OkieVette84 Thank you for all your input and details about your build.
The following users liked this post:
OkieVette84 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 02:27 PM
combatninja
Drifting

Received 2,105 Likes on 904 Posts

Wishing you all the best luck with your build. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
degfu (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 02:37 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by combatninja
Wishing you all the best luck with your build. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Thank you. I’m going to try and push a stage 1 as far as I can before messing with any additional fueling.

Last edited by degfu; 06-25-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:06 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 213 Likes on 129 Posts

Good luck!

Apples and oranges, but I had a Maggy on my c5 (and a cam and 3.73 rear end), and the smaller pully brought the need for alky injection. Ran great, but I would've preferred not dealing with the alky.
degfu (06-25-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 04:24 PM
OkieVette84
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by degfu
@OkieVette84 Thank you for all your input and details about your build.
Which shop are you closest to/going with?

I don't know what all is going to be in stage 2 from LPE, just speculation all around...but I'd be shocked if a clutch isn't part of it. I'd ask them which one they are going to use for stage 2, and put that one in. At least for continuity sake. Hopefully they will be kind enough to share, I mean... they GOTTA know already. I'd be shocked if they haven't put like 10k miles on a car somewhere already. They tested stage 1 for almost a year I think.
Old 06-25-2023, 04:31 PM
OkieVette84
Racer

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

hoping to be in the 650-675 WHP range.
Just make sure to address the fueling issue, you will be 10-15% above what I believe the stock fuel system can handle at that power level. Hard to get any shops to really dive into it while they are all R&D how to solve it, and no one wants to let other shops get the jump on their solution.

We know from procharger set up that the car can handle 14lbs of boost with meth-injection + a tune. (880rwhp @ 0DA ), seems reasonable to expect 675rwhp on 10lbs +/- but you might need to experiment with an E85 tune (if they can/will) or add a secondary external fuel pump to make sure you can feed the monster.

Wish there was more information out and available, I bet there is soon since HP tuners opened the door to more affordable tuning vs Trifecta.

REALLY looking forward to your set up and hearing your results. Keep us posted.
The following 3 users liked this post by OkieVette84:
Bucolic (12-05-2023), degfu (06-25-2023), retired08 (08-24-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 05:24 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by OkieVette84
Which shop are you closest to/going with?

I don't know what all is going to be in stage 2 from LPE, just speculation all around...but I'd be shocked if a clutch isn't part of it. I'd ask them which one they are going to use for stage 2, and put that one in. At least for continuity sake. Hopefully they will be kind enough to share, I mean... they GOTTA know already. I'd be shocked if they haven't put like 10k miles on a car somewhere already. They tested stage 1 for almost a year I think.
We are going to go with a Dodson Super Stock Clutch, conservatively rated at 800 WTQ. The next step up from there is the Dodson Sportsman Clutch and I heard it doesn't drive very well.

Last edited by degfu; 07-11-2023 at 02:59 PM.
bhansen (07-14-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 05:26 PM
INTRUDR
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 314 Posts

Thank you. I’m going to try and push a stage 1 as far as I can before messing with any additional fueling.
@degfu

Congrats on your decision!

I'm trying to follow the various FI options and wonder which tuning approach will be used on your car, since you mentioned it already has modified intake, exhaust, cats, etc..

Their kit specs indicate:
  • Factory ECM calibrated using our Lingenfelter “C-Cal” Process (I admit I still have not been able to determine exactly what their C-Cal Process is).

I believe ProCharger is using a specific flash tune provided to them by Trifecta that is optimized for the OEM cats and exhaust in order to meet emissions specs. My understanding is that any changes to the factory components diminishes the optimized Trifecta tune.

Will the C-Cal approach allow them to tune/optimize for your existing hardware? If so, from previous installs, can they tell you how much better, or worse, your current mods should affect their standard installation performance results?

Is LPE offering the option for them to use the recently announced tuning from HP Tuners on your OEM ECU for your installation? I wonder how much time/effort they've put into that and what improvements they've seen...If they've posted anything on this, I haven't seen it.

The following 4 users liked this post by INTRUDR:
Bucolic (12-05-2023), degfu (06-25-2023), DNAST1 (06-25-2023), QBFREE (07-01-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 05:39 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by OkieVette84
Just make sure to address the fueling issue, you will be 10-15% above what I believe the stock fuel system can handle at that power level. Hard to get any shops to really dive into it while they are all R&D how to solve it, and no one wants to let other shops get the jump on their solution.

We know from procharger set up that the car can handle 14lbs of boost with meth-injection + a tune. (880rwhp @ 0DA ), seems reasonable to expect 675rwhp on 10lbs +/- but you might need to experiment with an E85 tune (if they can/will) or add a secondary external fuel pump to make sure you can feed the monster.

Wish there was more information out and available, I bet there is soon since HP tuners opened the door to more affordable tuning vs Trifecta.

REALLY looking forward to your set up and hearing your results. Keep us posted.
Adding the extra couple pounds of boost will definitely be an experiment. It may have to wait until we do something with a tune or add a cam paired with an auxiliary low pressure fuel pump. Worst case I drive out of there with the stock pulley and an upgraded clutch waiting for more info from these performance shops.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:47 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by INTRUDR
@degfu

Congrats on your decision!

I'm trying to follow the various FI options and wonder which tuning approach will be used on your car, since you mentioned it already has modified intake, exhaust, cats, etc..

Their kit specs indicate:
  • Factory ECM calibrated using our Lingenfelter “C-Cal” Process (I admit I still have not been able to determine exactly what their C-Cal Process is).

I believe ProCharger is using a specific flash tune provided to them by Trifecta that is optimized for the OEM cats and exhaust in order to meet emissions specs. My understanding is that any changes to the factory components diminishes the optimized Trifecta tune.

Will the C-Cal approach allow them to tune/optimize for your existing hardware? If so, from previous installs, can they tell you how much better, or worse, your current mods should affect their standard installation performance results?

Is LPE offering the option for them to use the recently announced tuning from HP Tuners on your OEM ECU for your installation? I wonder how much time/effort they've put into that and what improvements they've seen...If they've posted anything on this, I haven't seen it.

Thank you!

I'm not sure how much my mods will affect the tune, but I do know headers and catback are offered by Lingenfelter as part of their optional upgrades. So I'm thinking they do make some changes to the tune based on those modifications.

As for the C-Cal process, haha, I have no idea what that really means in the grand scheme of tunability. I see there's some little box with dials on it

I keep checking the Lingenfelter site hoping they mention the new tuning option from HP tuners, but nothing so far. I'm guessing that will add cost to the package.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:56 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by INTRUDR
@degfu

There is so little info out there on actual performance numbers. People will post Dyno sheets but not post pre build Dyno sheets. It seems like no one except the guys on this forum are posting any performance numbers (Dragy times).
Old 06-28-2023, 06:27 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 866 Likes on 601 Posts

The factory fuel system? The factory fuel system isn't going to handle 10 psi and 650+ wheel. You'll need a band aid.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:59 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7&7
The factory fuel system? The factory fuel system isn't going to handle 10 psi and 650+ wheel. You'll need a band aid.
Adding the couple extra pounds of boost will be an experiment. I know 2020-21 have bigger injectors than 2022-23, so it seems like Lingenfelter built the kit to cover all the model years. My car is a 2021 so I'm going to see how much boost it can handle. Worst case I leave with the stock pulley, but I'm hoping we can squeeze 2-5mm smaller pulley.
CRS1962 (08-03-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 08:48 PM
degfu
Instructor

New video from a Boost District Install

The following 2 users liked this post by degfu:
Bucolic (12-05-2023), DNAST1 (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 07:00 PM
Goat 2 Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 293 Posts

That blower whine is sweet!
Old 07-05-2023, 07:46 PM
degfu
Instructor

I emailed sales at Lingenfelter to see if they planned on unlocking the ECM with HP Tuners, their response was, "Currently, we do not have any plans on switching from our current ECM calibration methods. We have been calibrating the factory ECM for a year now and have not been having any issues."

I wonder if this be similar to the hassle ProCharger customers have to go through, where they send their ECM back to ProCharger to set it back to factory. Once it's set back to factory then you can send the ECM to HP Tuners for an unlock. Seems like a big PITA.
QBFREE (07-05-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To LPE/Magnuson Install Scheduled

Old 07-05-2023, 08:27 PM
Mikeki7
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

At least procharger sells a version without a tune for a discount. I wish lingenfelter would sell a kit without a tune direct to customer so I can go straight hptuners.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikeki7:
Bucolic (12-05-2023), degfu (07-05-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 09:09 PM
degfu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikeki7
At least procharger sells a version without a tune for a discount. I wish lingenfelter would sell a kit without a tune direct to customer so I can go straight hptuners.
Very true. Seems like they don't want any modifications to their canned package.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:55 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 647 Likes on 485 Posts

Are they still using the piggyback method? If so I would rather go with Doug Eastcoast Supercharger in New Jersey.

Quick Reply: LPE/Magnuson Install Scheduled